Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Need help with finishing problem

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by devrock, Sep 20, 2017.

1. devrock

devrock TDPRI Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New England
    So, I've been slogging away at a Gibson V replica since December, as time has permitted. Been a long slog, as it's my first build. Perhaps the biggest headache has been the finish. Too many mistakes to list. But, basically tried doing a candy red with white primer underneath, in order to get close to a KK Downing replica V. Anyway, I actually got to the point where I started applying the clear last week. However, in order to get some help on the frets this past wknd, I took the tape off the fretboard. Well, along the entire edge of the fretboard, on both sides, was a sharp lip where the primer and paint had built up. Long story short, I ruined the finish by trying to carefully scrape this edge away to make everything flush again. All I did was expose the primer and bare wood. I decided to look into sending it out to someone like Stike to do it right.

Anyway, my question (for future reference) is: how the heck do you avoid getting that edge when painting a neck???

Attached Files:

2. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2012
    State College PA
    don't paint the neck ? stain/dye it ?

Bugeater281 and Zepfan like this.

3. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Exactly what I was going to say.

4. devrock

devrock TDPRI Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New England
    Thank you, but that's not the option. Painted necks are fairlystandard. Just want to figure out the right way to do it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.