Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

need advice on pedals- newbie

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Ragin Cajun, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Tele-Meister

Dec 2, 2014
    New Iberia, LA
    I got a a gift card from GC from my son. I'm guessing it's way south of $100. I'm thinking that I want to invest in some pedals. Although I've been playing for a bunch of years, I never really got into pedals. What, in your opinions are some essential pedals, bearing in mind a limited budget. I already have Boss DS1.

Thanks in advance

2. ladave

ladave Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Delay.

Overdrive/distortion and delay are the only 2 pedals I feel I "need".

What amp?

thegeezer and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  3. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Tele-Meister

Dec 2, 2014
    New Iberia, LA
    Fender 9 Watt Rampart Tube Amp

4. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
  5. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

Jul 22, 2017
    Switzerland
    It depends on what kind of sounds you're looking for...

If I had to rewrite your question it'd be:

"I've got pasta. What sauce should I choose?"

I'd answer:

"It depends on what kind of taste you're looking for"

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Tele-Meister

Dec 2, 2014
    New Iberia, LA
    Daphne,
    I don't quite know. Sort of a 57 Tweed Deluxe sound.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  7. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    Think about what you might want to do. If you want a fender tweed sound either get some kind of compressor or an overdrive - a Blues driver would do it. If you’re very lucky you might be able to pick up a boss fender tweed pedal. But you’d have to chip in on the card.

Wobbles likes this.
  8. Guitaryellow

Guitaryellow Tele-Meister

Dec 22, 2017
    Kent
    Delay or Reverb, TC electronics very good if you want different modes.

4pickupguy likes this.
  9. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

$30 each online (not sure if available through GC though)

I do this but have a pair of DS-1s at different settings, first near zero gain and it works like the TS.
    I bought the pair I have for $15 and $25 used. You could get a second used one through GC, not sure how much.

Or get a small multi effect pedal, used these can be $25-$50, maybe through GC too. Example models here (and likely discontinued/replaced with newer models) but they are very similar in features and function independent of brand (probably one company makes them for everyone else). Running them into a bigger amp gets better results out of them. These will have all the types of pedals so you can try out what they do and if you want get a more upscale pedal that does that one thing really well. One guy gets a couple of these and treats them like single sound pedals after setting them up.

Staypuft1652 likes this.
  10. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I don't use effects pedals very often, and I MEAN not often, but I have an Arion SCH-1 chorus, Ibanez delay, Ibanez TS-5, LPB-1 clean boost, a Vox wah, and a Micro Chorus, (yeah, a second chorus but it's VERY subtle) with a regulated power supply and power strip all mounted to a custom made (meaning "home made") painted plywood board. I frequently go several sets without stepping on one. I use a guitar mounted tuner, so I don't even use a pedal tuner anymore....FWIW......
    Although, I do have a Mosaic 12-string emulator on the way....I may use that regularly.

11. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Chorus. Tremolo. Gotta have those. I don't think dan elctro pedals are bad for not much money.

12. luckett

luckett Friend of Leo's

Jun 14, 2011
    red llama

13. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Holic

Dec 12, 2016
    Northern VA
    What type of music do you play? What artists do you want to sound like? Hendrix? Bonamassa? Paisley?

14. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Tele-Meister

Dec 2, 2014
    New Iberia, LA
    Country and country rock- Eagles, Vince Gill, Linda Ronstadt. Have been listening to a lot of Emmylou with Albert Lee playing lead in The Hot Band from the 70's. I'm Kind of going for a "stinging" clean sound, if that makes any sense.

15. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Holic

Jun 22, 2017
    NJ
    Please let us know how the Moasic sounds with a band. Sounds very cool on Youtube demos.

16. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    Either a bd2 by boss or perhaps a soul food. Some can get that of a tubescreamer. I can't. But that's probably my shortcoming

17. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Tele-Meister

Dec 2, 2014
    New Iberia, LA
    I'll probably take an afternoon next week and go to GC try some pedals to see what's what. I'm, really a novice when it comes to pedals.

DaphneBlue likes this.
  18. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
  19. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    Delay...and a compressor

Royal Tele, Tele56 and thegeezer like this.
  20. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Delay. Always cool to have one of those to give the guitar that "professional" sound, whatever that is.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.