Nearly just had a heart attack!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by WetBandit, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

As a parent of a special needs child, I say thank you for being on the lookout like that and preventing injury or death. The college-age "adults" are not really doing their jobs in this case. They may not have the experience or otherwise be aware of how quickly things can go wrong. Hopefully they will learn from this. I believe that, yes, it would be appropriate to inform Parks & Rec about the episode. Not so much to get somebody in trouble or fired, but to help insure that better care is taken in the future.

2. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Honestly not sure... there were 3 "supervisors" and 12 children all with various degrees of functionality... I think it was an issue of inexperience combined with a poor "adult/child" ratio.

You are welcome, I would do it for anyone... (well, almost lol)

verb boten, telemnemonics and Alex W like this.
  3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Right.

I appreciate you fleshing out the details of the event, so we can better imagine being there.

But in the end, this has next to nothing to do with the special needs of the children. It really doesn't matter why the child was in the wrong place. Your response is going to be the same. Kids with way high aptitude do unsafe things also (I sure did). One acts first and without consulting "factors". The powerful machinery of the bowling alley doesn't care what the characteristics of the child are.

WetBandit likes this.
  4. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

"You get what you pay for" those P&R workers were probably hourly workers (summer staff), what more do you expect?

5. Alex W

Alex W Friend of Leo's

In defense of the younger generation, I would like to chime in and say that my wife and I have found superb babysitters for our autistic son by inquiring among college students who aspire to be special education teachers. Such students have the demeanor, the interest, and the nurturing qualities that are needed, and additionally are generally all-around wonderful people. Often they have a sibling with some form of mental or physical disability, further adding to their empathy. They end up being sort of like members of the family. The only downside is that they eventually reach graduation and go on their way to jobs in other cities etc.

Greggorios and Paul in Colorado like this.
  6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

This is one of the side effects of this so called "full employment" we're in right now. Extremely hard in some cases to find all employees who have the Fear of God in them. Fire some and they find another position later the same day. You can rent their body but not their heart or their full attention.

Greggorios and WetBandit like this.
  7. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

I agree. Make the call. Higher ups need to know the situation and its possible outcome
    I’m glad everyone was safe

Greggorios likes this.
  8. WetBandit

Basic humanity.... that would keep one aware enough to look out for the safety if a child regardless of financial gain.

" I dont get paid enough to care"

doesn't really apply in the case of children, in a life threatening situation.

That's inhumane imo...

But I know what you are saying...

9. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

If you present it as a "safety for all users" scenario, you should get a positive reaction.

Greggorios likes this.
  10. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Meister

Yeah, the adult supervisor had her attention diverted for a considerable amount of time to let the little girl get into that situation, attention that should be on her "ward" constantly. Somethings gotta change.

WetBandit likes this.
  11. WetBandit

Well, today was round 2 of this group and the incident occurred yet agian with the same child. Fortunately I was better prepared this time round and I was a bit faster acting.

Still doesn't change the fact the kids are obviously inadequately supervised.

I'm afraid from this point on the child and the counselor will no longer be permitted to attend there bowling outings, at least not at my place.

It's just a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt and it's not gonna be here under my roof.

verb boten likes this.
  12. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Meister

There are adults not qualified to watch children, i can't imagine how those "adults" were chosen. It reminds me of when my dad spent a week in Intensive Care after his stroke. Lots of rules for this area of the hospital, which my neice with 3 small children completely ignored: she always went over the limit of visitors when she came in with her brood and just turned them loose. They were finally asked to leave when 2 of her kids, about 4 and five, were chasing each other in a hallway and ran into a nurse carrying a tray of supplies, which she almost dropped. Some people just don't think.

13. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Meister

Deleted​

14. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Sadly, it really must be this way. The fact you are aware of this now puts the onus on you and not on the "adult" supervision.
    That child gets hurt you will also be in court for damages but the child now looses in all this because she will not be able to participate with her peers which goes against the whole idea of inclusion that these programs strive for.

15. BrazHog

BrazHog TDPRI Member

What a horrible thing to happen to one. Make the call.

16. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm trying to process why special needs children are under the auspices of Parks and Recreation. There must be another agency involved, or there should be. I'm guessing the supervisors had received no training for this situration.

17. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Meister

I'm wondering about the kids' parents and how they were convinced to release custody of their kids to those adults? My daughter has an autistic son, my grandson, now 14 YO and at that age, she would barely let him out of her sight, even hesitating to let him go with family members. Yeah, what were those parents thinking?

18. WetBandit

The program is through Parks and Rec but also part of Special Olympics....

The folks who oversee Special Olympics (that we host every year) do much more with far less... they wrangle over 400 "kids" with a staff of less than 50 without incident every single year.

These "supervisors" could not keep a handle on 8 kids and there were 4 of them today.

Then one of them tried to have a fist fight with me while I was standing there telling his boss what had occured.

It was a very bizarre experience... but its over now.

You do not need a masters degree to save a life folks... but having one apparently let's you side step or gloss over any sort of culpability.

verb boten likes this.
  19. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Make the call!

349B5EFF-A344-46FC-8848-D1CB2E8FC191.jpeg

Chunkocaster likes this.
  20. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like the supervisors where too busy chatting and having a good time.
    I don't get how you could miss something like a kid walking down the lane let alone making it to the end and sitting there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.