Need help with idea for birthday gift for my wife - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Apr 25, 2012.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    (UPDATE at post #56)

Yep - I'm that dumb guy that is a non-romantic and I have just run out of ideas over the years. I need some help. Her birthday is next week, and I want to do something really nice for her.

Key points:
    • She'll be turning 32 years old
    • She works full time as an RN, and full-time masters student (She's about 1/2 way finished... looking at fall 2013 graduating.)
    • Our 10th anniversary is in June
    • She has no hobbies.
    • We have no kids.
    • If I ever give her a gift card to anywhere, she uses it to buy something for someone else.
    • We've got an upcoming vacation planned already.

She did say that she wants to get a pedicure, so I can easily make that happen. And we generally have a nice dinner somewhere with her folks, so I can make that happen. I just want to do something extra special this time around, cause she really deserves it.

In the past 4 years, she's purchased a Taylor 414ce LTD, and two Strats for me. The Taylor was a surprise, 100% her idea. The Strats were guitars that she knew I had my eye on... but one of them she went and got without my knowledge, and gave it to me. The other one, she brought to me and said, "I think this is your style", and insisted that I buy it.

She also had my garage queen professionally detailed while I was out of the country last year.

So she's awesome - and she deserves more than a pedicure and dinner.

I know we're not an overly romantic bunch around here, but what else could I do?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  2. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Philly Burbs
    day spa or a weekend at a spa

3. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    +1...if she likes pedicures, she will like some (ME-TIME) at a spa

4. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 19, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Maybe get your wife a cute great dane puppy?

j/k :D

Dinner, live music, jewelry, take her dancing. After that sorry I'm out of ideas.

5. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

I got a set of pot holders with my picture on them for my last ex-gf. She got so choked up and emotional, she couldn't even speak to me for a week or so.

That's OK though, for some reason, I had a bad bout of food poisoning and couldn't really share her special day with her.

6. garymaddox

garymaddox Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2009
    Foat Wuth, Texus
    The best present I ever bought for my wife is an iPad. Your wife may be different but it's been almost 2 years and she still loves it. All the jewelry I have given her does not add up to the happiness the iPad brought.

7. imsilly

imsilly Friend of Leo's

Feb 15, 2009
    UK
    Give her a present and a hobby, buy her a camera, or something she can use to be creative.

I went through some street markets and bought my girlfriend an old vintage 120mm camera.

People without hobbies scare me.

8. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    jewelry
    candles
    flowers
    bath stuff
    perfume
    dinner for two
    3 visit card to a masseuse
    card
    compliments everyday regardless of birthday
    KY intense :cool:

9. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    NASCAR?

Seriously do a long weekend at a nice hotel, something that really is outside your normal routine. Place with a great restaurant, maybe even a little fancy. If it has a SPA included that would be a nice touch for her while you golf or play that Taylor. That and a nice gift, you score big points.

10. mohair_chair

mohair_chair Tele-Meister

Jul 21, 2011
    Santa Clarita
    Get her a pony. Who wouldn't love a pony?

You got me. I usually buy my wife gift certificates for the spa, which she loves. Or cooking stuff, because she specifically asks for it. She loves to cook. But beyond that, I'm as clueless as you.

One idea I've had is to send her and a girlfriend or two on a girls weekend somewhere. It doesn't have to be far away or expensive. Just somewhere other than here, and she gets to let go of all obligations and responsibilities for a few days.

11. Mike Bruce

Mike Bruce Friend of Leo's

Apr 8, 2008
    Ontario
    Watches were flops. Same for clothes. Cards, not really any affect.

Flowers and a good dinner out have always worked. Same with having all the house work done. When there are no hobbies, household stuff has worked for me. Sometimes art has been good.

12. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Take her away. A getaway trip. To some place she would like, not necessarily your first choice for you.

Reminds me of a true story from a guy I worked with, mountain guy. He and his wife are talking to a marriage counselor. She says, "Jerry never gets me anything." He says, "That's not true, I got you a ladder for your birthday so you could wash the tops of the windows easier, and you haven't even used it once." :eek:

13. Red Square

Red Square Friend of Leo's

Mar 30, 2008
    Atlanta
    I'd think a 10th anniversary wedding band...it would nicely augment her existing one...
    She would dig that!

14. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    No hobbies? Sounds like my wife. But you must know something she likes?

Nice jewelry is great if she'll wear it. The dinner/weekend/spa ideas +1.

But if she likes to browse the web I agree on the iPad.

15. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    greenville, sc
    my motto: "if it's practical, it's not a gift"

16. Mike Bruce

Mike Bruce Friend of Leo's

Apr 8, 2008
    Ontario
    Exact opposite for my bride. Weird how folks are different.

17. chrisgblues

chrisgblues Tele-Afflicted

May 31, 2010
    Halifax
    I did the Spa thing once, spent a lot of money on a gift certificate. In the end, it was just a piece of paper on her birthday. Yeah, I had a few other things, chocolate, etc, but I blew my dough on the spa certificate so that was the big gift.

It's very anti-climactic to hand over a piece of paper and say "Happy Birthday".

I would go for something more personal. Look for a nice digital picture that you've been meaning to print out (preferably of the two of you together) and have it blown up and put it in a nice frame. Very easy to do and very thoughtful.

JMHO.

18. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Get her a Gretsch. I bet she doesn't have one

19. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Lawn mower...

...or a Power washer.

All kidding aside... the thing that my wife appreciates the most is going out for a romantic dinner and then a movie (of her choice, of course).

20. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 20, 2008
    Alabama
    Give her something that she has specifically asked you for (or you know that she wants).
    The only surprise should be her realizing that you remembered it, or made it happen.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.