Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NDG arrives and you find this........

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Larry K. Williams, Oct 3, 2017.

1. kmcanney

kmcanney Tele-Meister

Jul 16, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Following up on the black-nail-polish approach: if you warm the nail polish in a bowl of water first, it’ll flow into the low spots better and prevent leaving high blobs.

2. connuchar

connuchar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2006
    phx az
    Larry nice guitfiddle ,if it feels right ,plays well, sounds real good ,eye'd keep it. if the blemish bothers you others have talked about how to fix it easily,but you must consider that a blind man would be happy to see it. [one of my personally rigid criteria specs ]

LiteAsh likes this.

3. Veltek

Veltek Tele-Meister

Sep 17, 2016
    Blues country
    I agree with Crobs. They need to give you a B-Stock price on this guitar.

4. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 26, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Difficult to call. I'd be wanting to keep the guitar if it plays well but I tend to obsess about dents and dings on new stuff.

5. Richie-string

Richie-string Tele-Meister

Like the guys above said if you like the guitar it's probably not a bad enough blemish to send it back for. Also it's on the back so you could probably have search round utube and get some videos of people who have tried many different fixes and see how they worked. As the mark is on the back of the guitar it's probably worth having a go at the repair, even if it's not perfect no one will see it.

6. 10thoufirst

10thoufirst Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Nov 16, 2013
    England
    Like most of the others I suggest keeping it and going for discount. It's worth doing that, I bought 4 shop soiled AVs, new but marked, at good discounts. And that's not much of a mark anyway is it?

7. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    StewMac has a video showing Dan Erlewine doing a finish touch-up with CA.

8. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Ask another guitar shop what they'd buy the guitar for in its current state (i.e. new but slightly damaged, as that's probably the amount by which it's dropped as a result) and then negotiate as near to the difference between what you paid and the current resale value as possible. If you can reduce the obvious mark to your satisfaction afterwards, that's a bonus.

9. Larry K. Williams

Larry K. Williams Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Athens, GA
    Well, I just got off the phone with Sweetwater. They have 4 more of these coming in later in the month. They have offered to get those in, photo them, weigh them, RESERVE them, and contact me. I will get to take a look at them and decide if I want to exchange or refund at that time. I can keep this one until that time.

I can live with that - for now. It will give me time to get to know this model.

waymore, Crobbins and Obsessed like this.

10. Bruxist

Bruxist Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    +1

Crobbins likes this.

11. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

+2.

And I wouldn't bother retouching it. A great guitar that gets played a lot will soon get some more. Just play, don't worry. ;)

12. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    If you like everything else about it, keep it. Play it. love it.

Imagine you trade it in for a flawless one you love less and it gets a ding first gig.

13. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    It's a tele not a Strandivarious,get the discount and than play it until it gets even more scars.

14. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Well, that is pretty cool of Sweetwater. This gives you time to see if you bond with this one.

15. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Jun 16, 2009
    austin texas
    Teles look better with dings.If she is a great player then keep her and put some miles of love on her.Ask for a discount and all is good.

16. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    If it's a "Mojo Hand" guitar, keep it...as someone else noted, you might get a replacement that isn't as magical. On the other hand if it's merely an OK guitar it's a good "excuse" to send it back for another one, especially since you can see pictures and weight specs beforehand.

17. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Curious if they offered a you a discount on that one? I deal with SW, never had an issue, just wanted to know how they handle things. IMO they should not wait until you ask.

18. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Also, if you return that guitar it will be resold as a demo which normally gets marked down quite significantly. Seems in their best interest to deal now.

19. Larry K. Williams

Mar 17, 2003
    Athens, GA
    Well, this one would qualify as a keeper after a truss rod adj. The neck shape is wonderful. Put down my R9 and pick this up and it feels very similar. Just what I wanted.

The guitar and pickup combination can easily be used for country, rock, blues, etc. It really sounds great. I wish I had discovered this pickup combination years ago.

Needs an R/C across the volume pot, but that is super easy.

Now, the ding.

20. Larry K. Williams

Mar 17, 2003
    Athens, GA
    No, they have not offered a discount.....not yet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.