Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Need help to ID an old Telecaster had 38 years. Might sell

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Sideways, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Sideways

Sideways TDPRI Member

Dec 10, 2017
    Missouri
    2 telecaster 59 004.JPG 2 telecaster 59 001.JPG 2 telecaster 59 004.JPG 2 telecaster 59 001.JPG Telecaster 59 008.JPG Telecaster 59 001.JPG Telecaster 59 002.JPG Telecaster 59 005.JPG Telecaster 59 006.JPG Telecaster 59 007.JPG 2 telecaster 59 004.JPG 2 telecaster 59 001.JPG Telecaster 59 008.JPG Telecaster 59 001.JPG Telecaster 59 002.JPG Telecaster 59 005.JPG Telecaster 59 006.JPG Telecaster 59 007.JPG 2 telecaster 59 004.JPG 2 telecaster 59 001.JPG Telecaster 59 008.JPG Telecaster 59 001.JPG Telecaster 59 002.JPG Telecaster 59 005.JPG Telecaster 59 006.JPG Telecaster 59 007.JPG I am a new forum member and I would like to ask your help on a guitar that I've had since 1980. At the time I had the telecaster that I had bought new in 1974 and a Les Paul Deluxe that I thought I had to have. I met a guy at the theater we were playing in and he had this telecaster, but he was a rocker and I was a country guy. We just traded heads up and I haven't seen him since. When I got the guitar it had a Boogie body on it. He told me that everything was original except the body, pickguard and it had Schaller tuners. Back then, and especially between him and, original didn't mean much. It was a couple weeks that a friend of mine pointed out the difference in the headstock logo. duh! The original body supposedly had been made into a double cutaway, Boogie body put on, and original body went to the dumpster. I was supposed to get the old tuners and pickguard, but didn't and didn't pursue it.
    A friend of mine had a music store and was a Fender dealer at the time, so I bought a new pickguard and a set of tuners. In about a month he called and said that he was supposed to get a couple of bodies from a guy he new that parted out guitars. When he got them, one was obviously a mid 70's because of the cut on the shoulder and the lack of a diagonal rout. (He new all of this, not me). The one that I bought seemed more period correct and was a good fit. The pickups were weak and I sent them to Seymour Duncan and he said that he hand wound them to whatever was correct for that period. The neck nor the body have any date marks on them. I didn't care, I just played it. It was my 6 night a week guitar.
    Fast forward to 1991. The Duchossoir book came out and I started getting interested in vintage guitars and wondering what I had. I guess it would be called a partscaster, but I have just called it the "59". If you guys would be so kind as to help me figure what I have I would really appreciate it. By the way, this is the first time since 1981 that the pickguard has been off or the control plate. (I think previous owner said pots had been changed along with capacitor. Original cap. was in the case and I gave it to Vince Cunetto)Neck has not been disturbed since I put it on this body, but I remember that it had no date.

Danman, brookdalebill and chomps like this.

2. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2010
    Ypsilanti, MI
    According to the interwebs serial number 51983 is from 1960 - 1961. Perhaps take the neck off and take some pictures of the heel and neck pocket.

3. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    MA
    Serial# looks to be 1960, but not sure why the number is on the bottom of the neckplate, not the top. Looks like a cool tele, despite some non-original parts. If the neck is original, you'd be better off financially by parting out all the parts. Bridge looks original, as do controls. If the pickups and neck are also original, maybe keep it together when you sell. parting out and selling all the parts is a PIA. Looks like Robben Ford's early 60's tele

[​IMG]

4. Danman

Danman Tele-Meister

May 12, 2012
    Amsterdam,The Netherlands
    I have 51842 and it also has no neck date and the neck plate also has the serial number at the bottom like this one. That seems correct for 1960 to me.

hrstrat57 likes this.

5. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Feb 10, 2010
    Low Lands
    Very cool guitar! To date the body you might want to check if the body has a router hump or nail holes. I did not see either in the pics so I would estimate it to be mid 60s.

6. Sideways

Sideways TDPRI Member

Dec 10, 2017
    Missouri
    One more thing, I think it used to have threaded saddles. If I replaced them, I still have the old ones around here somewhere. And, it looks like I've got to go back about 40 years and start calling it "ol' 60 somethin'."

7. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    How’s she sound and play sideways?

8. Sideways

Sideways TDPRI Member

Dec 10, 2017
    Missouri
    I have a bone stock 74 and 54 that sound quite similar. The one we are talking about is not as twangy or piercing, whatever the word would be. That being said, it was my main guitar for as many years as I played because I always liked the sound. 90% middle position. But the neck, the neck many people have compared to a touch screen. That's with 9's. It's really low and comfortable. Suits me well, but I don't play anymore.

hrstrat57 likes this.

9. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Great looking guitar!

nojazzhere likes this.

10. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Nice. Wish I was in position to make an offer sideways but just retired and trying to justify hanging on to the gorgeous bits I have.....your mongrel is pretty much my dream machine right there. Sorry you can’t keep her.

Good luck and thanks for sharing the pics. Glorious tele!

11. Sideways

Sideways TDPRI Member

Dec 10, 2017
    Missouri
    It's not that I can't keep it. I just don't need it and it's the only one that I'm not really that sentimental about. Just time to thin the heard a bit. I'm not looking for a "break the bank" price, just fair. I am hoping that it might be worth the bottom end of five figures. It might not. I've sold a couple of banjos lately and I really hate getting 'beat up" about the condition and originality. Seems like you guys on this site are far more forgiving and straightforward. Just looking for some honest input as to what I have and what it might be worth. I plugged it in when I took the pictures to see if it still worked. Can't believe how scratchy the pots were. What's that tell you? Tell's me it's been a while and someone might need to be playing this thing.

Danman likes this.

12. Danman

Danman Tele-Meister

May 12, 2012
    Amsterdam,The Netherlands
    Yes, like you said: A 60 Tele would have the threaded saddles. And it looks like they added a string tree to the 60 neck.
    Like Antoon said: Check the body for the routers hump and nail holes or post a good close up of the cutaway, the neck pocket and the control cavity.
    And you could look under the bridge plate to see if there is a date written under the lacquer.
    It's a cool guitar and I'm sure it sounds great!

13. fernieite

fernieite Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2003
    (Age 55) Toronto
    Looks like some hardware is from 1960.
    Serial number.
    Bridge plate with top loading feature (if you put the stock threaded saddles back on)

Slab rosewood fingerboard (Could be an early 1960, since it has no date)

Most of the electonics look to be changed. What are the date codes on the pots? - Try some deoxit to get rid of the scratchy pots. The tone pot might be an original 1960. I can't tell from the photo, but the switch doesn't look like a stock CRL 1452 either.

Too bad you don't have the original body!

I'd be tempted to remove the second string tree. It looks weird and shouldn't be needed.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018

14. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Tele-Afflicted

Apr 26, 2015
    North Carolina
    Cool tele. Pretty much my favorite. If I had the funds I'd make an offer but sadly I do not. Good luck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.