Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

NBD ( New Bike Day )

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by w3stie, Sep 22, 2017.

1. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    Well I have no intention of doing any hard core riding, just a little easy cruising. But the reasons for this purchase are long and boring ... so here they are :)

My wife has had MS for about 30 years and we used to enjoy bushwalking and just walking the dog etc. But as the MS worsened, about 17 years ago I got her a handcycle; which is a recumbent trike you power by hand. We used this to go riding together, although it was at a very sedate pace. She struggled with the derailleur gears, so we got one with a Shimano Nexus 7-speed hub. Hub gears can be changed when you are stalled on a hill, whereas derailleurs can not.

So we both had hand cycles, because misery loves company ;) Actually they are very cool looking machines and attract attention wherever we go. But with the progression of the disease, it's all becoming too hard, so I am converting her hand cycle to electric drive using a kit from China. This will mean once more she can power along at 12 km/h ( woohoo), and I have decided to sell the other hand bike and tag along on the new bike.

It should mean we can go on longer treks together like we used to.

The fixie upgrade-itis though, is entirely my choice ;)

2. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    That's beautiful, w3stie! You're such a good man. I'm a real wuss. I need gears and brakes just go around the block! My best to you and the Mrs...

w3stie likes this.

3. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    I used to commute everywhere from my small town into the city on just about every errand (about 20 miles round-trip) and covered the ride across Nebraska event for a few years on my Surly Long Haul Trucker. I absolutely love that company and this bike can do it all. I upgraded the wheels gears to save weight and allow me to keep up with traditional road cycles without losing the ability to remain stable carrying some weight.

truckerbike.jpg

4. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    That I could do! And lusted for one so I could do just that...ride across Nebraska. Going across the big railroad trestle off highway 20 up by Long Pine would be a rush...

Milspec likes this.

5. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    Though I don't have a fixed road wheel anymore, there is a pair of track sprints hanging in my garage mocking me. The tubs were glued on maybe 25 years ago and were last ridden in the previous millenium, so I wouldn't risk riding them even if I wanted to.

However, the idea of buying a new fixie (apart from one of the tandems all my previous bikes I have built myself, much like a partscaster) for the price of a used MIM Tele is attractive, maybe I'll get one for the winter to ride around town.

6. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Tele-Afflicted

Aug 24, 2014
    PNW
    Congrats. :) Enjoy and be safe.

I t looks like you will get some good, low impact (easier on your skeletal system) exercise from it. Please---wear a helmet.

7. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

Apr 28, 2010
    SE Michigan, USA
    ukepicker likes this.

8. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2015
    ca
    good story westie... hope you and ya missus have some fun rides on ya bikes !!

w3stie likes this.

9. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

You've motivated my search but I've not yet gone down any deep, dark or dumb holes.

First is I want something for the winter use that will have salt on the roads. That makes canti brakes a wise choice for works well and affordable. The single speed issue is gearing good for snow will stink for making time or vice a versa.

Any used or cyclocross or touring bike I see is not exactly cheap. There's a strong argument that a true winter bike is basically something that gets killed or sacrificed.

Old cheap 26" MTBs are used bike ubiquity but I've become fond of wagon wheels for making time and traction.

I'll be at this one way or another because I purposely did a non-bike calorie burn Monday and it was pretty boring. My wife's thinking going to a gym is the answer. I'm not convinced. I remembered last winter doing dark evening hikes to close the rings which for me is earning a treat vs looking like a model in an Apple commercial.

Of course it would all be easy if I solve it with more $$$$.

In the meanwhile I hope you're riding.

:)

10. imwjl

@w3stie, how many miles?

I've looked at bikes much like yours, sacrificial winter beaters, been scouring craigslist, and my wife says one we have on craigslist has to go first. She's totally into bikes and riding but doesn't subscribe to the bike and guitar ideal quantity formula of n + 1.

That relatively new class of ride between tourer and CX racer looks REALLY appealing.

11. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    Gday imwjl . Very few miles or even metres; in fact it hasn't gone out since I bought it :cool: I've ridden around the street to make sure I can still balance on 2 wheels ( I can ), but as per the long back story on this, I'm waiting for the arrival of an e-bike motor etc for Mrs w3stie's recumbent trike. I have been looking at bike frame building, and when I have some time, am seriously considering having a go. We already have a good workshop with Tig welder etc. How about a titanium bike ?? :)

12. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2008
    Brisbane Australia
    Good story w3stie, always nice to hear about a man who has his wife's back and looks after her.

My Malvern Star that I bought on HP in the mid 60s has a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub. This was much better than the fixed hub rat bikes I patched together as a child in the bush.

13. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach

14. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

One thing I noticed about Tele players are; we just love to keep it simple.

I love fixed gears and single speeds. Kind of like a tele. No frills, just thrills. Simplicity at it's finest.

I recently moved to Melbourne a month ago, and the first thing I bought? I bike. I set it to cruise as I had a bad fall when I tried riding a fully fixed gear back in the Philippines.

Just got this, a 2017 Fuji Feather. Super light, sturdy and smooth. Im not having any upgraditis at the moment, I figured, I'll just replace parts as they break, plus I ride my bike to work which is only 2-3 blocks away.

Commute to work has never been so relaxing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

w3stie likes this.

15. imwjl

Be careful. Frame building is one of those rabbit holes like instrument building and other hobbies. I have a friend RIP and alive who've done that. The one still with us doesn't understand why everyone doesn't have restored WWII era lathe, grinder and drill press in their basement. Doesn't understand why more just don't solve a problem with welding and a torch.

I hope it all works out as good medicine too. For my wife cycling has been sanity and strength building during and after cancer and complications.

For your interest in building. Not sure if there's an Australian version of this. I happen to think there are parallels with guitar making. All levels of stuff from factories, some of that great, and then some that's artful amazing stuff.

https://www.nahbs.com

w3stie likes this.

16. imwjl

Sweet indeed but I like complex too.

This past summer I got a totally bad a$$ complex plastic new Fuel EX and I've spent a lot of the past 20 years building trails, jumps and berms.

:)

17. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    I love coaster brakes!
    Haven't had any since I was in junior high though.
    Might need to address that.

18. imwjl

That's really easy to address.

1. There's a market full of retro style bikes as well as store bought bikes a lot like people were making as custom builds. What w3stie got is an example. You can do it at very modest prices and get really high end stuff where the prices is reflecting small batches and lots of labor from expensive places to have a living wage.

2. It looks like all the reissue or modern retro style and custom options, maybe the season where I'm at has cooled the price run up for stuff made in the 1950s - 1970s. Craigslist in my area has had some old Schwinns and a Raleigh single speed $225 - $500.

Here's my 1966 original Schwinn Typhoon. It's original but very far from a museum piece. You can still buy the original Wald made in USA quick release handlebar baskets like I have for making beer runs at the cabin.

http://www.waldsports.com/index.cfm/store/front-baskets/133-quick-release-basket/

P.S. Where's USA? Most of my stuff says made in China, Taiwan, Mexico, and the old or really fancy stuff says USA.

[​IMG]

19. imwjl

Check this out for a good example of how to get a sweet ride the really hard way.

http://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro-classic/retro-build-2017-pearl-pass-bike-1053709.html

While at it the site linked there has some neat photos of when most bikes were made in relatively small lots or all custom.

http://www.vintagemtbworkshop.com

w3stie likes this.

20. imwjl

Yesterday was NHUBD (new hardly used bike day). I extended the net for a commuter/tourer to a nice little small town shop near our cabin and got a tremendous price on near mint gen 4 2016 Fargo.

It was 6+ hours of driving in a day but a truly sweet deal, sweet bike, and enough time for a nice ride and what will likely be last look at the lake for this year.

It was also sweet to run into 3 now older guys who were pals of my deceased father in law and see them out.

The gravel grinding yesterday and 14 mi of communing this morning explained why the admittedly unusual Fargos have such a following. Fargos have for the most part been equal parts tourer, MTB and cross/grinder bike. That makes them far from a jack of all trades but master of none if you ride all over and a lot.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
    Gabrielle84 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.