Need Help ID'ing Speaker Specs

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by CLewisW, Jun 7, 2019.

1. CLewisW

CLewisW TDPRI Member

I would be grateful if somebody could help me figure out some details on this speaker. I'm mostly concerned about identifying the wattage capability. From the other info I've found it seems to be a Rola Jensen and I assume it's alnico.

A bit of backstory: On my way to guitar lessons many years ago I spotted a Hammond organ at the curb and later went back to pick it up. A couple years back I started to part it out to make use of parts that still functioned. As a guitarist I was definitely interested in the speakers. They are both 10 inchers. The other one is a Chicago Jensen and is clearly marked as such, model EM 1002.

This speaker has sparse ID markings so I can't tell a whole lot about it. It's in pretty good shape aside from some minor basket corrosion. The cone and spider are holding strong. The other one is going to Weber for a re-cone because the spider is lifting and the cone is delicate.

I appreciate any and all help with identifying the specs on this speaker. Thank you IMG_3448.JPG IMG_3455.JPG IMG_3454.JPG IMG_3458.JPG

2. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

285 = Rola
    34th week of 1954
    Yes, Alnico magnet. Hammond used quality materials... the AO may refer to quality as with Jensen, P,Q,R Concerts series etc...
    Wattage wise - its probably on the lower end of the spectrum tho the magnet does look a bit beefy. I'd say ~20-25W max. The type of power tubes in the amp section can indicate the output power... a duet of 6V6's or EL84's you're looking at 10-20W watts. 6L6's, EL34's or a approx double the wattage.
    Wally and others can most likely shed more light on things...

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    Wally likes this.
  3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

That being a straight cone is a 'bass' speaker. They paired a straight and ribbed cone in the early days.

Great speaker for early Tweed amp. Probably safe on 15 watts.

Wally likes this.
  4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

CLewisW, that is as Goat notes, a Rola...nothing to do with Jensen. If I that was a 15 watt speaker when it was new, I would think that was a maximum. A Jensen P10R from the period was a 10 watt speaker, iirc.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  5. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Actually 285 = Rola 3 = 1953 and 44 = the 44th week

AO 26689-2 is an internal Hammond part code.

2 Headed Goat and Wally like this.
  6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I had some Roland albino 12s with smaller magnets out of organs they weren’t real clean tone. But that appears to be a cast frame and larger magnet, maybe 20 -30 watts?

7. schmee

Alnico! Rola! Pops .... phone post

8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

The speaker above is definitely a stamped frame speaker.

9. schmee

Yeah I guess it is, first look it looked like one of those oddball cast Jensens

10. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

15 watts would be right for an organ speaker from a pair, and based on the voice coil size I'm guessing about the same.

BUT - at its age it's lost about 1/3 of its power handling - so 10 watts would the the maximum CLEAN signal I'd put through it.

If you use any distortion at all you need to increase the power handling to 2-3 times what amp puts out clean.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.