Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

neck fear

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by guitarmoron, Sep 9, 2017.

1. guitarmoron

guitarmoron TDPRI Member

Jun 9, 2014
    arkansas
    I want to get a Tele-type body (new or used) & a Strat style neck (new or used) each with predrilled holes. so this is my fear, I bolt them together and they are crooked, left/right as the guitar lays flat. Is this really a big possibility? or am I overthinking it?

thanks forum

2. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    When it comes to layout errors, everything that you can imagine is possible. There's a standard layout, but somebody could have messed up.

How likely is it? Not very, but it doesn't matter. The parts you buy will be right or wrong, and probability won't change that.

If it was my project, I'd be prepared to fill and redrill the neck holes.

Sounds like a good project. The small headstock Stat neck is a good look on a Tele body.

hemingway likes this.

3. S00NERMAN

S00NERMAN Tele-Meister

Jan 7, 2016
    Pratt,KS
    If you go with parts from the same manufacturer you should have no problem. If not, who knows? I've built several partscasters using all Warmoth parts and everything has always lined up perfectly.

kingofdogs1950 likes this.

4. warrent

warrent Tele-Meister

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto

5. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

Dec 24, 2015
    Birmingham, AL
    You could always use Hipshot tuners with their UMP plate. They will be straight regardless of the mounting holes. Or, just fill and redrill.

6. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

People put the curved Strat heel in a Tele 'a lot' and it can work, may need longer bridge-saddle screws to set intonation.

(Pssst ... extra drill holes in the neck heel won't hurt anything, even if you don't fill the original holes. The tricky part is put a drill stop so you don't drill through the fingerboard by accident. Some use tape wrapped around the drill bit. I use a small block of wood/dowel I drill through first and then through the body and neck, the block creating a positive stop.)

Alignment side to side you get right by lightly screwing the neck down, putting the E and e strings on with enough tension to keep them in place. Then tilt the neck so the strings are centered as you tighten the neck to body screws down.

7. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2012
    england
    Some tele bodies have a strat type neck pockets can't remember what the actual name year is but this fella plays one

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.