Nearly just had a heart attack!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by WetBandit, Jun 12, 2019.

1. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

So, here I am at work this morning with a small 6 lane "coffee league" bowling.

On the left side of the house we have 2 lanes of disabled children with parks and rec... bowling as well.

Usually we book no groups during a league at all! But one of our guys did it for some unknown reason...

So, the first alarming thing is that all of the "adults" are no older than 20yrs old themselves...

So, one little girl probably around 7 or 8yrs old with down syndrome runs about 45ft down the lane and falls before one of the "adults" runs out to retrieve them.

I walked down and politely informed them of the dangers of crossing the "foul line" and that if it becomes a problem I will have to shut the lanes down.

So about 5 minutes goes by, and one of my ladys in the league who I was helping let's out a "OMG!"

I look up from the computer screen where I was making a score correction for the league and there sits the little girl about 2ft from the pins!!! Sitting down Indian style!

I immediately turn and hit my blackout switch.... wich in turn shut the league down (they are pissed) but it saved the little girl from potentially being killed by the machine as the sweep had already started down, as I cut the power.

I run down the lane as the "adult" is getting her off the pin deck... and I tell her that they are going to give me a heart attack!

She says they are going to hold her until it's time to leave.
    (Really wanted to tell them its already time to leave)

My blood pressure went so high I thought I was gonna pass out...

The machine would have definitely killed that girl, that I'm 100% positive of, considering the way she was positioned and cycle the machine was on.

A second longer and it would have been a VERY bad day.

We are not a daycare service!

Blows my mind; that three 20 or younger college kids get turned loose with a group of disabled kids, when a few of them need constant 1 on 1 attention/care!

Really considering calling the director of Parks and Rec and having a conversation about who they let take kids out.

What would you have done?

2. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted

Sounds like a very dangerous situation that needs to be addressed.
    I would make that call!

Obsessed, Jim622, perttime and 8 others like this.
  3. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

I would have asked them to leave because it's obvious they didn't have control of the kids and that's too dangerous.

"Now I almost had a heart attack, looking in my rear view mirror,
    I saw myself the next car back, looking in the rear view mirror,
    about to have a heart attack, I said,
    damn this traffic jam, how I hate to be late, it hurts my motor to go so slow.
    Damn this traffic jam, time I get home my supper'll be cold, damn this traffic jam.

4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

That's not good. Make the call!

5. GibbyTwin

GibbyTwin Tele-Meister

somewhere between Asbury Park and Atlantic City
    I agree with those that say 'make the call'. Thank heavens for the lady who spotted the little girl and reacted and for your quick thinking to shut down the machinery. A disaster had been averted.

Greggorios and Torren61 like this.
  6. WetBandit

I dont wanna ruin this young girls job, but at the same time I don't want anyone getting hurt because of her inexperience or negligence... seems like a good kid, but shouldn't be in a leadership role at this point imo.

Maybe that's exactly what I will tell the director?

7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Just explain exactly what happened without making judgements and that you are concerned that they don't seem to realize the potential danger.

Steve 78, verb boten, Alamo and 2 others like this.
  8. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

There are two likely outcomes if you make the call:

1) Thank you, we are sorry. We'll look into it and won't be bothering you again.

2) People with disabilities have rights and you should be bending backwards to accomodate them and I will talk pursue possible legal action and social media charater assasination due to you lack of humanity- how dare you limit the experiences that these underpriveleged people deserve.

Good Luck!

And, yes, I would make the call, just be sure you emphasize your concern with the safety of those present with disabilities and not any discomfort or inconvenience that you or other patrons may have incurred by the situation.

verb boten likes this.
  9. WetBandit

I'm not concerned with any potential backlash.. we are heavily involved and accommodating to the handicapped community. I have a very good relationship with the director of parks and rec and Special Olympics... but I dont want to be "that guy"...

verb boten and 8barlouie like this.
  10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

+1. I would argue you ARE on the side of the people with disabilities, because they are not being properly looked after and one girl has already been in a dangerous situation. That girl could have been killed!

11. WetBandit

Yea that's the scariest thing about it... if it happened here, it may happen elswhere.

Imagine a pool party! Terrifying!

But I will have no danger of backlash whatsoever, just do not want to damn the girl over the group... but imo she doesn't really need to be in that position with that much responsibility, she isn't ready for that imo.

12. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

Your Stupor Bowl needs sum fixin’,
    good on you to take initiative!
    My younger sister specialized with those kind of adults for many decades...what a potentially disastrous scenario!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  13. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

YOUCH.

I was a social worker for 11 years, in two cities/with two organizations. Took clients ("retarded" and autistic adults) on picnics, field trips, to wrestling shows, city festivals, minor league baseball games, etc. We had all kinds of protocols in place to match risk level with client capacity/habits. If a client was a proven wanderer, for example, the picnic location had to be one with limited room to roam, and we had to have additional counselors there to ensure enough eyes were on said client, etc.

I don't know your state/locality, but doubtless protocols exist, codifying common sense. At the very least, yeah, contact not only Parks & Rec but the agency that was letting pretty damn careless custodians take kids to a relatively dangerous place with obviously inadequate supervision. This IS is a disaster in the making. The the people setting policy, assigning personnel, authorizing outings, etc., need to be aware of it ASAP!

And bravo for doing the quick, right thing there. MUCHO bravo!

WetBandit likes this.
  14. bricksnbeatles

bricksnbeatles Tele-Afflicted

I think the real problem is that there is a group of kids with only three people supervising, regardless of age. In lots of schools, special needs kids are between 3:2 and 1:1 with aides— leaving only three people responsible for a full group is the issue.

Flakey, Wallo Tweed and WetBandit like this.
  15. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I love bowling alleys.

Keep ‘em safe !

That little girl just wanted to see what all that stuff was down there (and have her own space) and the adults just wanted to do anything but their job...

verb boten and WetBandit like this.
  16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

What community will be the first to ban bowling alleys.......

on the assumption that they're too dangerous for the general public?

Once the alleys are closed, some of the citizenry will have much more time to grow bored and testy and they'll be at liberty to rob and shoot one another.

Obsessed and noah330 like this.
  17. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Make the call. No way should that girl have gotten all the way down the lane sitting in front of the pinsetter before someone realized what was going on. Heck, with that level of supervision, it’s a wonder they even got out of the parking lot without incident.

WetBandit likes this.
  18. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

You made the right call. You'll be making the right call when you contact the managers of the group taking care of those disabled children. What we sometimes fail to consider is that college kids are really just college kids. They're on the cusp of adulthood but no matter what they think, they're not there yet. The college kids need supervision as well. I'm pretty certain that the situation described here could have been averted by the presence of one supervising adult reminding the college kids of their responsibilities and redirecting them when necessary. In 1970 I was driving disabled adults around and I can assure you that as well intentioned as I was, I learned more from good managers than I ever let on. I wish I'd thanked them. I will now. Thank you Mr. S. for the redirection when I needed it.

WetBandit likes this.
  19. WetBandit

I've informed the administrators over the group.

They immediately thanked me for informing them of the incident, and reassured me that the situation would be taken care of, and that next weeks group will have much better supervision.

As for what will become of the group leader, I have no idea (not my call to make)

I did inform them that I would refuse them service and access to the lanes, if me or my staff feel there isn't adequate supervision.

They seemed understanding.

perttime, src9000, Mike SS and 5 others like this.
  20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Parks and recreational drug use?
    Legal equals good, right?
    Or were they all glued to smart phones?
    Hard to grok how multiple childcare supervisors failed to catch a runaway kid multiple times.

Chunkocaster and Flakey like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.