Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NCPD- Caline Crazy Cacti : poor man's Fulldrive 2?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by czech-one-2, Jan 23, 2014.

1. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2012
    Land of the Merlion
    Yup this. My mini RAT ENO took almost 3 weeks and I'm in Asia! well perhaps the delay was due to the Chinese New Year but still slow...... I bugged the guy via E-mail and Chat. He's pretty ok and responsive.

2. jgmouton

jgmouton Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2009
    Europe
    Can you chat with them?

3. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2012
    Land of the Merlion
    Yes sir. Look on the upper right corner of the screen and you will see "Live Chat"
    Though it might be a challenge if you are not in Asia Time Zone to reach to him :p

4. thehodgmeister

thehodgmeister Tele-Meister

Jul 25, 2013
    Nottinghamshire
    What would be a good option as a boost pedal?

5. dntfeartherevrb

dntfeartherevrb Tele-Meister

Mar 10, 2014
    Panora, Iowa
    I have the CP18 orange boost. I currently run it as a drive, but it can be used as a boost as well. I think it's supposed to be a clone of an Xotic BB Preamp.

6. dntfeartherevrb

dntfeartherevrb Tele-Meister

Mar 10, 2014
    Panora, Iowa
    ummmmmm Orange Burst not Boost

7. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    My MXR Distortion+ (dead for the past ten years or more) cost £49 back in 1976 which was about two weeks wages at the time. I have lived without an OD pedal since then, so I cannot relate to many of the comparisons here, but given the weight of good recommendations, it was late at night, and Amazon had them at £23 delivered, there is a Crazy Cactus heading my way.

8. thehodgmeister

Jul 25, 2013
    Nottinghamshire
    Do you have link I want one but cant find it on Amazon?

9. thehodgmeister

Jul 25, 2013
    Nottinghamshire
    On a pedal board would you have a pure sky as boost then crazy cactus as drive or does the crazy cactus do this in one? What does the englishman and orange burst actually do? Would these be useful additions or would I be wasting money as they could be dialled in to sound similar? Forgive my naivety as can't find decent demos online!
    Running the risk of having a complete library of Caline pedals are the delays and compressor any good or would another budget make be better?

10. SchwagRock

SchwagRock NEW MEMBER!

Apr 18, 2014
    NJ
    Calines

I'm glad to hear some of you are having success with the Caline pedals.

I'm getting curious about both the Pure Sky and Crazy Cacti now. Damn GAS!

I've been around the block with a couple of Calines already.
    I purchased the Deep Blue delay, which I found to be a perfectly solid, no-frills delay pedal. I know it has digital circuitry in it, but it still responds like an Analog delay. I've gotten some good use out of it, and it looks like a keeper.

After that, I tried out the Orange Burst overdrive. that one fooled me a little bit. I tried it out at home, at "bedroom" levels, and thought it sounded great. Really smooth gain, the volume knob seemed to have a lot of range, and the bass/treble knobs made it possible to find a some good sweet spots.
    But it all came crashing down next time I was in practice and playing at band levels. Now all of a sudden that nice smooth drive was brittle and fizzy, the volume levels were not as impressive, and I had to just about dime the volume knob to get it where I needed it, which also meant it got incredibly noisy when engaged if I wasn't playing.

I ended up giving the pedal to my bandmate, who has been getting some use for it as a clean boost. It seems to hold up pretty well in that role, but I was looking for a smooth saturated overrdrive, and the Orange Burst didn't deliver.

11. ficelles

ficelles NEW MEMBER!

Nov 10, 2014
    Devon, England
    Ok so I have just received a Crazy Cacti and spent an hour with it. I am very very familiar with the Fulltone Fulldrive II and have owned every version up to and including the Mosfet.

The Caline pedal is absolutely nothing like a Fulltone Fulldrive II except in that it's a distortion pedal that appears to have the same controls. You can't get the sounds you can from an FD2. The controls don't work in the the same way, particularly the toggle switches, and it doesn't take a battery. The build quality internally is pretty much what you'd expect from the price (yes I have taken it apart). The integrated overdrive that retains all the detail of your playing that you get with an FD2 just isn't there. All in all, I think Mike Fuller won't be losing any sleep over this apparent clone!

That said, I have had a Caline Pure Sky for some time now and it is one of the best clean boost through to low-gain overdrive pedals I've yet owned so not knocking the company, just being realistic about this particular offering.

If you want a cheap 2-channel overdrive then the Crazy Cacti is fine and there are some usable sounds in there. If you want a Fulldrive II, buy a Fulltone.

If anyone wants to see some internal detail, I can put some photos up.

ficelles

Felino likes this.

12. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

always like to see gut shots :D

im morbid i guess.
    chris.

13. SanSystem

SanSystem TDPRI Member

Apr 5, 2011
    France
    Personally, I find the "Crazy Cacti" awesome.

My Review :

14. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs

15. RedRock

RedRock Tele-Holic

Jun 1, 2008
    Nevada
    San,

Your playing is great, and you make the Crazy Cacti sound like
    a million bucks.

16. anonymous12

anonymous12 TDPRI Member

Sep 21, 2017
    USA
    Just got a Crazy Cacti in the mail today. It sounds great, but I have a couple of questions for those of you who own one. I want to make sure mine is working properly:

- The mosfet switch seems to only have an effect on the sound in vintage mode. Is this normal?
    - There's a strong reduction in volume when switching from mosfet mode to standard mode when in vintage mode. Is this normal?

17. capt pearl

capt pearl Tele-Meister

Jul 8, 2003
    Crap review. Now I gots Pedal GAS. ️. (PAS)
    Heh. Just kidding. Great stuff

18. anonymous12

anonymous12 TDPRI Member

Sep 21, 2017
    USA
    Caline got back to me via email and told me the behavior I described above is, indeed, normal. Just posting in case anyone else Googles this behavior in the future like I did wondering if their pedal is working right.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.