Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Need a pedal for the Twin Reverb sound!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by sjturbo, Sep 7, 2017.

1. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    I've owned twins and a couple of musicmans-that loud clear thing should be there. The subtle difference between a clean twin and your musicman should not be much. The difference becomes clear when overdriven as musicmans are lacking there but clean you should just play what you got.....or buy a twin- they are pretty cheap now a days

Ed Boyd likes this.

2. sjturbo

sjturbo Tele-Meister

Dec 3, 2008
    Tucson, Az
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions and opinions! I'm working on my hands and technique and I think that if I turn my MMRD50 up enough and tweak the bass and treble just right I can get close enough without spending a dime! Regarding the overdrive I have enough pedals to cop the tones I like. The MMRD50 takes pedals great!

3. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX

4. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

Other than adding another 12" speaker, I think your MM in some ways probably sounds more like a Twin than a Twin! I.e., it is further evolution of the crystal clear tone Leo was striving for.

Charlie Bernstein likes this.

5. jklotz

jklotz Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    I picked up a OneControl Sonic Blue Twanger pedal a while ago. It does a great job of making my tweed amps sound like a blackface amp. I really like it, and use it as an "always on" pedal when using certain amps. I like it a lot. Not sure if it will get you where you want to go, but it's worth looking into. It's not terrible expensive either.

6. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    I'm with Chris M.

I had a silverface Twin a long time ago. Very clean. That bowel-loosening tone that comes from four 6L6s and pair of big cermanic twelves probably can't be captured without four 6L6s and a pair of big ceramic twelves.

As for the trem and reverb, that's not a sound I'd chase. They didn't sound good. The trem was noisy (tss-tss-tss-tss-tss . . . .) and the 'verb was metalic, like new fillings.

Back then, onboard effects were popular because of the convenience, not the sound quality. Reverb tanks and DeArmond trems were expensive, unlike decent pedals today.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.