Need for more than one guitar!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by teleman1, May 22, 2019.

1. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

I have around 14 guitars and bases. I will be thinning my heard. But reading something in TGP got me thinking. I have three strats. Thought I'd dwindle them down to two_One is a 56ri, the other an EJ and then my Warmouth build,( which is Duncan mini hum in neck, gold foil and Antiquity bridge).They are all strats that sound radically different. The problem is strats. They are one of the few guitars I could justify having more than one. All three of mine, they are sisters, but in bed, they are pretty much radically different from each other. I guess it happens with Less Pauls, but the strat? And a strat "sound"? What is that? Buddy Holley, SRV, Jimi. you can recognize a strat, yet they all sound different. Don't get me stated on how they play?

How many Telels can you own? Les Pauls?Semi hollows?

2. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I own three Telecasters...

My main guitar (in my avatar pic), which has some interesting modifications, such as a P-90 pickup in the neck, a 4-way switch and a Fender No-Load Tone Pot...so it’s not a “standard” Telecaster.

The second Telecaster I own is a Modern Player Telecaster Thinline Deluxe...definitely not a “standard” Telecaster.

...and the third is a ‘72-reissue Telecaster Deluxe, again, not a “standard” Telecaster.

...and there’s a few more different models, including the aforementioned “standard” Tele, that is like to own, eventually...Telecaster Custom (a la Keef), ‘69 Thinline and ‘72 Thinline (a la Tab), a Cabronita...

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

How many? Fourteen total is not a bad number. Not too few, not too many, cover all the bases, check all the boxes.

At the moment I have ten, and of course I only need one more. But fourteen sounds just about right.

You probably need another Strat, there's your problem.

teleman1 and verb boten like this.
  4. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Tele-Meister

One Tele, my MIM.
    Two Strats, my '65 and 2004 MIM.
    Does my HH Jag count?

5. WildcatTele

WildcatTele Tele-Meister

"Need" is a very relative term. I have two Teles, one a '52 AVRI Hot Rod and one a Custom Shop Nashville, and I also have a Les Paul Traditional...all are wonderful instruments, each with its own unique sound and feel and I love playing them all, but the Hot Rod Tele is just "me." It's the only one I take to gigs and it's the one I reach for the most at home. Does it sound perfect for every tune the band plays? No...but because of my strong connection to it I play the best on it. I bought it brand new 8 years ago and each nick, scratch, customization, and every bit of wear on it is of my own doing and carries a lot of good memories.

I've had my fair share of "GAS" over the years lusting after all the pretty things but I've been doing this long enough and played enough guitars to know that I'll be a lot better off taking all that energy I could devote to finding the perfect piece of gear and directing it into the fingers and trying to find the perfect notes to play on whatever is under them.

545454 likes this.
  6. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

If the bills are paid and everyone you are responsible to has food and shoes, then own as many guitars as you have room for. There are no rules about it.

bgmacaw, boredguy6060, Alter and 10 others like this.
  7. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

and you have a 2003 badge on your TDPRI sig. You get to do anything you want!

kelnet likes this.
  8. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I've been thinking of getting a Gretsch G2622, but we have other things that need to be paid for before I buy another guitar. I'm trying to sell two guitars, though, so that I can get the Gretsch.

My wife, on the other hand, says that she really likes the Gretsch and I should just buy it. One of us has to be financially responsible, and it looks like it's me.

It is a nice guitar, though.

9. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Everybody should have an acoustic guitar. I only have one of those now.

Deathray likes this.
  10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I have a closet full of instruments from cheapo to high dollar. What do I play most of the time? My MIM Strat. It just plays great and sounds good. Do I need all of the others? Probably not, but they make me happy. They aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

JayFreddy likes this.
  11. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

I've had ( and needed to sell) many guitars and still lust for a few others...

But now in my 'old age' ( 60), I'm down to 5 or 6 guitars, gig a lot, and I'm happy with a great MIM Stratocaster, and a Martin.
    I can play 'anything I know how to play" with those two guitars.

Jim W likes this.
  12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

11 guitars, 1 bass.
    Only 1 guitar is fixin’ to split.
    Life’s good!

13. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Currently at 6 guitars.

I've been going the one guitar of each type route so far as I prefer to have options and haven't reached that place where I have enough options.

That being say, I do have two archtops. One is strung with flats and is a single humbucker guitar. The other is strung with rounds and has two humbuckers and a thinner body. Don't need both, but can't make myself sell one .. same reason as you.

Down the line I'd like a 2nd tele too

14. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

It's taken me 50 years to reach the point where I have four electrics. 3 Strats and a Tele. The acoustics were passed down to my son and grandson some years ago, I had no further use for them.

And there's a bass, a mandolin, a mandola and a ukulele banjo...

I think I have it covered.

IMadeYouReadThis likes this.
  15. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

One Tele home build
    One Les Paul copy, heavily modded
    One acoustic
    One bass

16. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

Only have one guitar currently. A partscaster I put together to visualize the perfect guitar for me. It's definitely worked the last several months to stave of the GAS. I really haven't wanted for another guitar since I put it together, which is a godsend considering I really got myself in trouble last year with buying gear. It really actually feels pretty freeing knowing that I get everything I want for my style of playing out of this one guitar.

I have gotten pretty quick at changing strings on the fly though considering I don't have a backup for gigs or rehearsal.

Anywho....as long as you spend responsibly, there shouldn't be a limit on how many guitars you should own.

17. regularslinky

regularslinky Tele-Holic

I used to buy guitars to chase certain features and sounds. At one point I had one of just about every flavor of Tele - a traditional Tele, a traditional Esquire, an Esquire with a P-90, a Tele with a P-90 in the neck, a Tele with a bridge humbucker, a Tele with a Bigsby, a Tele with wide range humbuckers, etc.

Between the Teles and a few others, I got up to 13 electrics, with parts for another 2 or 3.

One day I realized that 4 guitars got 99% of the playing time. The other 9 mostly just collected dust. It had nothing to do with the pickups or features - it was because I like bigger neck profiles, and I naturally reach for the 4 that have bigger necks. It's all about the neck.

I think it's a shame for a perfectly fine guitar to collect dust, even if it's mine, so I've started letting some go.

18. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Yup. Or necks, as it were. (I'm at nine and holding, or trying to.)

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    regularslinky likes this.
  19. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

I've got more than I'm going take the time to count . But, they all get played, and they are all taken good care of.
    I've been playing since 1958, so guitars tend to accumulate.
    Mine are primarily American made, but having played several outstanding foreign instruments, Epiphone and Gretsch, I had to add those to my collection.

20. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I set a limit of three guitars at any one time. If I want another one, I need to sell one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.