Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Need Help Identifying This Epiphone Guitar

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by caliban335, May 27, 2010.

1. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I'd posted this last fall and got a smattering of responses, but it got lost in the chasm of "Bad Dog Cafe". So, here we go again.

I’m not certain what I have here, but I like it a lot. I purchased this guitar on eBay recently, primarily due to the 1.75” nut width. After I took delivery I realized it was a semi-hollow with body dimensions exactly like those for a Gibson Country Gentleman or Epiphone Country Deluxe. Although it has obvious cosmetic deviations from those two guitars, the only major structural differences are the use of master tone and volume controls. The original bridge and tailpiece were replaced with the Bigsby and bar bridge.

It has an Epiphone label inside that reads “CHET ATKINS-EB” for the model with the serial number space left blank. There is a sticker on the rear of the headstock which reads “891079”. There are no markings on the tuners. The paint is sinking into the wood, particularly on the top where grain striations can be seen in the proper lighting. If anyone has any information on this guitar I’d be grateful to hear back from you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. alexpigment

alexpigment Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2008
    Austin TX

3. alexpigment

alexpigment Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2008
    Austin TX

4. ddhr

ddhr Tele-Holic

Mar 17, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    What a nice looking guitar! How does it sound?

Doug

5. caliban335

caliban335 Tele-Afflicted

May 4, 2007
    Cleveland, Ohio
    alexpigment, thanks! That's my guitar. I thought the top might be spruce. The grain looks like that on the top of my Seagull. It's nice to know what I have. Thanks again.

ddhr, the pickups are a garden variety PAF style; nothing special, but not bad. I'm thinking of replacing them with TV Classics

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.