Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NCPD- Caline Crazy Cacti : poor man's Fulldrive 2?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by czech-one-2, Jan 23, 2014.

1. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    ^ The 'Englishman' uses the full sized Taiwan blue 3pdt. Havn't cracked open the CCC but I would assume it does too.
    Also, they're $48.00 now since my original post, guess I should have waited.:lol:

2. Iago

Iago Tele-Afflicted

Sep 18, 2006
    Brazil
    Thanks, man!

3. jgmouton

jgmouton Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2009
    Europe
    Czech, did you receive your Pure Sky?

4. czech-one-2

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    Not yet, this ones taking a bit longer due to the long Chinese holiday I think...
    I'd like to hear if anybody else has bought a Crazy Cacti, I'm still in honeymoon phase but its a keeper for sure!

5. jgmouton

jgmouton Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2009
    Europe
    Actually I'm hesitating between the two... or take both :)

6. telefan62

telefan62 Tele-Meister

Nov 17, 2009
    Silicon Valley, CA
    I have a crazy cacti and I'm enjoying it. It's a dead ringer, at least as far as it's sound, for a FD2. It's really flexible, and I can see myself using it in different ways over time but, for mow, I'm using FM mode with MOSFET engaged for a slightly breaking up rhythm sound and then kicking on the boost for solos. It's a great little pedal for fifty bucks.

Matter of fact, I like it so much I just ordered a Pure Sky along with an ENO RAT clone for good measure. Kind of celebrating the Chinese clone thing this Chinese New Year :)

7. czech-one-2

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    Well my Pure Sky arrived [finally, but the Chinese New Year was the culprit] and I've been putting it through its paces. In a word...OUTSTANDING! Its going on the pedalboard for sure, bumping off my Red Llama clone [used for low gain] and Blues Breaker V1 clone.
    I cant say if this is a Timmy clone or not having never owned one, but if it is, I can't understand why folks say its not voiced for clean Fender blackface amps :confused: Its the perfect low gainer IMHO and anybody who has ever bonded with a bluesbreaker/KOT pedal should really try this guy out. I'm not saying the circuits have anything in common, but the voicing definately does.
    Caline is hitting it out of the park with these two pedals.:cool:

^Telefan62, let me know when you get your pure sky and if you agree with my assessment! At $32.00 shipped from China http://www.donnerdeal.com/2013-newe...-guitar-effect-pedals-true-bypass-purple.html its got to be one of the better deals out there at the moment.

8. telefan62

telefan62 Tele-Meister

Nov 17, 2009
    Silicon Valley, CA
    I received my Pure Sky and, in the time I've had to use it....I love it. Unfortunately, I got sick right after it arrived and haven't been able to use it as much as I'd hoped but my initial impression is, like czech-one-2 - outstanding. It seems like the "more" pedal I've been looking for. Rad pedal!

9. telefan62

telefan62 Tele-Meister

Nov 17, 2009
    Silicon Valley, CA
    UPDATE: Finally got healthy enough to have a band practice last night - first run-through for the Pure Sky in a band situation. In short, it's killer! I've got a mix of some cheap and some pretty schwanky (re: $$$) pedals around here and this thing hangs with any of them.

It's a very natural sounding overdrive - I guess it's a cliche, but it doesn't sound -or, more importantly, feel- like there is a pedal between my guitar and amp. (FWIW, Les Paul Jr. Special and Carr Rambler last night.) It responds to volume knob cleanup and will get pretty nasty with P90s with the gain knob kicked up. I'd like to comment on the tone controls but, really, the best sound for me last night was with both bass and treble at noon.

I planned on using my Tele as well, but the Jr. sounded so good that I never took the Tele out of its case. Next week....

10. Strykersbane

Strykersbane NEW MEMBER!

Mar 15, 2014
    FL
    I just purchased and unfortunately had to return a CC. Bought it from Donnerdeal on a deal with another Caline pedal and I loved both. The other pedal was the Blue Ocean delay.

The CC is just awesome tonally. It sounds really good, and I brought it to a friend who has both the Fulldrive 2 and the GT500 on his board and he was super skeptical about it. I too had to wait for Chinese New Year (wouldn't it be nice to get a month off for New Years?) and he was ready to smack me when I first told him about my ordering of Chinese pedals.

After he'd played them, though, he was quite impressed as well.

The pedal sounds pretty smooth, and the reason for the return is a QC issue. I'll be having another shipped out to me (hopefully soon) because I just love the sound of this thing.

I believe this has been answered already, but the boost does nothing w/o the Drive engaged. Never having owned a FD, I'm not sure what normal behavior is, but the harder you drive the first stage the less the boost makes a difference in the final tone.

Build quality is really good, and although I don't have mine sitting in front of me right now, I believe that the toggles are full switches.

11. czech-one-2

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    ^ Thats good to hear that your take on it is positive.I'm really enjoying mine and recently had a gig with it and the blue sky on my board and it was a great combination.Glad to hear that Donnerdeal is standing behind the products and are making things right. Can I ask what the problem was?

12. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Got mine a couple weeks ago, great, great pedal for $48. Hope it holds up well.

Lined it up with $60 EH Soulfood, nice combo for $108 that would satisfy most folks OD needs.

13. Damn, I'm really itching to flip for one of those Crazy Cactis, they're £25 on eBay here in England.

14. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2012
    Land of the Merlion
    Still GASsing for this... just can't pull the trigger yet due to other expenses.

Has anybody A/B this with an original Fulldrive?

15. I went for it! Seller reduced the already cool price to £22.95 inc. postage. Now I'll have to figure out whether to put it before or after my EH Hot tubes.

16. jgmouton

jgmouton Tele-Meister

Jun 21, 2009
    Europe

17. shourah

shourah TDPRI Member

Jan 29, 2014
    Jakarta
    8 days?? where do you buy it from?

[​IMG]

18. RedRock

RedRock Tele-Holic

Jun 1, 2008
    Nevada
    I had a similar experience with donnerdeal.
    They got my money via PayPal on Jan. 29.
    I finally got the items the 2nd week in March.
    I am in the Southwest USA.

19. thehodgmeister

thehodgmeister Tele-Meister

Jul 25, 2013
    Nottinghamshire
    Anyone tried the compressor, hot mushroom I think? Anything like dynacomp etc?!

20. czech-one-2

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    Yeah, not the fastest shipping, thats for sure. But when you figure that they ship for free and the pedals are a bargain its worth having a little patience...
    Never heard the Caline compressor, but I asked them what it was based on and I was told its a dyna-comp clone. I already have a Joyo comp so I'm good there.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.