Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Neck Pickup Mounted Directly to Body

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by bobbyogata, Sep 23, 2017.

1. bobbyogata

bobbyogata NEW MEMBER!

Sep 22, 2017
    Las Vegas, NV
    Can anyone point me to instructions on how to mount the neck pickup directly into the body rather than screw it into the pickguard?

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA

3. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

The screws need to be 'wood screws' with a sharp pointy point not machine screws (the image above looks like machine screws, done for just the diagram but don't take it literally).

Use either foam or springs but you don't really need both; unless you prefer to wear a belt with your suspenders.

4. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Put a big blob of bluetac/plasticine in the neck pocket....
    push your pickup through the pick guard and mount the pick guard in place with a few screws...
    push the pickup into the bluetac to hold it in the exact spot for a good fit in the pocket/pick guard..
    . take the PG off leaving the pickup stuck to the bluetac....
    drill a small drill through the mounting holes into the body.... don't drill through the back....

take the PU/bluetac out and fit the screws/tubes/springs in place to mount the PU....
    adjust the pickup height through testing the sound balance with the bridge PU...

put the PG back on ..done... good luck...

bobbyogata likes this.

5. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL

6. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    Yesterday, for the first time, I unscrewed and re-screwed the neck pickup on my Baja 60s (it was slanted forward and it bothered me slightly). It was real simple: the pickup, two rubber tubings as spacers, and two long wood screws. That’s it. As per the diagram above, but without the foam.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I would not recommend just using foam.

To me, the worst thing we can do is make a sort of pedestal in the middle, then cinch down either end or corner of a pickup. This torques the pickup and its windings and can create an opportunity for voids and voids mean uncontrolled squeal. Support at the mount points, is paramount. IMO.

bob barcus likes this.

8. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Do people mount to the body so they don't have the screwheads showing on the guard?

I never had a Tele style where the neck doesn't hang from the guard, so I don't understand the reasoning behind body mounting.

9. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Some of us are approaching the body shape where we have to.

drew1d likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.