Need advice on new 2017 Squier Standard Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by 2fingers, Aug 21, 2017.

1. 2fingers

2fingers TDPRI Member

After the third attempted purchase of a workable metallic orange FSR Affinity Tele HH, I opted to spend a little more and get the new Candy Apple Red Standard Strat (apologies for not announcing the NGD - I wanted a little time with it before I claimed it as my own). I LOVE this guitar! The Alnico pickups sound nice to my ears! Everything was well done except for a badly cut pickguard which I fixed. The neck pocket was immaculate, for those who want to know - and it is indeed routed for HSH configuration should I choose to do so!

So... The trem block is poopoo in her as expected. Is there a bolt-on upgrade that is close to 60s-era "dirty" blocks? I also would like to replace the bridge plate if possible, though it's not do-or-die.

What I'd like to know is, which parts should I be looking at? MiM standards? American Standards? My bridge has the narrower string spacing, but I'm not certain which conventional models share the same trem post width... (I read somewhere last night that it's actually the same bridge used on Jackson guitars and not upgradeable, but I can't be certain).

Although the nut is fine (for now) does anyone know if my Indo Standard Strat has a curved nut - or is the base of it flat like typical Squier replacement necks? I want to swap for a pre-slotted Tusq XL (which would match the saddles I have in mind).

2. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Cool... you'll have to post some photos.

If the body is the full thickness of a Fender Strat and it has the 6 screw tremolo, you'll probably find what your looking for at Guitar Fetish or Callham.

You can check with the sites before you order but I'd bet the one your looking for is the import block on this page: http://guitarfetish.com/Upgrade-Steel-and-Brass-Tremolo-Blocks_c_219.html

Here's some infor from the Calham site: https://www.callahamguitars.com/tech_compatibility_strat.htm

Also, I think the bridge plate on a factory Fender or Squier should be ok. I did the full upgrade on my MIM Strat but I did look at the OEM bridge plate and it was fine. If I were to do it again, I would only swap the block and maybe the saddles if necessary. In my case I upgraded to Fender bent steel saddles but that was because the ones that came in the full kit were a bit rough and the ones that came stock on my 94 MIM Strat were those block alloy ones and I suspect the bent steel ones are just better.

Good luck with your new Strat!

3-Chord-Genius and 2fingers like this.
  3. 2fingers

2fingers TDPRI Member

Actually, mine has a 2-point floating trem. I think from my reading I see that the diff between bridge plates/trem blocks on those are determined by location of the hole for the whammy bar in relation to the lateral centerline of the bridge plate? One person online in a forum said something about the Indo Standards having a Jackson-style bridge plate and that ONLY the blocks for that bridge assembly will work. I have no clue. I promise to post some pics tomorrow! It's been a long week and I've been offline and working on my father's house thanks to Hurricane Harvey :p Thanks for the reply, Awasson!

4. 2fingers

2fingers TDPRI Member

"I think from my reading I see that the diff between bridge plates/trem blocks on those are determined by location of the hole for the whammy bar in relation to the lateral centerline of the bridge plate?"

I forgot to say mine has a narrow string spacing at the bridge too (2-1/16 inch?) and I'm uncertain as to whether the 2 posts are a different width apart than earlier Squier Standard Strats...

5. 2fingers

2fingers TDPRI Member

Sorry about the delay. I've been extremely busy with cleanup after Harvey :p DSC_0078.JPG DSC_0079.JPG

Felino likes this.
  6. 2fingers

2fingers TDPRI Member

7. seekir

seekir Tele-Holic

I have an '05 Indonesian Standard with a rosewood neck that was a "Black + Chrome" which I bought for peanuts. I like the maple necks like yours and was sorely tempted to get one of the new ones. My '05 needed a new pickguard and buffing. I don't have an obvious problem with the trem, mine's stock. I like the hex-head posts better than the slot-heads on "real" Fenders, no problems with the allen wrench slipping out. The trem posts apparently break through the thin wood at the post bases under the bridge on these, I don't really do any heavy bend-down action with the trem, but I suspect muscular dives might be a mistake with the Standards. I think the thicker 6mm whammy bar on these is stiffer than the 5mm on Fenders and maybe part of the problem? I'd measure the post spacing for you, but I have it in the attic hiding spot at the moment.

The plastic nut on mine was really bad and had an odd response to the files when I attempted to deepen the slots. The plastic seemed kind of fibrous, and sort of fuzzy strands would appear when I was cutting it. I made a new nut from scrap white Corian counter-top material I got free from a cabinet shop. The nut slot is flat-bottomed. The clear neck finish on mine was much too thin IMO, it was discolored where hand stuff and dirt had penetrated into the maple. I sanded the back of the neck leaving the serial number/"made in Indonesia" print and sprayed a new clear coat on the back.

Blackguard2.jpg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    Felino likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.