Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Neck carving on a 1st build...need varying opinions

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by EssQae, Jun 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. EssQae

EssQae TDPRI Member

May 27, 2017
    Cincinnati
    So I'm about to start ordering parts and materials in the next week or so. My only dilemma is the neck. Carving one on the first build is kinda daunting but I know the reward will be worth it...if it works. I know I'm getting a pre-radiused, pre-slotted fret board this time around, I'm just hung up about the neck (buhdump psssshh). So I need opinions, and opinions on well priced premade necks. Thanks!

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Friend of Leo's

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    That's pretty easy: there's a perfect neck in there, just sand away everything that isn't it.
    Not to be flip, but that really is the drill unless you have a set of neck back templates that you like.
    Sand and feel, sand and feel. ..

EssQae likes this.
  3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    If you are talking tele neck... you need a piece of wood larger than the dimensions of a neck. You need to surface it and you need to process it. First you need to square it up some. Then let it alone for a bit and see if it moves, and re-square as necessary the fretboard glue surface. Once that is done you rout the truss rod slot. If you use a stewmac hotrod,that is just one straight slot a bit wider than 3/16. The rest of the neck is thinning the peghead, adding your fretboard. and carving the neck. This may be of some use in that regard.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/neck-carving-by-drawing-and-creating-facets-on-the-wood.317748/

Read as many build threads that include necks as you can. There are plenty of ways to tackle it...

SweetClyde99, DrASATele and EssQae like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. mudimba

mudimba Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

May 19, 2015
    California
    I was really terrified of building a neck before I did it. I ended up being pleasantly surprised at how easy it is. Granted, I'm still a long way from perfect, but if you study up beforehand you can most likely end up with something playable.

The facet method takes out most of the guesswork, so if you are just methodical and stay true to the recipe it will turn out OK.

It is also, in my opinion, the most rewarding part of a build. I'd say if you think you might stick with this hobby, might as well jump in now.

EssQae likes this.
  6. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Meister

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I can sympathise with the OP. I'm VERY new to this game, and got 4 builds currently on the go. All of them have pre made necks of varying quality. The nightmares of just working them into the whole equation has been terrifying enough - let alone building one totally from scratch. :eek:

But I am learning and picking up loads of tips and ideas from in here, and already have plans afoot of constructing my first neck(s). It will just be a matter of time before (and when) I take the plunge! ;)

EssQae likes this.
  7. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2012
    State College PA
    Sounds like u r considering a 2-piece neck. That decision alone avoids many of stumbling blocks that trip up beginners & vets alike - with a 1-piece neck.
    I think you'll find carving the back is easier than it looks, provided you have a few essential tools and some patience. Fretwork, on the other hand, can be a handful of "whoops!?!" and a mouthful of cussin' . (w/ apologies to Cousin Joe Pleasant's "Beggin' Woman")

EssQae likes this.
  8. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    I've posted this link many times and it's how I learned to make a neck along with Marty's faceting thread.

EssQae and koolaide like this.
  9. Ashentep

Ashentep TDPRI Member Ad Free Member

Mar 10, 2016
    Va
    The video Ricky posted has all you needed to know...well...the series has all you need to know for any fender style guitar/bass. I was pretty nervous about carving the neck, too, on my first one. It quickly became apparent that I love to carve. Now the neck carving is my absolute favorite part of a build. I look forward to carving the neck during the stages beforehand, and as soon as its over, I find myself planning my next one as the fun part is over.

I'm no veteran by any means, but I've completed 5 necks so far and have 3 new builds on my bench in various stages now. The key is to learn from your mistakes and get better every time.

Steve Holt and EssQae like this.
  10. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Meister

Oct 11, 2009
    south carolina
    +1 exactly

11. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    So, so, so many ways to skin that cat. No fear needed. As Marty said, challenge build threads, they often get straight to the point because of the time crunch. I think we all were some what daunted by the idea of a neck build but it's not that bad.
    You can do a 2X4 for your first, or go grab some maple from a big box store and try that if you want to get a sense of a typical neck build. Point is you have to try to know.
    I started with by building a jig for routing truss rods straight and curved but learned that a good fence and table can do the job just as well if not more accurately, for me anyway.
    Speaking of routers there's a guy who sell's neck & fret board profile bits that are pretty good on amazon, might be worth a try if you're comfortable with a router.

12. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    I think you'll be surprised how it does work. I've built lots of necks and just kind of do it by feel. They all feel a it different but they all work well. Once I built a couple, I've never understood how people get so hung up on neck thickness, shape etc.

DrASATele likes this.
  13. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Exactly. Every time I start a new build I have the person try out my different guitars and they all gravitate to the Warmoth neck I have on a Strat. It's thinner and comfortable. I can't totally duplicate it but I come close. As mentioned it's a feel thing and my favorite part of a build. Try it and you'll be hooked.

DrASATele likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.