Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

need advice on pedals- newbie

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Ragin Cajun, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Tele-Meister

Dec 2, 2014
    New Iberia, LA
    yes. Delay for sure. overdrive,. and possibly a compressor.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

2. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

May 5, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Delay, fer sure.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

3. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    If you're going for that country clean I'm thinking of, you're looking for a delay (set very short) and a compressor (or the right overdrive for your playing and rig, set with the gain way down).

4. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    If I were asked to recommend a pedal to somebody who doesn't generally use any, and plays mostly clean, the first one I would suggest would be an EQ pedal with a volume slider on it.

Obsessed and dlew919 like this.

5. Rbriggs82

Rbriggs82 TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2016
    Summerville, SC
    I'd go with a delay and compressor. Just got my first compressor pedal recently (joyo) and can't believe I didn't get one sooner.

Tele56 and RetroTeleRod like this.

6. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's

One word; TC.

I have a pedal addiction and own way more than I can justify. But if I was to start over from scratch I would simply put a TC board together. Amazing pedals for a great price. You'll get a lot of mileage for your money that way.

As far as what pedals; dirt pedals are always a good place to start. I would go for the MojoMojo. Great dirt box and significantly better than the Dark Matter. Then reverb, the Hall of Fame is killer. Then delay, the flashback.

If you want Chorus, personally I prefer the MXR m234 to the TC. It is a stellar chorus pedal and reasonably priced.

Those are the bread and butter pedals. Flange and Univibe and of course wah are all cool too.

7. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    Well, it may not be an ''essential'' pedal, but a Joyo American is an inexpensive way to get close to Tweed Deluxe sound. And it does other things, too.

8. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Yep joyo American Sound and you should have enough left get a mooer ReEcho to add a nice slapback or longer delay that's needed for that studio California country rock sound.

9. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Tele-Meister

Dec 2, 2014
    New Iberia, LA
    Thanks for ll the help, guys

10. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    A looper, a tuner, maybe a delay like a cheap and simple Danelectro Fab. Note how the first two are not shapers?

Overall less signal modification and more shaping tone with technique is better!

11. drlizardo

drlizardo Tele-Meister

Apr 4, 2013
    Central Illinois
    Check out Guitar Centers' used selection too. I've found great deals there.

ladave likes this.

12. Guitaryellow

Guitaryellow Tele-Meister

Dec 22, 2017
    Kent
    All good, the TC stuff does cut it live and has downloadable settings, i onky have and have nothing to do with them, however if i'd got one when i started id have been over the moon.

13. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2008
    Northern Va.
    If you're playing Country, you really could use a compressor. MHO, I'd go with your DS-1(you can turn the gain way down and get into a light dirt close enough to pass for OD, a compressor, and a delay for some slapback.

Staypuft1652 likes this.

14. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2012
    Land of the Merlion
    Sounds like you need an overdrive and a bit of modulation. I suggest,

Ibanez TS-9/ BOSS OD-3 or a used Boss Reverb or Delay

15. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Holic

Apr 25, 2011
    Turdcaster, WA
    for a old tweed deluxe sound...a rather odd and off-label use, a Lone Wolf Harp Attack works really well.

DaveKS likes this.

16. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2008
    South Lousiana
    Tube screamer mini? Phase 95 mini?

17. beninma

beninma Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Two alternative suggestions, not necessarily feasible at the price level anyway.

This depends on your skill level and goals as well as the amp and other equipment that you have already.

I would argue the two most indispensible pedals I have at this point are:

- Beat Buddy Mini
    - EHX Hum Debugger

I'm not familiar with your amp. There are plenty of amps though that have tons of gain options at different volume levels which can make OD pedals quite optional. But playing with a Tele with standard single coils you're going to have tons of noise too. Enter the Hum Debugger. I love it and my experience is 99% of amps benefit from it depending on the environment.

I mention the Beat Buddy cause it's just an incredibly gratifying practice tool that has nothing to do with chasing tone. I absolutely LOVE using it and I can tell over time it's going to make me a better player.

Neither of these can be bought under $100 new, maybe they can be used. For the Beat Buddy you can currently get a Digitech Trio as a substitute and those can be found under $100 currently since Digitech has newer options. I'm not sure I'd like the Trio as much as the Beat Buddy at my current level but it's out there for less than $100.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.