Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NDG arrives and you find this........

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Larry K. Williams, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Larry K. Williams

Larry K. Williams Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Athens, GA
    This is my new Fender Ritchie Kotzen Tele. The knob from the switch (where your tone control normally is) was loose and rolling around. Looks like this is probably the culprit.

It came from Sweetwater, so a return would be easy. An exchange - well. They have two more, but they don't look as good, are heavier, and this one has a lot of flame in the maple neck. It feels good. I don't know how it sounds plugged, have not made it that far yet. Acoustically, it sounds really good.

I notified the Sweetwater rep. He says he created a service ticket and wants me to talk to the service dept there. Now, this is a urethane finish....so repair of the finish will be quite noticeable, I think.

AND - this is a small gouge into the finish. It won't rub out. When you drag fingernail along the edge, the ding grabs your nail.

What is the TDPri opinion? Keep and ask for some consideration, return, exchange, other???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dr_tom

dr_tom Tele-Meister

Sep 21, 2013
    Ontario
    First battle scar. I'd keep it and see about a discount.

robt57, 8barlouie, brogh and 27 others like this.

3. Heyitsmejoeg

Heyitsmejoeg TDPRI Member

Jan 3, 2015
    NYC
    Luv the neck on these guitars. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!

4. LooseJack

LooseJack Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2017
    transit lounge
    Ask for discount
    Play it lots
    Add more dings

5. kmcanney

kmcanney Tele-Meister

Jul 16, 2007
    Wisconsin
    If you like the guitar and hate the gash, I’d touch it up with some black nail polish, wet sand (very gently) and call it good. You should be able to make it almost disappear.

6. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2003
    WALTHAM MA
    I agree with the black nail polish approach, in fact I have done this very thing and it worked just fine.

After a few years of play the polish kinda flattened out and you couldn't really even see it..............

Best of luck

Gary

7. Crobbins

Crobbins Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Meiners Oaks CA.
    If you like it, ask for a discount. Congrats.

Fiesta Red and Veltek like this.

8. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2016
    Stygian Gulf
    If you find that it feels and sounds excellent, keep it. Sweetwater will give you a discount. A guitar that speaks to you is hard to find.

9. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    You deserve a discount at the least

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Great guitar!
    I'd keep it and play it.
    Minor wounds are going to happen.

11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yep, if you bonded with it, keep it and get the discount. Your Sweetwater rep should help you out.

12. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    See if they'll give you a discount or some kind of swag, maybe some cables or something. If it sounds good unplugged, it'll sound good plugged in with good electronics.

13. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Get them to send you some bulk strings and a leather strap. Take it down the local auto repair. They'll buff it out in ten seconds. Or - your guitar has it's first battlescars and you won't notice the next...... I'd try for some compensation in kind. Keep it. It's in an innocuous place. You'll probably mark it up yourself in months.

14. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I would go for a discount and fix it with black fingernail polish and CA glue. You can make it nearly invisible without too much work. Making it completely invisible is possible, but considerably more work. ;)

Obsessed likes this.

15. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2011
    South Florida
    I agree with keeping it and shooting for a discount. Should be no problem with SW.

16. Larry K. Williams

Larry K. Williams Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2003
    Athens, GA
    Here is what she looks like from the front.

[​IMG]

Deeve, shupe13, andrew86h and 14 others like this.

17. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    I agree with the notion that if you like it, keep it. You can fix a ding like that in 5 seconds with a sharpie. You may need to hit Sweetwater pretty hard to get a fair discount. Cry like a baby and squeal like a stuck pig. I got an amp from them, a DR; it came with a busted reverb tank cable. An easy fix, I just replaced it, but the $10 credit they gave me seemed cheap-cheap; I could've made them take it back and send a new one; at least $100 in shipping cost I saved them.

I'm tempted to urge you to send yours back and make them eat it, 'cause I guess I'm still grouchy about my experience, but that would just be for revenge.

AxemanVR likes this.

18. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2011
    Kentucky
    I vote for asking for a discount and NOT trying to fix it with nail polish. I've seen a lot of guitars with far more offending nail polish fixes than the original dings likely were. Maybe the tdpri folks around here are better at it than most, but I've seen some bad examples in the local music shops.

P Thought and Piggy Stu like this.

19. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Nail polish works. You just have to get the right shade.

Hell, I've fixed imperfections with a Sharpie.

Edit:

I just now saw that Blue Bill confirmed my Sharpie fix.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    Blue Bill likes this.

20. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    It's a Beauty, it would take more than a couple of scratches to make me part with it. Platefire

Tell them you want $50 credit with them.

P Thought and FirTrader like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.