Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

[NEED HELP] Fender® Deluxe Cast/Sealed Locking Tuning Machines

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by matarroano, Sep 14, 2016.

1. matarroano

matarroano TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Portugal
    Hi!

Anyone willing to help me with some schematics/instructions regarding the installation of the Fender® Deluxe Cast/Sealed Locking Tuning Machines? Can't find anything at the Fender site or elsewhere...

I need to take one of the tuners off to drill a larger hole on it, for heavier gauge strings... Then, put it back. I'm a bit insecure about doing it without some proper guidelines, manuals and assistance... I'm extremely picky and I have to get this 100% right...

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016

2. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    I had a look at some pics. they look very straightforward to me. Just unscrew the bush off the front and pull them out - make sure the spanner is a good fit if you are picky. There is only a locator pin on the back, no screws, as far as I can tell.

sjruvolo likes this.

3. slinger

slinger Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2013
    wild west
    get someone with a drill press...auto mechanic etc.

4. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Dec 3, 2014
    Toowoomba, Australia
    Yes, I wouldn't attempt it by hand except with a reamer. - Visions of a broken bit in a power drill.

5. matarroano

matarroano TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Portugal
    Hey guys! Thanks for your help. It can't be that hard, I think. I'm getting more confident about it. It's the "taking it off, putting it back in" that I'm afraid...

As for the drilling, I'm pretty sure it will be ok. I just need to make sure the pin that holds the string inside the tuner is out of the way of the drill, right?

I'm studying to become a CNC Machinist and I have access to all kinds of "low-tolerance-mega-precision" tools and machinery. Plus, experts to help me. Great!

I'll keep you posted on this.

[UPDATE] So, I just did it, pulled it off, nice and carefully. The tuner is off the guitar waiting for some drilling, tomorrow. It was really easy. All it took was a 10mm wrench to the small nut. 1 minute. Easy and carefully and it was off! Just pulled it from the back. Left a big hole through the headstock and two small ones on the back of it. I guess these two are just to place the tuner, centered, in the right position. More updates tomorrow. Cheers!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016

6. matarroano

matarroano TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Portugal
    So, today I talked about doing this with some mechanics/machinists and metallurgists and we came to the conclusion that in order to do this properly, one must remove the pin that holds the string, and its spring. Completely free the hole where the drill bit is going to get through when enlarging it. From 0.054" to 0.065". It's crazy small the amount of material coming off.

This way it won't damage the pin that holds the string. I know it recoils when pushed but, there will always be damage and material taken off it in this operation. So, the pin has get out, for now.

Anyone experienced in disassembling on of these? Any videos, schematics or better yet an "exploded view" of it? Let me know.

I probably could just go "brute force" on it but, now that I have started to go the right way, I'll keep going in that direction. I have the means and the time so... I'll try to do it.

I'm going to take the tuner to an horologist aka "watch repair man", tomorrow, to try to have the thing disassembled and ready for some precision drilling...

7. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2004
    Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
    0.065"? So are you working on a Bass?

Lost_N_Austin

Or could you buy a new tuner for a Bass?

matarroano likes this.

8. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

Oct 28, 2009
    Galveston, TX
    When you drill out that hole your going to remove the plating on the metal making it more vulnerable to corrosion. That would bug me even though it's on the hole ID. Corrosion might affect locking pin movement.

9. matarroano

matarroano TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Portugal
    Nah Lost_N_Austin! I downtune to C, using D’Addario's EXL148 Nickel Wound, Extra-Heavy, 12-60. String gauges in this set are: .012, .016 .020 (Plain Steel), .034, .046, .060. (Nickel Wound).

So, I want a larger hole than the 0.060 for the low E string. I might use a 0.062 low E string for B standard tuning in the future, so... A 0.065 hole seems about right.

Yes. You probably figured out it is a "Metal Tele"!

Thanks for your reply!

Cheers.

10. matarroano

matarroano TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Portugal
    Yes, I know. You are right. Corrosion will be a factor. It won't be much of an issue, in a practical sense. But it will happen.

Bugged, hein? I was "devastated" when I found the hole was too narrow for my usual, preferred for years , set of strings. Corrosion and destroying the finish bothers me too. A lot. Too much.

I like to keep my guitars mint, pretty much stock and untouched, so... I feels like I'm kind of damaging it. It sucks. I'm so exaggerated about this, I'll get a new, the same genuine Fender tuner, to have around the house, just because... I just emailed Fender to find out its part number to order it, asap.

Damn, sometimes I hate to be like this! Makes my life harder. Most people would just pick an hand-held power tool and go for it! Not me... Too picky. It's complicated.

All the best!

11. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

Oct 28, 2009
    Galveston, TX
    Good luck with your mod! Hopefully corrosion will never be an issue for you.

12. matarroano

matarroano TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Portugal
    Thanks man! I'll keep you guys posted on developments. Cheers.

13. matarroano

matarroano TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Portugal
    Anyone knows the stock, original diameter of the hole, on the Fender® Deluxe Cast/Sealed Locking Tuning Machines?

Fender is taking too long to reply...

14. matarroano

matarroano TDPRI Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Portugal

15. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

Oct 28, 2009
    Galveston, TX
    Please let us know if you can easily get that locking pin out. I've been curious about that myself as I have Schaller locking tuners on two Strats.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.