Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Neck question on Classic Vibe Tele

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by alphadog808, Jul 5, 2018.

1. alphadog808

alphadog808 TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Hawaii
    Hi guys,
    I am revisiting a CV Tele I picked up a while ago, and wow...it sounds great/so different than my other guitars! However, even tho it seems the web loves the necks on these, I think the frets are a little to low to me...I'm used to larger frets(charvel jumbos) so this feels a bit strange.

I was considering replacing the neck-would a 22 fret neck work? the stock one is 21 frets, I wasn't sure if there would be issues(intonation?) due to the other fret or if the scale length change would mess up the tone I'm getting at the moment?

What's weird to me is that this supposed to be medium jumbo frets, but I think I got a one off or something(bought used) because the fretting doesn't seem to be that way...especially when bending..can totally feel the fretboard.

Thanks!

2. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    most replacement necks should be fine, they're the same scale length and the 22nd fret should sit on an overhang. I'd probably ask yourself how often do you use the 22nd fret, I play a lot up the neck but the fret wear on all my guitars shows its never used. I'd probably be more inclined to get a quote for a refret if you like the current neck profile.

nojazzhere likes this.

3. jfgesquire

jfgesquire TDPRI Member

May 23, 2018
    Lake View
    The stock pickguard on my 50s CV is very thick... My only concern would be that a 22 fret neck overhang would catch the pickguard and not seat right in the neck pocket.

4. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    I assume its thick single ply then, that should still be fine as it'll be about as thick as a 3 ply found on pretty much any guitar with 22 frets

5. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    It wouldn't be to hard to sand the underside of the 'shelf' a bit thinner.

6. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    I put a 22 fret Fender USA american standard neck on a Classic Vibe '50's Butterscotch Blonde. Bolted right on, everything worked perfectly after just the typical set-up adjustments. The scale length is unchanged, everything is right relative to the mounting holes and the bridge - just an extra fret with a bit of overhang over the pickguard. Easy peasy. There was plenty of space for the pickguard under the "shelf". :)

7. jfgesquire

jfgesquire TDPRI Member

May 23, 2018
    Lake View
    That's good to know...I hear so many stories about varying pocket depth and neck thickness and all that I was concerned.

My one ply CV pickguard is actually thicker than my 3 ply Strat guard.

8. alphadog808

alphadog808 TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Hawaii
    Thanks guys. I don't use the 22nd fret that often either, but there is alot more necks to choose from(ebay) if I can use a 22 fret neck.

I did a quick measurement, the neck looks to be 2 3/16" so any standard fender neck should fit ok?

9. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    how do you know you'll like the frets on the new neck if you're just buying from eBay. You could get an in stock warmoth neck for less than $200 and choose your own frets.

10. EspyHop

EspyHop TDPRI Member

May 28, 2018
    Dayton, OH
    The frets on mine are a little too Gibson for my taste, and the excessive poly makes it feel like plastic. Sounds great, though.

11. alphadog808

alphadog808 TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2012
    Hawaii
    Asmith, you’re right, I wouldn’t know for sure. I did go to a guitar shop to try some teles they had, seemed like a Japan one I tried had the same low frets. I think I tried a MIM a while back that felt better...

12. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    this is why I think might be better off with a solution that allows you to choose your specific frets

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.