Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Neck shimming. Long term issues?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by VintageSG, Jul 31, 2018.

1. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2010
    Melbourne
    Not thick at Stewmac ...

Taper specs (approximate)
    0.25-degree shim tapers from 0.030" to 0.019" (0.76mm to 0.48mm)
    0.5-degree shim tapers from 0.028" to 0.008" (0.71mm to 0.20mm)
    1-degree shim tapers from 0.060" to 0.010" (1.52mm to 0.25mm)

https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_a...itar_Necks/StewMac_Neck_Shims_for_Guitar.html

2. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2003
    Nottingham, UK
    VintageSG likes this.
  3. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Nice drawing there @IronSchef

This discussion often brings heated debates and I usually get totally flamed and beat up for my opinions and observations on the subject. But.....:

A) Can a "Fender factory style" shim at either end of the pocket cause issues similar to what IronSchef shows? Absolutely! I've seen multiple necks with warpage that exactly matches the shim/neck/body/screw locations. The fact that some other folks have not seen/experienced this does not change the fact that I have seen it! Wood is wood and is subject to movement/distortion from tension, humidity and temperature fluctuations.
    B) Will the problem always occur? Definitely not, due to many factors.
    C) Is the Fender shimming method great or "Just good enough?" Your guitar, your chance, your choice!
    D) Can there be any denial that a full contact shim (like the ones from StewMac) is the best and most proper way to shim a neck? I think not!
    Just My $.02,
    Gene

IronSchef likes this.
  4. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire
    Very kind of you Sir!.

I'll give it a week and see if it was just the weather causing the anomaly, and if it's still requiring the shim, I'll PM you.

Once again, thank you very much for the offer.

PeterUK likes this.
  5. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    a) Never ever seen it. Those screws would have to be awful tight to do that... the wood would strip out first. They only have to be snug.
    b) Fender has put the Micro tilt on their guitars for many years, essentially the same as a shim.
    c) even if it did happen on one out of a 100,000 guitars it's inconsequential.
    d) the body rout in not very flat anyway. Often there is finish residue etc in there.

6. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2003
    Nottingham, UK
    No problem. I’ll be doing some guitar tech work this weekend so I’ll prepare a couple.

Let me know if you want to try one.

:) Peter

7. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

I used a Stew-Mac 0.25 shim on my MIJ Custom Telecaster w/Bigsby and it did the trick.

Worked perfectly!

8. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    It is logical what you say, but on some guitars for technical reasons the bridge won't go any lower if you want lower action. As in the saddles are all the way down and it's still too high for your needs.

There are probably other reasons as well.

9. macatt

macatt Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2007
    silverdale wa
    ^This is correct^

There is a lot of confusion among people when it comes to just what a shim does.
    The OP could have solved his problem by simply adjusting saddles.
    Tilting the neck up or down has exactly the same effect as raising or lowering the saddles.

Only shim if you run out of saddle adjustment room; for instance, if the saddles are all the way down to the bridge plate or if if they are teetering at the top of the grub screws.

S Mac

10. VintageSG

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire
    Saddles teetering at the top of the screws.
    Shimming at the headstock end of the neck pocket also alters the angle the string leaves the fret/clearance over the next fret ( I could put that better ) as the neck is now at an angle.
    It seems to work.

11. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

Jan 10, 2013
    CT
    I would avoid overtightening the screws, they will hold fine surprisingly moderately tightened. That issue above seems like you'd need a lot of tension on the screws.

12. Totally_Tod

Totally_Tod Tele-Meister

Jul 23, 2018
    Los Angeles, Ca
    I have a ‘63 Strat and it still has the same factory shim, still works perfectly.

13. gobius

gobius NEW MEMBER!

Aug 10, 2018
    Ukraine
    Please could anybody tell does shimming material for the side of the neck pocket matter? On my neck, the strings were not centered, and the neck would slide back in it's skewed position whenever I aligned it. I put a piece of thick visit card paper to the side of the pocket but now I'm in a doubt if it's bad? I didn't notice an audible difference, but I don't trust my ears.

14. VintageSG

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire
    Always trust your ears.
    As to the material, no, it doesn't matter. Whatever works.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.