Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Need a pedal for the Twin Reverb sound!

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by sjturbo, Sep 7, 2017.

1. sjturbo

sjturbo Tele-Meister

Dec 3, 2008
    Tucson, Az
    (Sorry I needed to edit this thread because I was not clear). I am actually looking for a pedal that sound like a Twin Reverb. Any suggestions? Playing through a MMRD50. Can the Fender Deluxe Reverb pedal actually sound like a Twin?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017

2. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Boss makes a Fender Deluxe Reverb pedal that works great for the entire tone of the amp. Not sure if it has trem.

A Strymon Flint would give you any type of fender trem you would want.

3. bakersfield2014

bakersfield2014 Tele-Meister

Nov 1, 2014
    Helena Montana

4. tatittle

tatittle Tele-Meister

Jun 27, 2010
    North NJ
    If you mean pedal to get you the CLEAN tone of a twin I don't know if that is really possible; other than a basic EQ pedal set-up properly. I think Twins BFace have lots of highs and lows and less mids EQ wise. Much easier to start with a basic clean tone from the amp and add pedals for dirtier/effects etc.

An American voiced speaker would also help but you couldn't turn it off with your foot (unless you used a cab switcher) I see you have a MusicMan so you are close already...what speaker is in it? Speaker swaps make a huge difference.

5. Tootone

Tootone Tele-Meister

Sep 4, 2015
    Perth WA
    If you could find such a pedal, wouldn't it just ultimately sound like the MMRD50?

Edit: it just occurred to me you might be looking for a "reverb pedal" that sounds like a Twin's reverb?

MMRD50... already has a good clean tone? I am confused.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017

6. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Holic

Apr 25, 2011
    Turdcaster, WA
    Award/Morley JD 10 (or 20) Session Master ... and then a reverb pedal...which I use a tech21 rvb...presuming you are wanting clean

but idk anything about your amp

7. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    I have have the Boss Fender Deluxe FDR-1 pedal and love it. It has Reverb and Vibrato. Does it nail the Fender Twin Reverb sound? I don't know, never had them both in the same room to try, but it's a very good sounding pedal, one of my favorites, I use it all the time. Good luck finding one. They discontinued them years ago

20170906_133947.jpg

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017

8. jklotz

jklotz Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Sonic Blue Twanger

9. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    This guy just posted a question about his Shift Line Twin MKII, which from the looks of it is supposed to sound like a Twin and act like a DI. Has a cab simulator you can switch on or off. No reverb, but has an effects loop:

10. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Keep torturing me with that FRV-1, why don't you?

11. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Meister

May 2, 2017
    Tulsa, OK
    The AMT Electronics F1 is supposed to emulate the Twin, but I don't have any experience with it.

With the right settings, a Joyo American Sound can blackface another amp to a degree.

Of course your amp will have the final say on your tone, regardless of what you run into it.

12. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland

13. sjturbo

sjturbo Tele-Meister

Dec 3, 2008
    Tucson, Az
    Thanks for the replies! The MM has an original EVM12L. I'll look into the Fender pedal as well as the AMT and Shift Line. I would likely need to set the MM side by with the Twin to tweak the tone. The MM does not have a Mid control but that may not factor in so much.

14. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    I can send you high def photos of the box and paperwork if you want :)

15. Ed Boyd

Ed Boyd Tele-Afflicted

Mar 25, 2009
    Illinois
    No. The sound is the high headroom amp, preamp, open back twin 12s, verb, ect...

Electrode makes a preamp that emulates a blackface twin. It's expensive but its a small company and quality parts needed for tube electronics like transformers are expensive. Still won't sound like a Twin.

16. JayDee

JayDee Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2009
    Missouri
    A Tech 21 Blonde ( I'd get the 2nd version) or a Wampler Black '65 should help get you in the ballpark. You'll have to search for a used Wampler because that one is out of production.

JustABluesGuy likes this.

17. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    What do you want from the pedal? IMO, A twin reverb has...
    -Loud cleans
    -Tremolo
    -Reverb

They're not really known for their overdriven tone, so I dont see much use in getting a 'dirt' pedal going for a twin tone.
    Twins have a large mid 'scoop', along with most blackface fenders. This is part of the sound. An EQ pedal might help you here. You can also increase 'treble' and 'bass' at the tonestack of the amp to create a larger mid 'scoop'

Iago likes this.

18. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Tele-Afflicted

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I'm still unclear what you are looking for, but if you are looking for an "amp in box" type foundation pedal that will make your amp sound like a twin, you will probably want to look at the the Tech 21 Blonde or it's inexpensive clone, the Joyo American Sound.

19. NiceTele

NiceTele Tele-Holic

Dec 20, 2012
    Australia
    Very hard to simulate a Twin Reverb- two 12" speakers with a big clear tone. I have a Zoom MG-50 multi FX stomp that does a Twin Reverb amp sim, and I sometimes go direct into a mixer with no amp and it sounds pretty good, but nothing replicates the tone you get plugging your guitar into a Twin Reverb and playing.

20. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    I used to own an early 1970's Fender Twin, and foolishly sold it when I joined the Army in late 1977.

The fellow I sold it to owned it for many years, but later blew it up somehow, during his most out-of-control substance abuse days, (so he reports) and it went off to the scrap-heap.

I have learned a lot over the years, regarding both the longing for that old amp, the regret, and everything I have come to know from the dozens of guitars and dozens of amps I have owned ever since I let that Twin go.

The reality is that most of the tone that you seek is in the hands of the player.
    If all the videos that have been posted to date (in this thread alone, ostensibly enticing you to buy this or that really nice effects pedal) have taught us anything, it's that the tone you seek is in the hands of the player.

Joe Walsh recorded Funk 49 on a Fender Telecaster, thru a Fender Champ amplifier featuring an 8-inch speaker.

Billy Gibbons could pick up a Walmart guitar made by First Act, plug it into a cheap, used, solid-state (non-tube) amp, and he would still sound like Billy Gibbons.

My advice is to get out there and explore everything that you can get your hands on.
    Play it all, and play thru it all.

But first and foremost?
    Work on your guitar playing.

Work on your chops and your feel.

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now.
    :(

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.