Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Neck pickup leaning

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Scuzzy62, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Scuzzy62

Scuzzy62 NEW MEMBER!

Sep 12, 2018
    Bay Area
    Hi guys! I'm relatively new to Telecasters but so far I really like my American Special. I took the pickguard up to start doing some shielding, but after putting it back on I can't get the pickup to sit straight. I know it doesn't affect tone but it's driving me nuts.

The pickup is leaning towards the fretboard.
    I've tried changing the height adjustment tubing, but it just seems like it doesn't sit parallel with the pickguard, which it is mounted to. Could it be the wires are too short and tugging on it?

2. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Holic

May 28, 2008
    netherlands
    can be that the shielding, if it was tape, gets in the way, also that the screw is not fitted good in the pickup.
    get the pickgaurd out and see if the pickup hangs straight like you want. if so, i would check the side of the routing at the bridge side, because if it sticks there, it will lift the pickup i think.

Scuzzy62 likes this.

3. Scuzzy62

Scuzzy62 NEW MEMBER!

Sep 12, 2018
    Bay Area
    It actually doesn't even hang correctly from the pickguard. I wonder if it could be the screw? Is it supposed to be kind of loose? If a photo will help please let me know.

4. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Holic

May 28, 2008
    netherlands
    you would have to check if the screw is loos in the hole ore not. with a little friction it could force the pickup to lean i think

5. VintageGearMan

VintageGearMan TDPRI Member

Feb 25, 2018
    Canada, Quebec City
    I had a similar problem, I replaced the little rubber kinda washers between the pickup and the pickguard, and that did it for me

6. VintageGearMan

VintageGearMan TDPRI Member

Feb 25, 2018
    Canada, Quebec City
    I should add that it is now very tight, since the new ones are bigger, thats why it pushes all of the pickup straight

7. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    It is a common problem with Fender pickups suspended from a pickguard. Strats are the worst. Go take a look at a recent thread here where someone posted some pics from the Hendrix museum. His Woodstock Strat has horribly leaning pickups.

I cured my Strat by getting rid of the surgical tubing and putting in conical pickup springs from StewMac. Or, better yet, anchor that neck pickup to the body as it should be on a Telecaster.

[​IMG]

8. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Mine tilts a little the same way hanging from a leather pickguard.

Don't care.

9. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    p.s. Know that this isn't really a big deal. It's largely cosmetic and you're the only one that'll see it.As long as you have the heights set well, you're good-to-go.

Consider that all electric archtops do not have strings that are parallel to the top of the pickups. No biggie. But, I admit it bothered me enough to get the springs I mentioned above.

10. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    Mom always said, "If it leans to the left, call a Dr."

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.