Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Need help identifying a strange pu

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by TheRumRunner, Feb 23, 2013.

1. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Tele-Afflicted

I recently purchased a 1948 Gibson BR-9 Lapsteel. One of the reasons I purchased it was for the P-90 that came with it. Upon opening her up I found this pick-up. Does anyone recognize it? I'm thinking mid '60' into the '70's Japan.

There are no markings what's so ever. Tests out at 8k, has a real bite and growl which is perfect for what I wanted. But what is it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DW

2. TheRumRunner

Dang, looks like we are all stumped on this one.

DW

3. TheRumRunner

Hmm, maybe a Teisco with the cover off?

[​IMG]

DW

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. TheRumRunner

Yupp, I'm thinking I've answered my own Q.

[​IMG]

DW

6. TheRumRunner

Bingo - we have a winnah....

[​IMG]

DW

7. nic'o'caster

nic'o'caster Tele-Afflicted

Apr 10, 2004
    Middle Earth
    Yep, definitely looks like something made in the 60's !

8. Mightyaxeman

Mightyaxeman Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I have a br-9 with a tele pickup in it. The p90 disintegrated so I rigged up the tele pickup on a piece of pickguard material. It one of my favorite 6 string lap steels because it sounds so good.

9. TheRumRunner

Sort of like the pots in this old gal. And the wiring - I think the last person who worked on it used wooden matches instead of a soldering iron.

So I was checking ebay for a P90 and see that people actually sell old pots for big bucks. lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DW

10. Teleterr

Teleterr Tele-Afflicted

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    So I was checking ebay for a P90 and see that people actually sell old pots for big bucks. lol

[/QUOTE] Yeah, the changed Carbon 14 ratio really gives superior tone.

11. Southpaw Sam

Southpaw Sam Banned

Feb 18, 2013
    OKC
    I had a BR-9 from a pawn shop that had a partially shorted coil. Lindy Fralin rewound the Gibson P-90 pup that came standard with the BR-9, and it was a great lap steel again. After experiencing Jason Lollar's P-90's in my lefty Gibson Custom Shop 56' Les Paul Goldtop RI (or R6) I'm completely sold and have no need for any other P-90's.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.