Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NCPD- Caline Crazy Cacti : poor man's Fulldrive 2?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by czech-one-2, Jan 23, 2014.

1. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    Having owned a couple original Fulldrive 2's over the years the idea of a fulldrive 2 in a smaller footprint appealed to me. Since I cant afford a Fulldrive 3 [same size enclosure] I decided to spring for the Caline CC.
    I'm really happy with this one! In vintage mode it sounds just like the original to my ears. Vintage/flat mid/comp cut all effect the clipping in the same way as the original. I've never owned a 'mosfet' Fulldrive 2 and the mosfet mode on this one really changes up the feel of the drive. I'm prefering the standard mode but its nice to have the mosfet option. All the pots are tapered nicely and the build quality seems totally gig worthy.The boost works exactly like the original, adding more girth and grit to the overdrive without any huge jumps in volume.Pet peaves? Why do all the Chinese manufacturers put lock-washers on the outside of enclosures:confused: Anybody looking for a fulldrive or tubescreamer should check this guy out! I Got mine shipped to my door in Europe in 8 days here- http://www.donnerdeal.com/caline-cp-20-crazy-cacti-overdrive-guitar-effects-pedal-green.html
    While $80.00+ Mooer pedals are no longer a deal,$52.00 with free global shipping is a bargain for this one. :cool:

Attached Files:

2. thecornman

thecornman Tele-Meister

Jan 3, 2014
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Right on glad to hear you like it! I have been thinking of picking one of these up myself. I just recently got the Blue Ocean delay and English Man distortion that Caline make and am very pleased with both of them. They do seem to be put together well and both of them sound great. I also have the Chorus of theirs coming in the mail at the moment. The Caline stuff can be found for next to nothing on ebay.

3. czech-one-2

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    ^Yeah, I also got a surf green Caline Englishman[most are the red/white/blue variety] Purportedly based on the Carl Martin Plexi-tone, but I cant verify that. I can verify that its a great,non muddy hard rock distortion.:cool:

Attached Files:

4. thecornman

thecornman Tele-Meister

Jan 3, 2014
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Ya I also got the green one! Loving it so far, but will give it a good test tonight at band volume at practice.

5. czech-one-2

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    My only quibble with the Englishman is that the gain pot jumps up to full-on pretty early in its rotation. I may try one with a different taper in the future.
    The CCC pots are tapered perfectly though!

6. thecornman

thecornman Tele-Meister

Jan 3, 2014
    Saskatoon, Canada
    Yes I noticed there is a huge amount of gain fast with it! I have the gain turned down to almost nothing on it. Running through small watt tube amps cranked up i do not need that kind of gain on tap. I do really like the sound of it though. Gives me a good marshall sound through my amps. I will see how it performs tonight with the band before I decide if it will stay on my board.

7. czech-one-2

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    Well, being the tweeker that I am I decided to fix the gain pot issue with my Englishman. It sure looks like the three knob plexitone to me. 3 leds for clipping and what appears to be the same chip arrangement, only the Caline builders have sanded all lettering off of them! It uses a 1Meg A pot so I decided to try a 100KW pot that I had and bingo, perfect taper from almost clean to high gain. So its more like the plexitone crunch channel, while the 1MA gain pot is strictly high gain. Its going on the board now, before the CCC :cool:
    I snapped some pics while I had it apart, what do you think? Plexitone!

Attached Files:

8. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2009
    Champaign, IL
    Thanks for the info and pics Czech. I have been curious about these. How's the build quality? If a pic of inside isn't too much bother, I'd like to have a look-see.

You said it is smaller than the FD. What are the dimensions of the CC anyway?

9. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2012
    Land of the Merlion
    As a Fulltone FDII owner, I would just have to say that ... it looks hideously cheap looking box :D What's up with that kid-like fonts?

