Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Neck pickup swap to p 90?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by tweed58blues, Nov 5, 2017.

1. tweed58blues

tweed58blues TDPRI Member

Sep 29, 2017
    lake forest IL
    I was thinking about swapping out the neck pickup on my 58 AVRI to a p 90, but since I’d have to get it routed, I’m on the fence. I’ve always liked the look of a p 90 on a tele, I just want multiple opinions

2. LP26

LP26 Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2017
    Earth
    You might consider TV Jones Starwood Tele pickups.
    No, they are not P90's, but they do produce a good deal of that P90 thickness, growl and grit.
    They are drop in replacements, so no routing retired.

I put them in my 2017 Tele Pro along with an Emerson 4-way switch (you have to lift the ground on the neck pickup for the 4-way to work) and am getting fantastic tone in all positions.

cabra velha, Piggy Stu and Tootle like this.

3. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    '
    P-90 style pickups can be much hotter and fatter sounding than a typical Tele neck pickup, so it may not be a good match with a typical Tele bridge pickup - especially one with a "vintage" output.

Then again, not all P-90s are the same, unfortunately the only way to find out is to try them.

Anyway, adding a P-90 pickup to a Tele isn't something I'd personally be interested in doing (since I already own a couple P-90 guitars), but if I were, I would only do it if I had a spare project guitar but not on something like an AVRI, but that's just me...

'

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    Piggy Stu likes this.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

I have a PRS SE Single-cut with dual P90s and I use both of the pickups. If I only had a neck pickup it would be a lot less fun.
    I do have a Strat-like-object that I modded for dual P90s (it's my $15 test mule) and that convinced me to watch for the PRS.

If you route the body for the P90 and decide later to go with something else you are only a pickguard change away. Maybe route it for more adventure, I have a Jazzmaster pickup in the neck of my test mule right now ;)

5. tweed58blues

tweed58blues TDPRI Member

Sep 29, 2017
    lake forest IL
    Yea, I know what you mean, it’s a pretty big decision, I was also considering a Humbucker in the neck, really the only thing I’ve been heasitating towards is having the body routed- I know a really good shop near me that would do an amazing job with it- I just wanted some feedback on p 90s as an option, because I played a tele from 68’ with a p 90 in the neck and it sounded amazing-

6. dmoss74

dmoss74 Tele-Holic

Mar 28, 2010
    usa
    if you're going to keep a standard tele bridge pickup, then i'd talk to a reputable pickup winder about getting an underwound p 90. i had david plummer from zhangbucker pickups wind me a nice p 90 to go with a tele. i think (i sold the guitar a while ago) that it read in the 4.5 to 5 range.

what i'd also suggest is getting a dual concentric pot, so you can have two separate pot values for the pickups. but a p90 in a tele neck slot sounds very nice indeed.

Piggy Stu likes this.

7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Tele-Afflicted

Nov 15, 2010
    Texas
    Piggy Stu and Crobbins like this.

8. dogmeat

dogmeat TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2017
    Alaska
    I've been foolin' with the P-Rails lately.... single coil, P90, Bucker all in one. havn't put one in a Tele, but lots of good sounds

9. absurdocaster

absurdocaster Tele-Meister

Oct 10, 2013
    Calgary, Canada
    Porter Pickups make a p90 flavoured tele pick up set that are made in standard tele shapes and size. Check out there website as they might check your boxes.

10. sergiomajluf

sergiomajluf Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2015
    Santiago, Chile
    I have only one tele (a thinline I built myself if I may add) and it’s my only guitar with a P90. A Mighty Mite. I’m completely in love with it

Here’s the first clip I recorded with it

">

link:

Science then I changed the neck to a Baritone and the p90 loves the extra low end

11. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    I tried GFS overwound single coils. It sounds amazing! Fat and loud!

12. etype

etype Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2014
    Dallas
    I have a set of these Porter 9Ts. Worth checking out.

13. RnBtele

RnBtele TDPRI Member

Jun 17, 2017
    Starkville, Mississippi
    I have a p90 in my classic vibe tele. Its a Seymour Duncan vintage p90 neck pickup. At first I had a few problems getting it to balance well with the stock bridge pickup. However I was able to solve that problem by swapping out the a5 magnets for a3's and lowering the pickup flush with the pickguard. For me the a5's were too boomy for the neck. The a3's really sweetened it up... Oh since I have the vintage blonde model, my stock bridge pickup is supposed to be wound a little hotter than vintage. I'd compare its output to being a smidgen higher than the nocaster bridge pickup in my other tele since it can make my practice amp distort a little easier.... An underwound p90 would probably be the safest bet though since I don't know how much output the stock 58 bridge pickup has.

14. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

P90's usually work better in pairs..with 500K pots.... IMHO... :)

15. Clifton C

Clifton C Tele-Holic

Aug 26, 2010
    Houston
    I think you mean "rout."

16. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    '
    Just a cautionary note:

There have been countless cases where people have regretted hacking up their beloved instruments (Eddie Van Halen and myself included), so one should give it much serious consideration before firing up that power tool and removing chunks of wood, since you can't go back once the deed is done.

Don't be one of "those" guys...

IMG_4371.JPG
    '

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017

17. MMARSH

MMARSH Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2015
    CA
    Yes, these are great pickups! I have a MIM Strat with these, great guitar, great pups. I have mine wired to do Humbucker/Parallel (my favorite)/rail/P90. Sweet tones!

18. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

19. The Blood

The Blood Tele-Meister

Dec 31, 2014
    Healdsburg, CA
    Changing pick ups is one thing but when it comes to taking chunks of wood out of your guitar it seems to make more sense to me to explore what’s available cheaply in the used market in your neighborhood that might already have room for p90’s.
    I love my my neck P90 for playing around the house. it’s mellow but has enough drive to make the pedals work well. I just put a quarter pounder in the bridge position as recommended by Seymour Duncan and it’s almost as strong as the tonerider P90 I’m using, but not quite though.

20. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 30, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    The Rose Freedom T90 will drop right in with zero mods to the body or pick guard..
    I have a set of Freedoms T 90s. P90 sound in a Tele..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.