Neck cutting out. Bad switch or shoddy soldering?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by ElectricKaibutsu, May 24, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ElectricKaibutsu

ElectricKaibutsu TDPRI Member

Hi everyone,

I bought a used Squier CV 50's BSB. I've been slowly doing work on it so it has spent most of the last year in pieces. I finally put it all back together with a new P90 in the neck. Now I'm having an issue where the neck will cut out when the switch is in the neck position. If I fiddle with the switch and kind of wiggle it the neck will come back on. The bridge and middle position are fine. I can't remember if I was having issues with the neck position before.

My question is, does this automatically mean that the switch is going bad? Or could it be my amateur soldering job? I figure if it was my soldering then wiggling the switch wouldn't cause it to come back on.

2. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

If it sat for a long time, the switch probably needs a good shot of contact cleaner.

My dad was a jazz player, never used the bridge pickups, kept the tone controls rolled all the way down and never exercised any of it. I inherited his collection and am in the process of getting all of that taken apart and cleaned up because the buildup of oxidized crud over time prevents some of it from working.

3. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

Yeah, could be oxidation. Since you have to open it up anyway, post a few pictures of the switch so we can look at the soldering also. Like ElectricK said above, may just need a shot of contact cleaner.

4. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

check to make sure that the switch posts are not contacting the shielding in the control cavity -- you might be shorting to ground, and wiggling the switch is making/breaking that contact

5. ElectricKaibutsu

ElectricKaibutsu TDPRI Member

Thanks everyone. I think I got it. The P90 wire is one of those single wire ones where the ground is a metal sleeve around the outside. It looks like it was touching the switch in a place it shouldn't have been. I used some electrical tape and also tucked it into a different location. It doesn't seem to be cutting out any more.

6. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Good deal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.