Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Neck Advice

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by chbenny, Feb 11, 2017.

1. chbenny

chbenny TDPRI Member

Jan 30, 2017
    Tennessee
    It is fairly humid here right now and it doesn't look like it will clear up for a few more days. While I wait, I thought I would ask a few questions regarding 2 guitar necks.

• Maple Neck with a skunk stripe and a Rosewood fingerboard.
      • I want an "aged / amber" look on the entire neck.
        • What are the best ways to prep this neck?

• What are the pros and cons for both tinted (Colortone) lacquer as well as dye / stain diluted and applied straight to the neck?

• I see a number of people suggest I seal the skunk stripe before I do much to the neck.
          • Is CA glue my best choice?
        • I do have a waterslide.
          • When should I apply it? Before or after staining?
          • What are the best steps to take to make the edges "disappear"?
    • Solid Maple neck.
      • I want an "aged / amber" look on the entire neck.
        • I'll see above for prep answers.

• People who go with stain - direct to the wood, when they want to change it, do they typically just buy or make another neck? I understand that I can sand it back but is this why some choose lacquer over direct dye/stain - so they don't really have to sand back past the first layer of finish?

• I'll see above for skunk stripe answers.

• Same question as above regarding the waterslide.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.