Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Need Advice on Routing This Body for Binding

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Bones, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    I stripped my 50s Baja down today and ended up with this.

It's a beautiful 2-piece body.

I would like to route it for binding and then finish it in clear for my next Albert Collins tribute tele.

My question is, is this edge sharp enough or will the slight round over cause problems? I never routed a for binding before so I have no idea.

20171227_140829_001_resized.jpg 20171227_131347_resized.jpg 20171227_131357_resized.jpg

2. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Bones likes this.

3. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    If you want to be sure and eliminate the round-over, you could use StewMac's .090 thickness binding-- It looks like the channel for it would eliminate all the round over on the edges of that body.

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_an...im/Plastic_Binding/Black_Plastic_Binding.html
    And while I like to be as economical as the next guy, and I have done binding with generic rabbeting bits with aluminum tape around the bearing to size it, I have to say that getting the binding channel exactly the right size saves so much time and so many head aches, I have concluded that the Stew-Mac binding router bit and bearing combo, sized exactly for their bindings, is the way to go:

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tool...rs_and_Bits/Bits/Binding_Router_Bearings.html
    http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Types_of_Tools/Routers_and_Bits/Bits/Binding_Router_Bit.html

Buy once, cry once, but you can start with the bit and one perfectly-sized bearing, and expand your bearing assortment as needed, IF needed, in the future.

And one way to go wide, even wider than the .090, and still have it look good, is to use multi-layer contrasting color binding. This isn't especially wide binding, but illustrates what I mean, cream-black-cream.

IMG_2862.JPG

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    2blue2 likes this.

4. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    I ordered the Stew Mac bit and .060 and .090 binding. going to try the 60 first if it doesn't work, will go to the 90.

5. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Good plan, I think. And like I said above, I think you can widen it even more, if you need to, using contrasting strips, and it'll still look good.

6. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    can't use contrasting strips, going for the Albert Collins vibe.

7. Honza992

Honza992 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Aug 6, 2015
    Nottingham, UK
    This looks great, is there a build thread?

8. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic

Jun 17, 2008
    omaha
    The ALbert Collins vibe is all in the hands.

9. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    I'm talking about the guitar, not the playing.

This was my first effort, with a much lower quality body.

20171002_144414.jpg

oheare and fenderchamp like this.

10. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    I like the double bound look myself, especially ivory and black together, but I think that if you ledge it for the binding you have and make it just a tad narrower height any curvature left on the top of the body can easily be blended into the edge of the bind with a few rubs of 320 or a scraper, and it will look sexier as well.

DC

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.