Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NBFBD: Barefoot Buttons

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by tele_pathic, Sep 10, 2017.

1. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Dec 7, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    The leverage isn't increased (you'd need a lever for that lol) but the surface area in contact with your foot is, so you're exerting less force per unit area with your foot. So your assessment of it being easier to push makes sense from an engineering standpoint.

2. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Tele-Afflicted

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    Exactly. And while I'll NEVER play barefoot on stage, they are much more awesomer than I thought they would be.

FWIW, I've seen video of musicians playing barefoot on stage (like Samantha Fish), and all I can think of is, "NO!!!"

Leverage and surface area are the same, aren't they? *trigger words* (Did I mention I teach English? And I probably couldn't do that without an electronic gradebook)

3. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Dec 7, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    They're not, but they can affect the required applied force similarly (providing a form of mechanical advantage).
    Leverage implies force applied over a distance with a fulcrum or fixed hinge. A see-saw is a 1:1 lever. Skew that one way or the other and two children of the same weight no longer apply the same force upon the other (the further you are from the fulcrum/hinge, the less force required to move the object near the hinge).
    Surface area is the area over which a load is applied. Any time a load is applied, in a practical sense (not a point load - applied at a singular infinitely small, ideal point), can be thought of as pressure rather than force (because the force is applied over an area - PSI = lbs/sq.in.). So when you consider that force to move a switch stays constant (lbs = PSI x sq.in.) but the area of application increases, the pressure applied similarly must drop by the same factor - which results in it feeling easier to push (the total force exerted by/onto your foot is the same, but is spread over a larger area, impacting each less).
    And hey man, people have to teach English and people have to be Engineers. I feel kind of like a dick for calling out the terminology and I apologize. It's one of those things that my mouth moves faster than my brain - despite my mouth being my fingers in this case.

4. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    Here's a way to explain it, a standard stomp is like stepping on a piece of lego and one of these is like stepping on a coaster. :lol: The force is the same but more pressure on your foot hurts and a smaller surface area and the same exerted force means more pressure. The less force thing is psychological because it wouldn't hurt to exert a lot of force on one of these bigger buttons so naturally, you won't hold back..

Anode100 likes this.

5. pdcorlis

pdcorlis Tele-Meister

Love them little Mooer Footswitch Toppers for all the obvious reasons...

6. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    I'm seeing a Rare image of a shark stepping on a Lego allthough no one posted it. :lol:

7. tele_pathic

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    No worries, man. It's allllllll goooddd

8. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Holic

Sep 11, 2016
    L.A.
    I like 'em. I play barefoot a lot. But I think it makes it easier to hit the button when I'm wearing shoes too.

They are pricey. I want to try the Mooer version next.

Umm...cuz I live at the beach and it's a lifestyle thing. I wear flip flops a lot of the time but I kick 'em off to play music. Not gonna go run and put on shoes just to jam a few tunes when the mood strikes.

You got a problem with playing barefoot?o_O

9. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    I think their great and extremely functional. I got in on Kickstarter thing for 10 at a discount, then they threw in a couple freebies to all their backers so I think I got dozen for 60% of what go for now.

They also have a tall boy model now which is great for 2nd row pedals to get its switch up over knobs of your 1st row pedals or pedals where you sometimes hit knobs when your clicking it on.

[​IMG]

jddub440 and Alamo like this.

10. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    I don't play barefoot , but, I am a tad older than I use to be.

I might think of these for myself.

Call them "senior buttons".. can't miss with a target that big :)

pdcorlis likes this.

11. jklotz

jklotz Tele-Afflicted

Jan 10, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Hmm, I don't see doing the entire board, but I'm going to try 1 for my lead boost. There have been a few dark stages where I'd miss it at just the wrong time. Seems like a bigger target could be useful for that.

12. tele_pathic

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    I noticed the tallboys, but they were $2 more/button. And I'm a cheap basturd so I decided against those. These really are more useful then I had first presumed.

13. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I have been thinking about these for awhile. Good to see someone actually installing them and using them. My looper has stiff switches and sometimes I'm just in socks when developing songs, so these would come in handy. Thanks for posting.

14. tele_pathic

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    Oh man...I think I might have a problem: I think I might be addicted to these barefoot pedals and want to add one to all my pedals, not just my switcher. Dang it!!! Please...someone talk me off the ledge. I already added a couple more....I did the math and it ain't purdy: 7x$9, plus a couple need to be tallboys, so that's $11. Nearly $100 just to look cool, but dang

IMG_1491.JPG

15. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    ^^ You are into trouble!

$100 would buy me three new pedals. I'm a cheap skate and I'm glad I can enjoy the function my Mooer Toppers.
    do they look as cool as yours?
    nope, not at all -- but they work fine.

16. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    they look epic, they make the standard footswitches look like pots without knobs :lol:

Alamo likes this.

17. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2015
    Seligenstadt, Germany
    I use the Mooer Candy Toppers - budget price, so no problem, if one cracks (they are made from plastic).
    It is not about playing barefoot, 'though our rehearsal room is in one of rooms of our singer's house and it's more like playing in a living-room, not the common smelly dungeon rehearsal room.....
    It's about hitting the right switch.....I have a Strymon Flint, T-Rex Reptile and a Red Panda Raster all in one line on my board and I was constantly mis-stepping, solved that with the Candy Toppers.

Alamo likes this.

18. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    I too often play barefoot around the house.

It's the way forwards.

I know I'll be buying a couple of these big buttons shortly. Thanks for the heads-up!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.