Neck Shape & Size - Am Pro vs Baja 60s

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RYAN1987M, Feb 9, 2019.

1. RYAN1987M

RYAN1987M Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Hello,

I was just curious if anyone has played both an American Professional Tele & a Classic Player Baja '60s Tele - if so, I'd be really curious to know how their necks compare?

I believe they're both described as Medium C? I can't seem to find reliable measures (thickness at the 1st and 12th) for either. Based upon my research, I think that they're probably somewhat similar? I'm afraid that I can't find a Baja '60s in my area to try out...although I know that I love the new Am Pro necks.

Any information would be much appreciated - thanks!

2. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Big difference may be the width. I think the Am Pro neck nut is 1-11/16 while the Baja 60s nut is 1-10/16".

RYAN1987M likes this.
  3. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

I found this thread because I am looking at necks. Since my last post, I have found other posts that claim the 60s baja necks are more like 1.67"-1.7". So forget the 1.625" comment above. Also though, I think the baja neck is even fatter than the Am Pro neck.... like .88-.92 rather than .83-.90.

Also, the Am Pro has med tall frets (.055" tall) while the baja has med jumbos (.047" tall).

RYAN1987M likes this.
  4. Heyitsmejoeg

Heyitsmejoeg TDPRI Member

Two totally different necks. I prefer the am pro, the neck seems to get thicker as it goes up the neck ,It feels different that the others ,the 60 Baja is a rather common neck imho but it comes down to personal preference.

RYAN1987M likes this.
  5. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I firmly believe that when it comes to the neck, go with what you know. I just wasted a lot of time trying to decide on the new neck for a current project and in the end I realized that the only way to avoid a mistake was to go with what I know....a '50's Baja neck. I looked at the Am Pro and then I studied the Warmoth profiles while bouncing the specs off of the necks that I already have and like on other instruments. All that I accomplished was running around until dizzy.

Profiles are only part of the story, the other is how it works with the body. For example, I like rounded necks with wide nuts yet my favorite neck is on a Godin Kingpin ll archtop which is a 16 inch radus and narrow nut. On paper, I should hate that neck, yet it works so well on that body. The short scale and bout shape placed the neck right where I like it and made for a perfect fit for my playing style.

You really have to get them into your hands, no way around it before you can decide.

RYAN1987M likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.