Need another amp... different than my other one

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by David Meiland, Apr 13, 2019.

1. mojmud

mojmud TDPRI Member

2. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

I was going to say something similar- pick up a Tech 21 Liverpool and the Marshall-in-a-box of your choice (I've been digging the Wampler Pinnacle lately and the Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret is a perennial favorite) and you can get a very wide array of new tones out of your Deluxe at living room volume.

3. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Just picked up a Marshall DSL40CR to retire my 70’s JMP and old 80’s Mesa from gigging duties. Compact, 1x12 and not too heavy.

What a thoroughly great players amp! Very versatile and well thought out with 4 modes/channels, great master volumes (switchable to act as a solo boost) reverb and half power option.

Sounds killer at all volumes with a US Tele Professional I was using today. You could easily live on the crunch channel and just ride the volume control for cleans.

It nails all the bright JMP tones but with more thump at low volume with the resonance control.

I cannot express what great value it is as the alternative to a Fender.

4. Humble Pie

Humble Pie TDPRI Member

1st off do a little self analysis. you have some idea already, you are wanting something different,
    so what are your preferences musically/ tonally, that your not able to get with the present rig!

then endeavor to see what equipment your persons of inspiration used! this will tell you volumes about what you are looking for and to try out!

5. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Every guitar player owes it to him/herself to have a tweed Deluxe.
    5E3 circuit seems to be the gold standard (and most cloned), but there are other tasty flavors.
    I have a 5A3 (or is it a B?), and a 5E3.
    VERY different amps.
    The 5A3 is a very cool home amp, but not loud enough for a gig (unless mic'ed) with even the most civilized drummer.

Mike Simpson likes this.
  6. stratoman1

stratoman1 Tele-Afflicted

Blackstar HT20 MKII

Hughes and Kettner 18 watt

7. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Marshall Bluesbreaker

8. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

I carefully selected my three amps: Princeton Reverb (Vintage Sound Amps) 5e3 Tweed Deluxe (Lil Dawg), Vox AC4HW1. They are each quite different, and they cover a lot of ground.

I think both a Vox or a low power Tweed would be great compliments to your DR.

9. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

I just dont get the "bedroom" thing really. Even a Champ is too loud for bedroom playing unless all you want is for the amp to make some sound. If that's the case then the DR is fine, turn the guitar volume down. So I can't really comment on what to use.
    If however, you just want a different sounding amp, then I would consider one with EL84 tubes as they have a much different tone than typical BF/SF Fender style amps. Like:
    Peavey Classic 30
    Fender Blues Jr
    Fender Pro Junior
    Dr Z Carmen Ghia
    Peavey Delta Blues
    Laney
    etc

10. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I used to run a late '60's DR with a late '90's AC-15 using a Roland Space Echo for the split. That was a great sounding rig. The two amps complimented each other so well. Sadly, I sold the DR.

A Tweed Deluxe would be a good contrasting amp as would a low power Marshall (18 watt or maybe an Origin 20) with a 1 x 12" cab.

11. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Marshall, I need both Fender and Marshall amps for my musical influences.

12. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Meister

You're gonna need more than one more no matter what you buy. Good luck with your new addiction .........

:)

Buy something powered by el84s, peavey or a marshall. Then wonder what the big bottles sound like, buy a Marshall origin 20(el34s). Then wonder what the other el84 hypes all about, and buy an AC15. Then wonder why people still play tweed fenders over those and buy a bassman 59 RI. Then wonder why fender people always talk up PRRIs and buy one of those. Then realize you think youd like to try a Supro that sounds different than supros, and buy a BK12. .

Then realize you're out of room and need a bigger house....

13. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

I think you've just described my living room--and the back room behind it. My late wife supported my habit, but if she were still alive she'd make me put some of my toys away.

14. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Meister

I hope you have enough outlets in your home. Your wife sounds like she was the right kind of enabler, sorry for your loss.

I'm trying to get my wife to understand why I "need" a guitar and amp in every room, not just each floor/level....

PastorJay likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.