Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Need help dissecting percussion of a song.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Obsessed, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I don't know if this is more for drummers, but since I'm a guitar player I would probably need the explanation from a knowledgeable guitarist. Anyway, I came across this YT vid and cannot figure out how the spoon lady is mixing in all of the different percussions into a fairly basic guitar song. She comes in at a certain point.

Any assistance would be very grateful. Perhaps even a primer on what the heck she is doing.

2. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin
    She's good at it and has the rhythm. what on earth do you want explained?

3. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Well, I sorta get how drummers set the rhythm, but this is way beyond that and I can't seem to separate it out. It is probably my feeble mind, plus music just does come easily to me. I was hoping for some hints or rules of thumb, or slap in the face or something else on that order to help me understand how she makes it fit.

I always call myself an idiot and this is most likely one of those times. My wife, the bass player is out of town, so I have no hope, but the people on this forum right now.

4. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin
    Best would be to try it out. go to the kitchen, get two table spoons and let them bounce over your open fingers ... and..er...
    ah, watch some YouTube videos :D

Obsessed likes this.

5. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    That was my next move, but hoping for some insight first. Thanks for the vid.

6. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin

She makes it fit by playing in time. Every click is some subdivision of the tempo. Why wouldn't it fit?

7. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2012
    Southern California
    That's some real live front porch stuff going' right there. Lot's of practice and a feel for tempo and syncopation.

Obsessed likes this.

8. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Well, see "fit" is what I want to understand. There seems to be a melody and bass line going on ... I think.

JeffBlue likes this.

9. Obsessed

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I'm getting the feeling that I just gotta do it to "get it".

JeffBlue likes this.

10. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2012
    Southern California
    Yep.....and the more you do it, your timing should improve. and you'll probably start to feel the groove and then you know you've got it.

Obsessed likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.