Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Neck Side to Side Movment- Normal?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by SonicDiveBomb, Nov 13, 2017.

1. SonicDiveBomb

SonicDiveBomb Tele-Meister

Jun 15, 2014
    Philadelphia
    I was playing a gig the other night when I pulled my jaguar’s neck toward me to bend the note, instead of the usual pulling it away from the neck joint. Low and behold, the guitar went out of tune. I pulled it back and it was fine.
    After the gig, I went home to check on my other Guitars to make sure it was just an isolated incident- it was not. All of my bolt on necks with a bit of force have some slight side to side movement. All of which except for my 2013 American standard telecaster.
    I got a little nervous, as immediately the guitar i tested after the jaguar was my 75 deluxe and those CBS era Guitars are known to have bad neck pockets even though it looks pretty good. That one also went out of tune. So I ended up testing all my other guitars with bolt on necks. A combination of Japanese and Mexican Guitars.

I’m guessing this is just a byproduct of having bolt on necks sometimes? It is a considerable amount of force. I guess it makes sense, like when you bash your headstock on something by accident (or not) and your guitar goes out of tune.

2. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    In short, I'd say yes. Whether this is really an issue is just a matter of degree - i.e., how hard are you pulling to get the movement, and how tight are the pocket screws. If it only happens with an accidental bump (or a moment of sideways psycho-bending :eek::D), then it's not really a problem to just adjust it back. I'd caution against over-tightening the neck screws in an effort to preclude this, since I've seen that lead to local neck change that won't adjust out with the truss rod.

3. SonicDiveBomb

Jun 15, 2014
    Philadelphia
    I figured this was the answer. The neck screws are snug and the pulling is definitely more force then you’d probably ever encounter besides bumping the guitar, which is probably why I haven’t noticed on ANY of my instruments until now

4. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2016
    Stygian Gulf
    If you want them to stay put, cut a dime sized piece of window screen and place it between the neck and pocket. You’ll not have any problem with the neck moving again. The screen is thin so it will not affect setup. It will provide enough friction between the neck and body to prevent any movement.

5. TeleTucson

Aug 6, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    Preferably an old-fashioned metal screen, not nylon :)

Darkness likes this.

6. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2016
    Stygian Gulf
    Doh! I knew I shoulda said metal screen. :confused:

7. SonicDiveBomb

Jun 15, 2014
    Philadelphia
    Cool!

Just place it right in the middle of the pocket?

8. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2016
    Stygian Gulf
    Yup.

9. SonicDiveBomb

Jun 15, 2014
    Philadelphia
    Is there a specific reason the nylon don’t work? Probably because it compresses as you put the neck on?

Darkness likes this.

10. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    atlanta
    if you have metal inserts in your neck and machine screws it should pretty much stay in place. Wood screws can wallow out over time. I've got an old Les Paul copy (japanese) from the 70's thats very prone to what you're experiencing.

Bought the threaded inserts but haven't put them in yet. you can get steel or brass inserts, either will be much stronger than a wood screw - brass is cheaper.

SonicDiveBomb likes this.

11. SonicDiveBomb

Jun 15, 2014
    Philadelphia
    Update- window screening did not work. Going to see what else I can try. Looking into machine screws

12. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2016
    Stygian Gulf
    Wow. First time I’ve heard that the metal screen didn’t work. Perhaps the pocket is off? Good luck with the inserts. Let us know.

13. Hobs

Hobs TDPRI Member

Sep 16, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Make sure that the neck isn't hanging up on the pickguard. Sometimes, especially on 22 fret necks, a deep pocket can cause interference between the pickguard and the fretboard extension that keeps the neck from sitting properly in the pocket.

14. SonicDiveBomb

Jun 15, 2014
    Philadelphia
    The jaguar neck doesn’t have overhang like 22 fret tele necks usually do

15. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    @SonicDiveBomb, are your neck heels fully seated against the guitars' bodies? Do you tune to pitch, loosen all of the neck screws 1/4 turn to let the neck snuggle up to the body, and then re-tighten and re-tune?

Darkness likes this.

16. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    atlanta
    are you supposed to do this evey time you tune, or just after removing the neck? I've never done it this way. I usually tighten the screws diagonally, and work my way around clockwise snugging them equally as I go and resnugging as they seat themselves - rather than cranking one all the way down and then moving to the next and cranking it all way down etc.

kinda like the way your supposed to tighten screws on cpu heatsinks (spring loaded style)

17. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    I do it once after each string change, before I stretch the strings. I'm not sure in what order I re-tighten the screws, but I think I do the two lower (closer to the bridge) ones first.

18. TeleTucson

Aug 6, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    I recommend you hit pause. It really sounds like you're going down a rabbit hole to solve a non-problem. It's easy to end up with a real problem.

Also, for the screen trick, not sure why you'd want to do a dime-size bump; seems that this would just give a pivot point. I think a piece for the whole pocket base would be more effective, and the minor rise in the neck would be easily compensated by a slight raise of the saddles.

But, still think you're solving a non-problem if you only saw this as a result of your sideways psycho-bend :D

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.