Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Need Help~ Gretsch Armrest on Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by ickylick, Mar 13, 2018.

1. ickylick

ickylick Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2011
    New York
    I would like to add a Gretsch Penguin Armrest to my new Tele but I need some help & guidance.
    FE9252002233_HOME.jpg
    s-l300.jpg

I have no experience with metal work, but does anyone here know how to make the OEM Gretsch Penguin armrest fit my tele properly?
    Is there a simple solution to bending the metal to fit? Also, does anyone know how malleable the guard is?
    Should I use double sided 3M tape over drilling new holes? Does 3M tape leave marks on a poly body?
    Any & all help would be so very appreciated~

Here's a pic of my Tele for those who want to see what I'm working with and aren't tired of my posts (lol).
    IMG_0364.JPG

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018

2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    With all due respect, why do you want to put a BMW badge on a Mercedes? If anything, put a forearm bevel (like a Strat) on your Tele. If you just want bling, get a flashy pickguard. Please explain....I don't get it. :) It's a BEAUTIFUL guitar as it is!!!!

3. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

3A745248-2CC9-4B81-A9E3-1339F49BAEA2.jpeg Here’s one made of rosewood. Two-sided tape and can be removed with a hairdryer easily. I can’t see any need on a tele though. Pic added.duh

ickylick likes this.

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I 'get' it, but you'll find it hard to find something off the self AND with gold plating. I think it'd look best in gold anodized aluminum though, and no less than that, but that's just me. Good luck with it!

ickylick likes this.

5. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

I get it too and have done it. The trick is finding the radius of the body's curve the meets up with the arm rest. I just put in some thin rubber grommets between the body and plate and screwed the rest down into place.

Poly is very durable putting down double sided tape will work depending on how much you move your right arm when you play.

Using an arm rest for a banjo has a tighter radius and will give you more options were to place the arm rest.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    ickylick, SonsOfMoog and BorderRadio like this.

6. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Vancouver, BC
    ickylick and BorderRadio like this.

7. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

I've used this arm rest. Its Bacon Banjo arm rest and can be had for a low price on ebay and such. About 10-12 dollars U.S.

8. SonsOfMoog

SonsOfMoog Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2017
    US
    I've long considered an armrest on a tele. Please post the results, don't let any traditionalists deter you.

VintageGearMan, PelhamSG and ickylick like this.

9. nojazzhere

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    To all the armrest advocates....please explain the purpose or advantage to armrests. I find the "squared-off" Tele body edge already uncomfortable, it seems to me this would make it more so. I sanded a bevel on mine (sorta like the Jeff Beck Telecaster) and solved the comfort issue. Is the armrest more of an aesthetic thing?....or is there a functional purpose?

El Tele Lobo and hellopike like this.

10. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2012
    In the woods
    icky lick - I have no idea how to attach that armrest but just wanted to comment regarding your tele. Very, very cool. I've never seen that pick guard/body combo - very nice!! Hope you find your answer. :D

El Tele Lobo, x344 and ickylick like this.

11. ickylick

ickylick Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2011
    New York
    No offense taken and it's ok if you don't see what I'm envisioning, that's the beauty of "eye of the beholder" right? :twisted: I don't see it the way you do; putting a "BMW badge on a Mercedes".. it's more of an accent, like how a spoiler adds an extra aesthetic with a hint of purpose (down force of wind).

I've never had issues with discomfort when it comes to a tele, nor do I want the strat-like curve in the armrest area. I wouldn't say so much that it's just to "bling" my guitar, but rather that I have had nicks & wear in the armrest area (Poly is no match for my sweat, my gf has seen my sweaty arms/hands take off metal paint coatings off lawn chairs on a hot summer day lol:cry::lol:). Even though I love a naturally relic'd guitar, I am not a fan of cracks in poly (nitro is a different story). So it's purpose for me would be to prevent wear in the area + aesthetics + actual protection from damage. I've hit my guitars plenty of times in that area, and have taken chunks of poly which I am not proud of. If you're a traditionalist I get it too.. but I have other guitars that I leave 100% alone, this is just one of those teles I want to personalize is all~

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so it never bugs me. It's still insightful to hear what people think even though I know what I'm gonna do in the end. :D

nojazzhere and El Tele Lobo like this.

12. ickylick

ickylick Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2011
    New York
    I would love to find an anodized gold armrest over a regular gold plated one... but it's challenging enough to find armrests that don't need some labored modification (i.e. banjo armrest that require cutting).

13. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Because that's what makes us all different. Be a shame if we all only wanted to be identical to everyone else. :rolleyes:

stnmtthw, hemingway and ickylick like this.

14. dustoff

dustoff Tele-Meister

May 23, 2005
    Glenview Illinois
    An arm rest allows the guitar to vibrate more since your arm is not actually on the guitar

VintageGearMan, chauncy and ickylick like this.

15. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

For me, at time times, my right forearm would have a sensitivity reaction to the guitar's finish. It would break out in a rash or welt within minutes and fade over hours after I stopped playing. I figured out this reaction would happen if I was physically tired, not eating right and taking care of myself. The metal arm rest was a way to address this reaction problem since it was steel, easy to keep clean, and was a barrier between my arm and the guitar's finish.

Oh and appearance too. Chicks dig the arm rest! ;):rolleyes:

16. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    In this Land of Opportunity, anything can be had for the right amount of money :)
    As a side note-heads up, the anodizing or gold plating will wear off much faster than a poly finish.

Flakey and ickylick like this.

17. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2010
    Harrisburg, PA area
    Bending angles isn't easy... think about what we do to our bed frames without bending them :)

Did you buy it already? Could you rest it on the Tele and take some pics of how far off it is?

ickylick likes this.

18. nojazzhere

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    OK!...if it works with chicks, I'm IN!!!!!

El Tele Lobo and ickylick like this.

19. ickylick

ickylick Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2011
    New York
    I haven’t purchase an armrest yet, But the gretsch model was the only gold plated one I could find online.

Do you know anyone who would/can anodize it gold for me?.. or should I just start asking my local luthiers in NYC?

20. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I think those are stamped steel. You're not going to be able to bend it without pie cutting the perpendicular surface.

You could get a fab shop to maybe do one out of sheet, or just get a machine shop to cut one from solid.

Or, you could get a bigsby style wood armrest from tk smith himself, here:
    https://shop.tksmith.net/collections/tk-smiths-electronic-guitar-service

62780f46f1fca865b80328fc35268c28.jpg

Deeve, RomanS, jonnyfez and 2 others like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.