Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Need a guitar for shredding. Which one?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by cntry666, Jun 22, 2017.

1. chris m.

chris m. Friend of Leo's

Unless you're really going to use a Floyd I would recommend getting a guitar without the locking nut or complicated bridge. Locking tuners, well cut nut, Nut Sauce (or pencil graphite), and a well set up trem and you are good to go. Or even go with a fixed bridge. Less weight, easier to put strings on and off, less hassle, cheaper, looks better, feels better. YMMV of course. Some brands that make great guitars with "shredder necks" at a moderate price-- ESP LTD, Schecter, Yamaha, Ibanez.

I also don't believe you need a shredder neck to shred. Look at Brent Mason and Jeff Beck, for example. Low action, lighter gauge strings, and a modern radius 9.5" or better yet compound radius and your guitar should have no trouble keeping up with any shredder guitar.

Check out this ESP Ltd George Lynch Strat-- 13.7" radius neck, $499 out the door, brand new...

ESP LTD George Lynch Signature GL-256 - Distressed 2-tone Burst
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GL256

Also-- ESP LTD Vipers are cool versions of an SG--$399 out the door--

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VIPER256STBC

2. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    I'd suggest getting a neck and retrofitting it to one of your other guitars.
    You'll need to square off the heel to fit a Tele or minor adjustments to fit a regular Strat.
    Modify the neck not the body and you can easily go back to the stock guitar.

3. JD0x0

JD0x0 Friend of Leo's

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    I shred Shawn Lane on a thick neck 22 fret tele strung w/ 11-50's. Use what's most comfortable to you. Maybe one of your 12 axes just needs a bit of a setup to get into shred city.

4. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

Dec 18, 2011
    Atlanta
    I like the shred guitars for playing fast, but the tone always makes me want my Tele or Les Paul. Shred guitar? Try a 90's Les Paul Classic. Very thin neck with ceramic magnet humbuckers. Shred that through a Marshall! No whammy, though.

5. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    'Taint a real shredder without a Floyd or a Kahler though. I mean, I can shred on my SG, but it's not a shredder. You gonna tell him to route out a big ol' cavity in his Tele for a Floyd?

6. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England
    Some guys do a nice job at ripping off some chops on a LP: Randy Rhodes, Jeff Watson, Joel Hoekstra, Doug Aldrich, Alex Skolnick, Buckethead and Zakk Wylde to name a few. It's all what feels good in your hands!

7. Elmore

Elmore Tele-Holic

Dec 18, 2011
    Atlanta
    Amen! I saw Randy Rhoads absolutely burn up a Les Paul fret board. And Al DiMeola could shred a Les Paul. How about a Gibson Flying V ala Michael Schenker? Very open fret board access on those. If the neck is too fat, shave it and refinish it.

MDent77 likes this.

8. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England

Ah, yes Al DiMeola! One of the few players who can aptly pickup the acoustic and be just as impressive.

One a side note, I’ve happened upon tons of exceptional shredders on youtube but have to admit the ssanders mock shredder videos I found most entertaining! Heh heh. {example}

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017

9. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    I want a hard tail for sure. I never want a trem again! I had an Ibanez RG550 as a teen. Just remember the neck being really fast. I usually use 10 or 11 gauge which is not shred material. I'm used to strangling the neck.

10. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Those RG550s were nice guitars. I went to buy one at GC back in the day and all they had was bright yellow. I passed. Kinda wish I hadn't. They're worth a pretty penny nowadays.

11. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

Mar 15, 2009
    virginia
    Put a Schecter in your hands and quit worrying about it.

cntry666 likes this.

12. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ
    I don't shred but my son's favorites include a, Washburn Nuno signature, an ESP neck through (custom shop not an LTD), and an Ibanez 7 string.

13. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ
    Forgot he also has an HM tele (MIJ Martin Scale 24 fret HS)

14. Tubeboy

Tubeboy Tele-Meister

May 20, 2017
    Saratoga Springs NY
    EVH WOLFGANG SPECIAL OR CHARVEL SAN DIMIAS

15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Though it is probably just the man, Guthrie Govan gets a great sound.
    He endorsed Suhr for awhile.
    He plays Charvels, now.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017

16. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    The gear is one thing.

The chops are a different ballgame...

17. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

That’s very personal. In my experience I can shred so much easier now on my Predator than any other guitar I have. I really wanted to like my LTD M-10 but the thin U neck shape is not for me. I need a thicker C profile neck with flat radius, the best would be no radius at all. But that’s just me

18. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Schecter Sun Valley Super Shredder. It's classy and thrashy

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.