Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Neck pickup swap to p 90?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by tweed58blues, Nov 5, 2017.

1. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Another option to consider… Cavalier pickups (Rob is a vendor here) offers an overwound tele pickup that may approximate a P90 sound... link to the thread below.

Cavalier Tele Pickups!!!

Peckhammer likes this.

2. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2013
    NW USA
    As others have said, you will have to consider getting a different bridge pickup as a P-90 in the neck will be more corpulent and the bridge pickup can seem anemic vs a P90 type pickup. The mini-humbucker or Firebird type humbucker always seem to mate up better with a Telecaster bridge pickup than a P90 in my experience. The P-90 also needs a different value pot to work correctly. 500k is usually best for volume though the 250k pot will work for the tone. In a common 2 pot Telecaster this could be an issue depending on your taste. Concentric pots are a possibility, but how far do you want to go. Using a higher output bridge pickup would cause you to change the pot value for the volume pot anyways.

3. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I'd hot rod it with a seymour antiquities mini humbucker before doing a P90.

Not to say a pretty underwound P90 wouldn't do justice, like 20% underwound i'd say...

4. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle
    I've built two teles with a P90 neck and standard single coil bridge pickups. I had the pickups custom wound by Homewrecker in LA. The P90 was around 7K, the bridge single coil was wound to 13.2K. I used 500K pots. I also used a 470K resistor connected between the bridge hot wire at the switch and ground to mimic a 250K for that pickup. Even then, I had to lower the P90 quite a bit to balance the sound. I considered using a trim pot for the P90. If I ever build another, I will do that.

5. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Holic

Feb 13, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Have you considered the "Twisted Tele" like found on the Baja. It's got a fatter sound without taking the volumn too high. A great way to test this would just be to sit down with a Baja for an hour or so.

6. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR

Or any other 'Tallboy' varies. RIO Grande has a few levels ie halfbreed, dirty harry, muy grande.

Or just a Strat PU...

Another bolder option is a dual blade or stacked 4 wire and have a switching option to put the coils in Parallel. Which can also be done with a stacked P90 and mini HB wired accordingly.

7. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    I'll 2nd the 500K pot thing.

While not a true P90, I put a GFS Dream 90 in the neck position of my MIM Standard.
    I also put a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound in the bridge and the balance between the 2 pickups is just about perfect.
    I used 500K pots for both volume and treble.

8. tweed58blues

tweed58blues TDPRI Member

Sep 29, 2017
    lake forest IL
    Yea, the one thing for sure I wouldn't do is rout the body myself, Ive been surfing the internet, and talking to some of the guys at my local shop, and i'm starting to lean toward the HB in the neck position of the tele. I was really interested in the p 90, but I feel like a HB rout would be more versatile, even if I wanted the P 90 sound, I could look at Fralin p-92's or something along those lines. I gotta definitely put a lot more thought into it before I shell out the money to get this done

9. nervous

nervous TDPRI Member

Jul 1, 2016
    Beautiful Central NY
    The obvious nice think about the Tele and anything with a pickguard and a lot of real estate beneath it is the ability to make the kind of thing the OP is considering relatively easy and low risk. Once the beneath is opened up by whatever method all you need is a pickup and matching pickguard and it looks factory fresh. However that particular sausage is made is hidden from view and easy to return to stock if you like. I have done that with a couple Fender style basses making them easily convertible. I have one now. Yeah, I know it can make reselling tricky but as long as it's not a vintage instrument of value and the work is done fairly well the next owner might actually appreciate the flexibility.

10. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    I'd agree with this, it's just wood and won't affect the guitar's tone at all

rout away

I was hoping to find a Sanford Magnetics 9022 to go with my 9077 (should've bought two at a time! doh!), and may go with a Tonerider Vintage 90 -- A2, about the same DCR, inductance, etc

nervous likes this.

11. gizzard

gizzard TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Jan 21, 2007
    Seabrook TX

12. gizzard

gizzard TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Jan 21, 2007
    Seabrook TX
    Cutis will discuss how to match a set of pickups and will custom wind to your specs. Great guy to work with. I would call him before any routing

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.