Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Need advice on spraying headstock

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Mystic6, Jan 2, 2009.

  1. Mystic6

    Mystic6 TDPRI Member

    59
    Dec 16, 2008
    Plainfield, IL
    I'm working on my first build, and ran into a problem tonight. I could use some advice. I'm have a StewMac neck, and am applying a waterslide decal to the head. I had sprayed several coats of lacquer and was just about satisfied, until I noticed that I was using gloss and the neck is finished in satin. While I was debating whether I was going to care or not, I pulled my masking tape. That's when the real problem surfaced. I wasn't careful where I taped off below the nut, and the lacquer lifted. In a way it made my decision easier, I'm now forced to start over. I scraped and sanded back to bare wood. So now the face is bare, the edges and back are ok. How should I mask this when I spray? Mask off the edges and everything from the nut forward? How can I keep the masked edge from lifting next time?

    Edit to add: I just noticed on the StewMac website that the neck is finished in satin polyurethane! Should I stay with poly then instead of lacquer?
     

  2. Buckocaster51

    Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

    Age:
    66
    Jan 6, 2005
    Iowa USA
    Admin Post
    that's what I would do.

    use low-tack tape and take it off as soon as you can

    if the lacquer pulled off with the tape, there was probably some sort of issue with your surface prep
     

  3. Mystic6

    Mystic6 TDPRI Member

    59
    Dec 16, 2008
    Plainfield, IL
    I guess I shouldn't say that it came up with the tape, but the first 1/8" from the tape line was lifted. I concur that the prep probably wasn't right. I don't think I had sanded that high, or at least not good enough. The first 3/4" or so came up easy, the rest (where I had sanded more) was stuck good and had to be scraped.
     

  4. scubadoo

    scubadoo Tele-Afflicted

    Apr 1, 2008
    Bristol, UK
    I bought the same neck and applied a decal, and coated with nitro.

    nitro on poly is fine.
     

  5. KennyH

    KennyH Tele-Meister

    234
    Nov 21, 2008
    Mid Calder, Scotland
    You could try applying thinner coats and removing and remasking between coats. Also I wipe mine down with a tac cloth before masking, it seems to help stop any seepage under the tape.
     

  6. Mystic6

    Mystic6 TDPRI Member

    59
    Dec 16, 2008
    Plainfield, IL
    Several days, and several hours of work, later I finally finished. After stripping it down, I decided to try spraying with satin polyurethane. I really liked working with the poly, and the more tolerable fumes, but ran into a huge problem. My decals (sprayed with poly) would curl under when I tried to apply them. I tried 7 or 8 before I gave up. The small serial number decal on the back was ok, but the larger one on the front gave me nightmares. So I applied one of my lacquer-coated decals. Two coats of poly later and the entire decal hazed over. I tried lightly sanding with 800 grit, but destroyed it. So I started over completely - I scraped and sanded back down to bare wood all the way up to the nut, and started over with satin lacquer. Several coats later and I'm done. So the back of the headstock is satin poly, and the face is satin lacquer. Hopefully down the road I won't have any issues with it!

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.