Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Neck Angle / Bridge Issue?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by JustPlay, Mar 24, 2013.

1. JustPlay

JustPlay Tele-Meister

For those of you that have seen my previous posts - of the "BenCaster" Build - you will already know that I can be a little obsessive. OK, I can be very obsessive! But hey, it's served me well over the years (can't say the same for my family, however) :lol:.

Anyway, I yet another question. In order to get proper (basically Fender spec) height on my strings I had to release the tension on my neck and then raise the saddles quite a bit (please see pics).

[​IMG]

The saddles have M3 .5 screws, some of which are set quite deep now. Is that going to cause any problems down the road? I'm thinking about tapping them out so I can use longer 6/32 stainless screws. Is that reasonable, or am I going about this the wrong way?

The action is good now, and it's fairly even down the neck. The neck pocket has a tight fit going. I want to make sure it's done right, but I also don't want to screw up what I already have (just speaking theoretically here, as I've never actually done that myself - ha!) So, what do you guys think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I welcome your comments -- give it to me straight -- but, hey, I am a "sensitive guy" :eek: If you do think I need to adj. the neck angle / pocket, please pass along your advice on how to best do that.

Thanks (as always)!
    Will

2. metecem

metecem Tele-Afflicted

Is the neck actually straight? Maybe it's the angle of the pictures but I see some bow.

3. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    Is the neck pocket 5/8" deep?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. JustPlay

JustPlay Tele-Meister

Glen:

Yes, it's exactly that depth - evenly. Ideas?

Will

6. JustPlay

JustPlay Tele-Meister

I'm pretty sure it's the angle of the guitar sitting [headstock tipped] up... There's ever so slight of a bow, however. Ideas?

7. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Looks like you could rout the neck pocket down another .125 from here. The total height of the wood part of the neck should be 1" thick with a neck rout of .625. It looks thicker than that to me.

8. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    That is what my eye is telling me also.

9. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Feb 4, 2009
    Phx, AZ
    Ditto. Something looks off and if the pocket is good the neck must be a bit too thick.

10. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2009
    Reading, Massachusetts
    Me three, FWIW. What is the fretboard radius? If it's a super-flat radius, that could be throwing off my perception.

11. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity

I feel this might be best filed under the "ain't broke, don't fix it" category.

12. JustPlay

JustPlay Tele-Meister

Gentlemen:

Thank you each for your replies. I have 15/16th" of neck above the neck pocket rout. Suggestions, please....

Will

13. JustPlay

JustPlay Tele-Meister

Right now everything is very clean & tight. I can always tap the saddles and add slightly longer screws... Although (for all I know) the way the are now may never pose a problem. I am open to suggestions on this one.

PS - the radius is 9.5"

14. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    That can't be right. A neck is usually about 1.010" thick. The neck pocket is 5/8" which should leave about 0.385" above the body.

15. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Like I said above, you need to remove wood from the neck pocket so that you have the proper amount of height above the body. That would involve getting a stew mac or similar 1/2" tall pattern bit, and a large base on a router to keep it stable. You could put some wood around the body to support the router to keep it from tipping. Another option is to get another neck that is the right size. Another option would be to have somebody turn larger diameter saddles on a lathe.

16. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
  17. JustPlay

JustPlay Tele-Meister

Most likely the issue is with me... What exact measurement should I be taking, please?

OK, I think I now get it...(duh) - I have about 11/32" showing above the body...

18. guitarbuilder

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Bottom of heel wood to highest point of fretboard. Should be about 1" or so.

19. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Aug 20, 2011
    Canada
    There are some measurements in this small pic, hope you can see them.

Attached Files:

20. JustPlay

JustPlay Tele-Meister

Looks like about 31/32" to me... does that make sense?

21. JustPlay

JustPlay Tele-Meister

What about my idea of tapping out the M3 - .50 length screws that are currently in place, and using longer 6/32 screws. I say that because I can't find a source for M3 screws longer than .50 - but I can with going to 6/32's.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.