Having said that, I'm n advocate of cheap pedals so... off I go to Donner/ Amazo to check my buying options and purchase it ASAP!!
    :lol:

10. czech-one-2

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    Its 4 1/2'' x 3 1/2'',standard hammond 1590BB size.
    Its now zip tied on to my pedalboard though so I wont be cracking it open soon. I'd say the build is a small step above Joyo as the footswitches are board mounted instead of the ultra thin ribbon cable that Joyo uses. I know 'board mounted' is frowned upon, but I see it as a step above hair-thin wires from the switch to pcb. And you dont see socketed chips in Joyos. [and who,other than Hermida, sands the lettering off the chips?]:lol:
    The pots are better too, they are the long legged board mounted type. The 100k gain pot that I used in the Englishman was from an old DOD FX80B, and was a perfect match.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014

11. czech-one-2

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    I agree the graphics could have been classier and they could have stuck to one type font instead of 5 - 7 :lol:
    At least theres no Dog,Shark or Scorpion on it! Actually, I'm digging the Cactus theme :cool:
    The Englishman looks even better, and surf green is my favorite color.

12. Jesse James

Jesse James Tele-Meister

Jan 31, 2005
    Cimarron, Kansas
    Anybody tried the Pure Sky? Looks like a Timmy to me. $30 sounds like a pretty good deal.

13. czech-one-2

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    I believe that one has been dissected and verified to be based on the Timmy.
    I know fans of Paul C [count me in], Mike Fuller etc and the buy USA only crowd are probably not too happy with my post. My advice is if you can swing the price of buying the original, do it! Definitely better build quality and your supporting the minds that thought this stuff up.
    If, however, your on a tight budget like myself, its awesome to have these circuits offered in a totally gig-worthy package at a price that wont send the Wife into lecture alert mode....:lol:

14. czech-one-2

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    Well, I've got a Pure Sky coming too...''Somebody stop me!'':lol:
    $31.00 is tough to beat and I can flip it for that in a day over here if need be. I've always wanted to hear a Timmy so this is one way to try one and see if its for me. Much better package than those clam-shell Dano's too!
    Got to use the CCC and Englishman at volume for a rehearsal and they both sounded great. The Englishman really shined and sounded huge and amp-like, I'm a big fan of this one!:cool:

15. valvestate

valvestate Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2012
    Land of the Merlion
    Please do report back, I'm also interested in that TimmyClone! I'm also looking at that in DonnerDeal, I love the Dano TOD V1 but the clam shell is reall a pain!

I'm currently waiting for my ENO RAT Clone from them ! :
    mrgreen:

16. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Nice, if it's half as good as FD for $48 shipped I'll be happy. $48 a no brainer to try. I love green anything thou.

17. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Rhode Island
    I believe in buying the original pedals whenever possible. There is an ethical issue about copying someone's R&D, and of course, the knockoffs are cheaply made, cutting corners wherever possible. Over time, I don't think they're of the quality and reliability required to be permanently gig worthy.

I must admit, I do have a bunch of Joyo and Behringer pedals. I usually buy cheap when I'm curious about one. If the pedal works out, and finds itself on my board, I end up replacing it with the original. If I lose interest, or it doesn't provide something I like or need, it goes in my big wooden unused pedal box. It is a pretty big box!!

Works for me.

P.

18. thecornman

thecornman Tele-Meister

Jan 3, 2014
    Saskatoon, Canada
    I understand your stance and can respect the way you look at it! Thing is there are very few original circuits being made by anyone out there these days whether it is run of the mill company, boutique company or a chinese company. There are just a lot of people coyping what has already been done maybe with a minor tweak here or there.

Just look at what EHX is putting out these days! Clones of other pedals that have already been done and people are all over them. IMO the quality control and parts used are no better then what many of the chinese companies are putting out at the moment. Maybe even worse. I am sure there are more then a few people out there that have a problem buying the chinese stuff that have no problem buying the EHX stuff.

Then you look at a company like Boss that is actually trying to do something that is new! Lots of people complain, because they are not doing the same old. Those people seem to have a problem with anything that doesn't sound like what has already been done.

As long as the guitar playing community is stuck in the past trying recreate what has already been done instead of trying to move forward and be innovative these companies are going to keep putting out what has been done before, because it will sell.

19. czech-one-2

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    ^ I agree with thecornman!
    For me however, its just a simple matter of economics. I mean, I'd love a board full of Strymon and Moog pedals and always wanted a beach house in North San Diego County, but neither are very likely at the moment...:lol:

20. Iago

Iago Tele-Afflicted

Sep 18, 2006
    Brazil
    Czech, do they have "full-sized" footswitches?

[​IMG]

Like the green one, not the black one :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.