Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Neck pickup attachment to body

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Halatando, May 17, 2013.

1. Halatando

Halatando TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2010
    River Forest, IL
    I am going to be installing a 5-hole single ply pickguard on my MIM standard Tele. Since the new pickguard doesn't have any holes to mount the neck pup onto, I need to figure out how to attach the neck pickup to the body. Any experience on this? My Tele is routed for humbuckers in the neck position, if that would affect anything. Thanks!

2. richinva

richinva Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2010
    Rice, VA
    Are you able to drill the p/g?

3. flatfive

flatfive Friend of Leo's

Apr 23, 2009
    Monterey, CA
    At the risk of being obvious, why not drill holes in the new 'guard for the pickup?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Halatando

Halatando TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2010
    River Forest, IL
    Good question. IMHO, the fewer screws in the single ply guard look cleaner to me.

6. flatfive

flatfive Friend of Leo's

Apr 23, 2009
    Monterey, CA
    Okay, makes sense, but it's nice to have easy adjustability
    of pickup height.

7. PinewoodRo

PinewoodRo Tele-Afflicted

My neck pup is attached with screws and springs into the wood of the body under the pickguard. It looks very clean and as you can remove and replace the pickguard on a Tele without removing the strings, height adjustment is ok.

8. richinva

richinva Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2010
    Rice, VA
    If you don't want to attach the pickup to the pickguard, then simply screw it to the body. No disrespect intended, but make sure they won't come out through the back. Also, a smaller diameter screw is used so that it will pass through the threaded holes in the pickup. You'll have to "locate" the pickup using the pickguard as a template, then move the pickguard out of the way without disturbing the pickup position, mark the holes, drill and screw.

Tubing or springs, your choice. Also, you'll need a pad between the pickup and the body.

Does that help?

No external adjustment wouldn't work for me, but each to his own.....

9. Rich is right, but I would use a small piece of softwood, a sort of a pedestal that will correspond to the entire length of the pickup with special emphasis on the area we use to mount and adjust these pickups.

Strongly recommend you not just take a small block of foam and put it in the center, then cinch down the 2 screws. This distorts the whole pickup and you will get uncontrolled squeal. I did something like this once, and Bill Lawrence heard about it and his disappointment that I gave so little thought to what I was doing was very palpable. Very embarrassed. :oops:

10. ChopSauce

ChopSauce TDPRI Member

Jun 1, 2013
    F-91
    Any pics, please?

Didn't the original Fender assembly features any varying pickup height screws?

If so any pics of the original mounting could be of the greatest help, there. I could not find any spare parts for it, but I'm pretty sure it is not that hard to reproduce.

I'd really appreciate not to drill my 5 holes pickguard, plus it supporting the pickup would certainly be an issue for enhanced warpage.

11. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit Tele-Holic

Sep 17, 2009
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    I, too, have just screwed the pups and springs directly into the pup cavity, leaving the pickguard off until I have restrung and adjusted the pup height. No extra stuff under the pup unless I get feedback, which I don't.

12. ChopSauce

ChopSauce TDPRI Member

Jun 1, 2013
    F-91
    You're damn right, aren't you?

That ought to be THE solution ...

There do not seem to be enough room under my pickups for (example given:) any threaded thin plate to bolt the pickup to, there is enough wood thickness under the pickups, plus my original pickup screws should perfectly suit the purpose (provided I can drill accurately enough.)

Thanks!

13. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity

stick a big wad of Blue Tac/Plasticine in the cavity.... set your Pu lightly on it... put/screw your guard back on.. and get the neck PU sitting straight and level and settle it into the blob ... squish it down a bit...

then take the guard off and the PU should stay in the exact spot.... then mark the screw pilot holes in the wood carefully...

take the mess out and you should have two spots to start your screws in the wood without the PU there ... find some screws/springs the right length to suit.... drill nice vertical pilot holes... without going through the back..;)

then put the PU in, wire it up, play it to get your PU height close.. put the guard back on and it should fit... :)

14. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Dec 19, 2011
    Merseyside UK
    The usual screw size is #3 x 1"

Attached Files:

15. richinva

richinva Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2010
    Rice, VA
    Enhanced warpage? Really?

16. ChopSauce

ChopSauce TDPRI Member

Jun 1, 2013
    F-91
    Ooops...

Wasn't warp the rationale for the 8 hole pattern?

I should have made it more obvious that I just could read it in a few places :oops:

That might be false, but if it is true, a 5 hole pickguard supporting the pickup shouldn't be great idea, right?

Anyway, thousand thanks to anyone!

I also found that

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(from http://diystrat.blogspot.fr/2011/09/adjusting-neck-pickup-on-fender.html)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.