Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Neck/Pocket Question

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by WideAwake, Aug 7, 2018.

1. WideAwake

WideAwake Tele-Meister

Sep 9, 2008
    Portland, Maine
    I just got a brand new American Original 60's Telecaster. It's actually my 2nd one, I sent the first one back because the high E string was almost falling off the frets. I probably could have taken it somewhere and gotten it fixed, but these things are expensive.

Got the replacement, which I like much better. The neck feels better, sounds great, etc. Love it.

However! On this one, the high e has plenty of room, but the low e above the 10th fret could probably stand to have a little more. It's not terrible at all, every once in a while i'll push it off soloing higher, but not often.

What I did notice, and you can see in the picture, is the neck isn't flush, there is a slight body overhang. Because of this, it's super tight on the low e side, not sure if it would make adjusting in the future difficult. Or is this overhang normal and nothing to worry about?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I really love this guitar and would hate to send it back again.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

Some of my guitars are like that, try to move the string from the saddle to make the string spacing even. It may just be that.

it could use a little bit of re-setting the neck, unbolting and re-screwing to make it "sit" properly. My american professional tele is seated properly but has a bit of a neck pocket gap on the low e side. Plays perfectly, stays in tune and doesnt affect playability.

but that thing will bother you for life, Id suggest that you take it back, ask for another one if you can, (you're a paying customer and have the right to nitpick), but nothing cant be fixed by having it set up by a pro luthier and have it re-seated properly. you could miss out on a really good sounding guitar and get a perfect one, but a dud.

3. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Friend of Leo's

Oct 29, 2013
    NYC
    Loosen all of the neck screws about 1/4 turn to allow the strings' tension to pull the neck heel firmly into the pocket. If the neck lines up perfectly then, that's good -- tighten the screws and re-tune. If not, pull the neck toward one side to line it up, and hold it there while you tighten the screws.

Sollipsist likes this.

4. WideAwake

WideAwake Tele-Meister

Sep 9, 2008
    Portland, Maine
    Thanks. My worry is that from what i can tell, the neck needs to move to the left to even the string spacing. However, because it's slighty offset from the body, the left side is super tight in the pocket. I'm not sure there is anywhere to go. I can post a pick of the left side pocket tonight.

And yeah, I really like this guitar, I'd hate to send it back and get one I don't like as much for sure. I figured at this price, I wouldn't have these issues.

5. Zeonoid

Zeonoid Tele-Meister

Dec 17, 2008
    Slovakia, EU
    It sucks big time my brother
    just go and buy yamaha
    :D

NilsZippo likes this.

6. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    Doesn't look to me like the neck is "offset" at all. The neck pocket is straight, and the neck is tapered. That leaves a gap or shelf like you show in the picture. It is not how you judge the neck alignment or fit. Instead it's quite normal.

Do yourself a favor and do the neck chiropractor trick to align the strings. It would've saved you sending back the first guitar.

NilsZippo likes this.

7. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Try it, sometimes it doesnt take much!. The American Strat and Teles have this design defect.... you pay more for that!. Narrower bridges with your screw spacing may be available, but with string thru Teles it's maybe an issue.

8. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Meister

It might sound counter-intuitive, but if you loosen up some on the string tension, then loosen the neck screws a bit, and can then shift the headstock a bit to the right, it will give you a bit more fret board under the low E in the higher frets. Get the neck where you want it, tighten up the screws, tune back up to pitch, and give it a play! :)

You'll still want to keep the heel of the neck tight to the heel of the pocket, and shoved hard to the left. Think of that bottom left hand corner as a pivot point or the center point of an axis.

When you push the headstock to the right, you can think of the headstock as the point on the line that is rotating clockwise around the center-point of the neck's heel.

From your photo, I can see that you have some room in the neck pocket to do this. It looks like the margin or gap between the pocket and the neck is wider at the top, shoving the headstock to the right will help to even up that margin too.

Here's the kicker though - whatever you gain on the low E side, you will lose on the high E side.

A happy medium is the goal, and it may be enough to solve your problem with a very minimum amount of work and no modifications.

Give it a try, it's much simpler than I've made it sound :).

Good luck to ya!

Best Regards,
    Geo.

NilsZippo likes this.

9. WideAwake

WideAwake Tele-Meister

Sep 9, 2008
    Portland, Maine
    Thank everyone! Appreciate the helpful replies!

The Angry Possum likes this.

10. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum Tele-Meister

Nov 10, 2017
    Staten Island NY
    I would and did. ..
    A. Loosen the Guitar Strings. B. Loosen one neck screw at a time till I could turn the neck slightly till it moves to desired positioning. Then C. Retighten the neck screws carefully. Be careful not to overtighten the neck screws, I did and had to put a nice lil would splice in the stripped nut hole, it tightened up fine though. No need for dowel surgery...

I did this with one of my builds. It worked nice.

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    There are a number of ways to adjust this alignment, but if the neck is tight to the bass side of the pocket, I prefer to not open a gap there by shifting the neck if I can make the adjustment at the bridge.
    If there is another problem then that might not be the best move.

Being unable to assess the whole guitar it's hard to give the correct solution.

It could easily get knocked out of alignment in shipping, or maybe even never got set up perfectly to begin with.

12. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Holic

Aug 25, 2016
    I had a serious 1st string issue like yours with my paisley Tele. It took more manhandling than I was comfortable with to get it sitting right, but now it's a dream to play.

Pretty much the same as everyone said already... I basically just loosened the neck bolts without loosening the strings at all, and when it gave me a frightening creak like a ship in a hurricane, I yanked the neck toward me (toward the bass side) and tightened the bolts back up.

I let it sit for a day or so, and then did it again. It was a paulownia body, so I was expecting to be left holding driftwood, or to get rushed to the emergency room, but everyone survived. Didn't even need to redo the intonation.

LutherBurger likes this.

13. WideAwake

WideAwake Tele-Meister

Sep 9, 2008
    Portland, Maine
    Update! I was able to fix this by following everyone's suggestions! I've got more space for the low E, and it evened up the overhang a bit more. Thanks so much! Here is a before and after pic. It may not look like a huge difference, but that's all it took to get it where it needed to be.

[​IMG]

LutherBurger likes this.

14. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Pleased you have fixed it, but...

Why can't Fender get it right?

For crying out loud, they've only been building Teles for 68 years.

I do wonder whether anyone in QA even plays the guitar.

WideAwake likes this.

15. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Meister

Good to see the before and especially the "after" picture, it's pretty much what I hoped to see from your description :).

A very small angular adjustment at the heel end translates into a considerable amount of movement at the headstock, no voo-doo involved, just mathematics.

Although I am kinda surprised to see a brand new guitar come with a set up like that.

Best Regards,
    Geo.

NilsZippo likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.