Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Neck finish

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by bfloyd6969, Oct 18, 2011.

1. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

My fav new cologne is "Nitro" by Reranch. Love this stuff. :D

Followed of course by a nice dose of Tru Oil moisturizer. :lol:

2. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

Mar 23, 2009
    New England
    So can anyone say definitively whether "unfinished" Allparts necks are sealed by the factory?

3. JCBurke59

JCBurke59 Tele-Holic

Jan 7, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    I did a TMO-FAT a couple of years ago and it had a sealer on the fingerboard only.

4. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

Mar 23, 2009
    New England
    Thanks - how could you tell? It seems a little weird that they would only seal the board?

5. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    Last time I bought a neck(2), it was Allparts, and both of them had a sealer on the entire neck, not just the fretboard. This was about 3-4 years ago.

I am guessing they seal the fretboard to keep moisture from getting in the wood where the frets are. You don't want it swelling with moisture around the frets.

You can tell when you finish sand. There will be a slight color change.

6. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

Mar 23, 2009
    New England
    Thanks Colt.

7. JCBurke59

JCBurke59 Tele-Holic

Jan 7, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    There was a very slight gloss on the fingerboard. I also was 'whiskering' the wood before using a water stain and the fingerboard didn't receive moisture the way the rest of the neck did.

Since the plan was to put in stainless frets, I removed the original frets, sanded off the sealer, did the finishing and sent it off for the fret job. Not the best scenario - too much work, time and money - but I got what I wanted out of it. Turned out to be a really great player, so no regrets.

8. TeleTim911

TeleTim911 Friend of Leo's

Sep 28, 2009
    Calera, Alabama
    Good thread, lots of good info. And thanks Shepherd, I'll go with Tru on mine.

9. nadzab

nadzab Friend of Leo's

Mar 23, 2009
    New England
    Good info, thanks.

10. mb571

mb571 Tele-Meister

I am on coat 8 of Tru-Oil on my Maple neck. It is fun, easy to apply and is looking great and is getting hard.
    It was not what I expected with something called oil. It is more varnish or lacquer like than oil.
    My question: Has anyone ever tried Tru-Oil on a body?

11. HOBBSTER01

HOBBSTER01 Friend of Leo's

Nov 23, 2007
    Ringgold, Ga.
    Tru-Oil is also available in aerosol but it's very hard to control the flow on a fretboard.
    At least that's my experience with it.

12. mb571

mb571 Tele-Meister

I just folded a piece of t-shirt cloth over a piece of veneer to apply Tru-Oil to my fretboard getting up close against the frets. The veneer is stiff enough to act as a spreader but thin enough to conform to the radius of the fretboard.

13. buddastrat

buddastrat Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2005
    Ive seen the tru oil finishes you guys talk about . Why not use a much thinner poly coat or nitro? Looks as good and much less work and thinner. I see posts about getting tru oil to look like a lacquer finish all the time. I just don't understand that. IT's such a thick finish. It looks like a goopy, 70's Fender finish to me.

Plenty ways to skin the cat, or for some, thick coat the cat. From what I can tell, some like the challenge and the extra work of trying to get that real glossy, thick look. To me, the point of an oil finish was always one n' done. Ala Ernie Ball. So the necks will feel natural, and show dirt and wear and tear. Just seal the wood, but not build up for the quarter in the bar look.

14. JCBurke59

JCBurke59 Tele-Holic

Jan 7, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Really? I like to bring it up to more of a gloss than some of the others folks here, but 'thick' it definitely is not.

Are you sure these thicker than poly or nitro finishes you've seen were actually Tru-Oil?
    The common techniques for application don't really lend themselves to that much 'build' of the finish.

Tru-Oil can be made to resemble lacquer in appearance (kind of), but is far more durable. I also prefer the feel. Lacquer just feels too sticky to me - I realize this isn't true for everyone and falls in the 'personal preference' category.

I'm not suggesting that this is the perfect neck finish for everyone, but my personal experience just doesn't line up with the characteristics you've detailed in your post.

These necks are finished with Tru-Oil. Glossy?, sure. Thick and 'goopy'?, no way...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011

15. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    HUH?

16. buddastrat

buddastrat Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2005
    Yes, that's way exactly what I'm talking about. They look nice for what you were going for and you did a great job for that shiny/deep gloss. I don't want my necks to look like glass or furniture. Too much gloss and goopy feel for me. I've used tru oil since the late 80's and done a few necks to get that look, and when I'm done, I like the look but not the feel. To get that much gloss, it's really a lot of varnish to me. It's very glassy and with my sweaty mits, it'd be like new Nike's on a gym floor. Squeek...squeek

This is more my idea of using oil for a nice finish. Dry for no friction and no build up from a bunch of coats.
    [​IMG]

17. buddastrat

buddastrat Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2005
    SEE ABOVE.

18. JCBurke59

JCBurke59 Tele-Holic

Jan 7, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    That's a great looking neck, and I 'get' what you're saying about the whole feel thing. Honestly, I just wonder if what you've described as a Tru-Oil'ed neck really had that finish on it. The idea that a Tru-Oil finish (even one that is glossy) resembles or is worse than a lacquer (sticky for some) or 'thick' poly finish just doesn't compute for me. In my experience, it is a -very- thin finish that feels extremely 'dry' and fast.

BTW - Tru-Oil is a varnish of sorts, not a penetrating oil. So your point is well taken that it differs from other finishing oils in that respect.

The important thing here is that you found something that you like.

19. buddastrat

buddastrat Tele-Meister

Apr 22, 2005
    It's the necks that I've finished with tru oil. I know to get that look above, that's too much/thick for ME.

20. Hellbilly Mike

Hellbilly Mike Tele-Meister

May 24, 2009
    Colorado Springs, Colorad
    Thanks everyone, this thread has been very informative, and helpful.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.