Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Neck and bridge pickup route question...

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by greysun, Sep 13, 2018.

1. greysun

greysun TDPRI Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Chicago
    Hey everyone! I have a potential measurement problem and need some advice...

I'm moving along on my telecaster build. So far, I've bought a new Player Series Tele, got a whole jazzmaster mastery system (bridge, vibrato, plate), new pickups from sir Novak, and adjusted the wiring to something more custom (noiseless pups, stereo output and a varitone-style 3way tone switch).

To do all of this, I created a template in Illustrator based on CAD drawings I found online and tracings of the actual routes on my guitar. That part i'm fairly confident about.

Using a jazzmaster 2 post bridge, the measurement from the neck pocket to the center of the posts should be 7.125" (or 7.113" depending, but that difference is paper thin thickness that I'm not worrying about). The mastery plate that holds the bridge pup and sits over the post holes obviously has the pickup mounted to it.

In order for me to achieve the right neck pocket to bridge post measurement and have that plate fit properly over the bridge pup route, I'll have to re-route the bridge to be about 1/16" closer to the neck pocket. Doesn't seem like much, but...

I could assume that since the stock tele bridge is pretty flexible to intonate, and since the guitars are setup to allow for multiple setups and probably CNC'd, that I can simply adjust the route without issue and not worry about it. I could also assume that any secondhand neck I'd buy would be set up the same as the one that came with the guitar, so intonation and setup should also be fine... But assumptions get me into trouble and cost me lots of money. ;-)

Does anyone see any issue with this? Is there another measurement I can use, or have I done all my homework?

As always, thanks in advance! Sorry for the long post this morning. ;-)

2. Solaris moon

Solaris moon Tele-Meister

Nov 12, 2017
    Fort Wayne
    I think that you're on your own here. If you could provide pictures I think that might encourage others to jump into the fray and help out here.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.