Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Neck finish

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by bfloyd6969, Oct 18, 2011.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

This looks like a Warmoth neck to me.

I guess you could reverse the process I do and recontour an Allparts to look like a Warmoth. And the truss rod strip is fairly wide, unless my eye is fooling me, for an Allparts.

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Talking about putting "Tru Oil" on the rosewood board here:

Let me say this: I like to take an Allparts rosewood boarded neck and resand/reshape it (and I think JC may be right about there being something on the maple fretboard surface) as I see fit and apply some tinted oil based grainfiller (Bartley's supplies real low) then wipe it real thoroughly. Then two super thin coats of Minwax Tung Oil Finish. I mean thin, thin. Two because one is never gonna be even enough, or I would do just one. You're basically sealing this fugitive Grainfiller in place, until the guitar can be really played in.

If today's rosewood was darker and better quality (and Allparts TRO-FATs are actually fairly nice) this might not be needed. But maybe the #1 reason I refrain from using more rosewood boards? The pasty pale color of today's rosewood, that's the reason.

3. smokindav

smokindav TDPRI Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    bfloyd 6969, how did the neck finish turn out? I am thinking about buying a Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster Custom and putting an Allparts TMO-FAT neck on it. I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy the finished ($340) or unfinished ($180) neck and finishing myself.

4. JCBurke59

JCBurke59 Tele-Holic

Jan 7, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Boris,

You're right - back around posts 17 through 19 I showed both the TMO-FAT (BSB Tele body) and this one which is a Warmoth (vintage modern with a SRV back contour). Quite the eye for detail you've got there. They both have Tru-Oil as the finish, but the Warmoth has been worked to more of a gloss. If I ever find an Allparts neck with flame like this Warmoth, you can bet I'd grab it right away.

This same Warmoth neck is in post 74 with another Warmoth neck next to it (QS maple, 24 3/4" scale, boat carve - Tru-Oil on that one too). Also glossier than my TMO-FAT.

The TMO-FAT had the frets pulled, fingerboard sanded and then stain and Tru-Oil applied before the refret. This Warmoth neck had the finish done with the frets in place using a coffee filter to apply the Tru-Oil on the fingerboard side. The other Warmoth neck has an ebony fingerboard - so no finish between the frets on that one.

Recontour an Allparts neck to look like a Warmoth? - sorry, you lost me on that one.

Joe

5. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

Mar 8, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Musikraft puts a layer of shellac on their necks. Can you use the TruOil on top of that, or should it be removed and a different sealer used?

6. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ

Yes you can.

7. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

Mar 8, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks, Colt. I'm totally new to this stuff.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.