Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Neck truss rod

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Chewie219, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Chewie219

Chewie219 Tele-Meister

What methods do you use to route out the truss rod? Should I cut out the neck from the blank, then route the truss rod or should I route first? What kind of jigs or templates do you use for the truss rod route?

I am using the broadcaster neck template that is on the forum. I am also most likely going to use the Martin style truss rod from stewmac. I don't want to have to route a curved truss rod slot. Thanks for the help.

2. czook

czook Tele-Afflicted

As I understand it, the only rod that sits in a flat channel is a two way rod.

Cut the blank to shape, find the centerline and route the channel.

More experienced builders will see this thread and add to what I wrote, but you also need to tell us if this is a one or two piece neck.

As far a jig, I clamp the flat neck blank in position and then set the guide board next to it so the router will rest against the guide board or boards and cut exactly down the centerline.

As someone very wise said here recently, the centerline is everything when building a neck.

My experience include ONLY two neck I have done recently and there are a lot of posts here that will help you. Colt did a tutorial that may be a sticky for 2 piece necks recently and there is a father and son thread recently that covers it also.

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity

I guess it depends on what you are trying to do. A hot rod goes into a long straight slot, which is best routed on a router table with a fence. A vintage style rod works on a curve routed into the neck itself from the bottom. It is routed, and 2 holes are drilled into the curve from the peghead and from the heel into the slot. The rod is installed and a skunk stripe is put in as a filler strip. You could do that as a rectangular piece in a jig probably more easily than cutting it out. Check out some of the neck building threads by using the search function.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity

Installing single action truss rod

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-hom...ss-rod-neck-build-w-no-continuity-issues.html

Installing a Martin Style Truss Rod from Stew Mac

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/293920-new-toys-2.html#post3631412

Installing a Stew Mac Hotrod Truss Rod

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/314349-building-two-piece-neck-limited-resources.html

6. Guitar novice

Guitar novice Tele-Afflicted

Legend colt.

That's what I'm doing next on my build so time to read up.

Cheers

7. Chewie219

Chewie219 Tele-Meister

Perfect! This is the info I needed. I am doing a two piece and a one piece. I have enough maple to do two so I figured why not try them both. I guess I have more reading to do. Thank you Colt. I have read a lot of your threads and know this will help tremendously.

8. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

sir knight. on your first strait single truss rod thread. it looks like you used the skunk strip to make the curve instead of bending the rod. am i correct?
    it seems most fear shaping a neck, that part dose not scare me as im use to do such on building bows... but the trust rod is the main thing that bugs me i guess in a neck build then fret work. i guess i was thinking i could just do a strait trus rod, then a fretboard.. i have no desire for a skunk stripe. well at least on my first couple of builds. im getting closer to having the needed tools if all goes well ill be able to start in about 2 months assuming no health issues pop up. thankfully my shop has a/c and well insulated ( much needed, i spent a few summers with out a/c working on bows.. when it hits 120F inside you get burnt out, hah endeed up in the hospital once cause of that. reason i put in a a/c my sister made me go figure.. stays cooler in there than theh ouse.. go figure.
    chris,

also the open peg head stock looks cool. :)
    im assuming you need classical type tuners for such?
    chris.

9. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity

Once you feed the rod through neck and screw on the nut, the rod bends itself to the curve in the channel. Then I cut the skunk stripe to match the curve in the channel.

Here is the thread for the slothead build. I bought those tuners from StewMac. They are vintage style steel string slothead tuners.

10. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

ok, thank you the curve must be adjusted in your jig already. i wonder how ibanez gets away with there wizard necks. not enough room there any curve. well i dunno but they are pretty skinny. thanks for the link on the slothead. i will go read now.

chris.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.