Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Need advise on Strat purchase

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by tamorgan, Dec 24, 2010.

1. tamorgan

tamorgan TDPRI Member

I am thinking about purchasing a "parts" strat but am confused about the neck (see the pictures I have uploaded). Here is what the guy is telling me "it's a USA Fender Strat with Classic 60's neck, Custom Shop "54 Strat" pups". He also said that the neck does not have a serial number but that it is a Fender neck. It also appears from looking at the pictures that the neck finish has some "checkering" on the head stock which leads me to believe that it may have some age to it. He said that the body is a U.S.A. body because it is stamped as such in the neck pocket and the body has been reliced. Here are my questions:
    1-why would the neck not have a serial number?
    2-Is this an good investment at $480 since my plans are to paint the body sea foam green? I have always wanted a sea foam but have never found one I could afford.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. ruguitar

ruguitar NEW MEMBER!

looks to me that is a 50's reissue mim neck i have the exact same neck. did u look on the neck itself were the bolts are after removed you will prob. see a magic marker lettering or initials.he prob. just removed the part
    were it says made in mexico but even so they are well made. i paid 380 for a dark sunburst 50 reissue and is mint so look around a bit before you pounce. But thats my opinion.

3. teletwanger48

teletwanger48 TDPRI Member

If it is truly a USA body with custom shop pickups, it hardly matters where the neck is made. I would think it would part out for way more than $480.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

To me, the body looks like a MIM Road Worn.

6. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Tele-Holic

Not a 50's neck. There is no skunk stripe.

7. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Tele-Holic

Also, if you bought it look under the pickguard. Do you see the letters RW?
    If not it may be some FSR.

EDIT: didn't realize this was a 3 year old thread with no responses.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  8. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Sounds a little pricey to me if you're gonna refinish it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.