Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Need a guitar for shredding. Which one?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by cntry666, Jun 22, 2017.

1. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    I already own 12 guitars mostly telecasters but I've been getting my shred chops back in order. I'm thinking it might be easier to get an Ibanez or Charvel or something. My teles while amazing have pretty thick necks and seem harder to play this stuff on.
    Anyone have any suggestions on a good guitar for some more shreddy playing?

2. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Go all in and get a BC Rich - they're awesome fun - I regularly play a mate's Kerry King 'Warlock'.

cntry666 likes this.

3. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    Good call. I love a Mockingbird.

dezb1 and AngelDeville like this.

4. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

5. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    Malmsteen Strat....

[​IMG]

I'm getting ready to scallop the fretboard on my strat.

Imma call it Hello Ywingve...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017

6. MDent77

MDent77 Tele-Holic

Jun 13, 2016
    New England

You’re right; the neck certainly is the area most important for you. Your fingers will need to decide. I’m not sure if you have a store that you can play a few ESP’s (LTD EC-1000 is geared to affordability and a nice feeling neck, IMO. I have been eye balling the one w/ Duncan PUs), I find the Ibanez wizard necks feel like butter in my hands. I haven't played many Ibanez' I do not like. But it’s really what you find most comfortable.

7. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Holic

May 12, 2016
    California
    A good wide and shallow neck with a flat radius could help. The 2015 gibsons have some of the widest and flatest necks outside of some Ibanez profiles. Really helps get a low and very playable action. Though it's a little too wide for most people.

8. sonofiam

sonofiam Tele-Meister

Jan 19, 2017
    Inland Northwest
    I like the Ibanez JS (Satriani signature) necks a lot. I've had a couple of guitars with the Wizard necks and they do take some getting used to, very flat profile, but are easy to play. I've found that Ibanez, with the exception of the GIO series, makes a quality guitar regardless of price. (GiO is the equivalent of the Squier Affinity series).

I have a JS2400 and it's one if my all time favorite guitars. The JS necks are thin and slim but have a nice roundness to the profile, often referred to as Fendery, that makes them very comfortable. I would call it a thin modern C.

An entry level JS100 can be found fairly reasonably priced ($300-$400) and is one of the better guitars you'll find in the price range. If you step up to a JS1000 or higher, the build quality is on par with the Prestige series. The JS1000 can be found under $1000 used. If you prefer a hardtail, the JS600, JS6 and SJ6000 are out there but can be hard to find.

9. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    In my experience Charvel and PRS are both very good candidates, but you may have to plan on switching out pickups on either

10. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    BC Rich are all over CraigsList dirt cheap. Kids buy them and after several years in closet they want it gone to buy big woofer for the car..

11. TinCanRunts

TinCanRunts TDPRI Member

Jan 10, 2017
    Canada
    I'm doing the same thing. I'm keen towards getting a Kramer. I'm trying to shred like the Sunset Strip guys from the 80s.

xafinity likes this.

12. Kyle01

Kyle01 TDPRI Member

Aug 8, 2016
    Atlanta
    I personally love Ibanez RG guitars for shred. The upper fret access is unparalleled and the neck profile is flat and thin.
    There are tons of entry and mid level models out there and they tend not to be very expensive. I find Ibanez excels at keeping their quality high in that price range.

13. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Hallmarks of a shredder were 24 frets with upper fret access, a thin neck, Floyd Rose or Kahler with string locks, and usually two humbuckers with maybe a single coil in the middle. Ibanez, Kramer, Hamer, Charvel, Jackson, Aria Pro II, and B.C. Rich were probably the biggest brands back in the day. ESP came onto the scene kinda late, but lots of people were into them in the early '90s with their active pickups.

A lot depends on your budget. Any of the above brands that were USA built are going to be great, but they're gonna cost you upwards of $500 used. Japanese made should be decent too. Main thing you want is a quality floating tremolo. It's a complex bridge that needs quality machined steel parts. Problem with most modern cheaper models is the trem will suck, which will cause tuning issues and string breakage. Back in the day I had an Ibanez RG, a Jackson Kelly, and an Alvarez Dana Triforce. All were Japanese made, all were good guitars. I also installed a Kahler on my SG; but now I look back and regret that dearly. I've since filled in the hole and refinished it. If you want new and are willing to spend $800, the modern Charvel San Dimas models are great guitars. Well built with pro quality components - no upgrades needed. Here's a link:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Charvel/Pro-Mod-San-Dimas-Style-1-2H-FR-Electric-Guitar.gc

Unless you find a guitar you really love, I'd stay away from Kahler equipped shredders. After putting them on guitars for years they finally lost a suit by Floyd Rose for stealing their idea. Replacement parts are hard to find, and cost a lot when you do find them. You can buy a brand new Floyd today and all the parts you could need for pretty cheap.

Just a few months back I picked this up, mainly out of wanting to relive my old twang bar days. It's a Kramer Pacer, Korean made - but it's got an Original Floyd Rose on it. Still not sure about the pickups, but the rest is pretty solid. Only thing I don't like is the bridge cavity wasn't recessed into the body for the tail, so I can't bend up as much as I would like. But it stays in tune.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017

14. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    I would say look around. I bought a Japanese Ibanez from 1991 for $34.25 in a local pawn shop. It's a killer guitar (although the plastic piece around the switch and the NOS knobs I had to buy cost me $45 - more than the guitar!).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

xafinity, studio1087 and blowtorch like this.

15. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    Not looking to spend a ton of money as it's not my main style but I don't want a cheap entry level guitar either. $400 maybe. Saw a lot of stuff used for under that.

16. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    90's Hammer Daytona. Yamaha Ty Taybor model.

17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    So many to choose from that it hardly matters what brand and model, I'd look for higher quality with good trem and frets in good condition.
    An awful lot of them were el cheapo and it's hard to tell them apart.
    Crap die cast Floyd copies wear out and suck even sooner.
    Hours and hours of shredding really do wear them out, plus young owners abuse them.
    Higher end models at least might not have been leaned against the radiator or left in the sun by the pool.

I did a setup on a Washburn Nuno Bettencourt for a shred guy who had it sitting in a corner due to playing the next hottest trend shred guitar.
    I thought it was pretty nice, and even looked like it was made of real wood.

18. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    Heck of a snag for that price, but that was when all of us were dumping our whammy guitars for fixed brdiges. That's worth quite a bit more now.

19. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I am always in favor of good gear on the cheap. I should say, when I suggested PRS, mine is a SE, and I got it at super low cost, used. Great guitar

20. noah330

noah330 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2009
    Maryland
    Really? I bought it less than 6 months ago. These trends sure do happen quickly!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.