Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Near misses and suggestive acronyms.

Discussion in 'Forum Problems & Issues' started by dsutton24, Nov 18, 2018.

1. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    I wish you'd consider moderating acronyms like WTF, and the horrible OMFG. The meanings of these things are well known, but somehow they're acceptable, but their parent phrases aren't.

65 Champ Amp and TeleTucson like this.
  2. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    They really don’t add anything to a conversation.

JL_LI likes this.
  3. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    MuddyDitch likes this.
  4. Deeve

Deeve Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 7, 2009
    Ballard
    Trade them in on HNGD instead

5. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Campaigning for more censorship... for acronyms, no less? What’s next, banning single letters? D!

soulman969, 7171551, jdto and 5 others like this.
  6. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Life is much easier when you adapt to your surroundings rather than trying to mold the rest of the world to fit your ideals and sensibilities.

soulman969, 7171551, jdto and 10 others like this.
  7. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2016
    Northern Alabama
    Is this what happens when folks from Strat Talk are invited to join? Yes we all tend to get along but can we avoid being PC?

By the way I would be quite shocked if you found any comments by me where I have used the acronyms or vulgar language. I just don’t write that way.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    7171551, Jim622 and RLee77 like this.
  8. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Don't worry, folks, I know my suggestion won't be taken seriously by anyone.

Funny how acceptance always means accepting a coarsening of behavior. It's amusing to me how many of my brothers here can't make a point without being insulting. It's just the internet, I don't expect much. Flame on, I don't care.

65 Champ Amp, Whiskerz and JL_LI like this.
  9. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Yep!

dan1952 likes this.
  10. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Jun 24, 2004
    Anderson, IN
    And where do you intend to draw the line? Horse feathers? Hockey puck? Darn it? The heck with it? Oh, I don't give a flip, anyway...

nojazzhere and RLee77 like this.
  11. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    Just my sad commentary again. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. Here's the way I see it. Acronyms in common usage are a way of speeding up typing, especially useful when Twitter had a 140 character limit and also for people who are just plain lazy. Profanity is part of the language but it loses its effect and impact when used casually. IMO (lazy acronym) there's nothing I've seen on the forum that requires profanity for emphasis, although I'll admit to the occasional "damm". There's no real need for "WTF". What! covers it completely. Two more characters but so what! I think most of us are pretty clean here. We shower at least occasionally and throw dirty clothes in the wash. I'll take the admonishment and omit the "damm"s and words thinly disguised with special characters... unless in my ignorance I just cannot find another way to make the point. Anyone out there, please feel free to report me to the thought police if I run afoul of my best intentions.

kingofdogs1950 likes this.
  12. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Just think of wtf as “what the frack!”
    Problem solved. Technically, wtf is not swearing. No more than “what the hay!” is.

13. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    "Why The Freakiness!"

14. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Can I still say "fer cryin in a bucket"?

nojazzhere and RLee77 like this.
  15. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    How about "OFTLO"?

"Oh For The Love Of..."

16. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    Also, cussing in symbols ("#&%#!!") is specifically against the rules, but happens a lot. I don't mind the intent much but it often makes the sentence hard to read and understand.

17. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I don't think I can live without "crimenitly"...

18. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Holic

I will not call for more censorship. Being able to filter that stuff out is a necessary skill these days. Besides, I aint perfect.

But the OP makes a great point. Acceptance and tolerance invariably means a one way street toward the LCD.

jondanger likes this.
  19. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    There is a beautiful and terrible symmetry that “lowest common denominator” and “liquid crystal display” use the same acronym.

I’m more in favor of self control than censorship, but if we can’t have one . . .

JuneauMike, dan1952 and 65 Champ Amp like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.